Camaraderie

Remember when some existed?

Google Arrow Trucking, and be reminded of the old days.

Apologies - this link explains more: fleetowner.com/management/news/s … rrow-1223/

Yeah, did that. :confused:

csmonitor.com/Money/2009/122 … ff-workers

It fair warms the cockles of the heart don’t it. It’d be nice to think a similar think could happen here.

In my own time both me and the mrs would do any thing to help out a stranded driver but in works time I’d be too worried about my own job. what with trackers and collegues queueing up to grass on each other.

Mr B:
It fair warms the cockles of the heart don’t it. It’d be nice to think a similar think could happen here.

In my own time both me and the mrs would do any thing to help out a stranded driver but in works time I’d be too worried about my own job. what with trackers and collegues queueing up to grass on each other.

Unfortunatly that is so true more people to stab you in the back than there is to support you ! :angry:

I never really considered this before, but many of todays drivers have no idea of cameraderie as I discovered on last Sunday afternoon - this is what happened:

Last saturday morning parked in Poole I awoke to find a puncture on the drive axle, however as the boat was loading I decided to get on the boat and worry about the puncture the next day when we arrived in Santander.

Now on the boat there were THREE other drivers from the company I work for and ALL new of the puncture. Although i didnt ask for help I suppose I rather expected at least one to stop and lend a hand. But no, they all ■■■■■■ off smartish and left me to my own devices. What a bunch of tossers!!

However as it happened two other guys did help out, one even had a CP gun and airline and to be honest he ■■■■ near did the job single handedly for me - a splendid guy and to him I offer my thanks again. The other was a Northern Irish fridge driver and again thank you for your help too.

I have just jump started a dutch truck parked on the road outside, (too much night heater and telly) and he said i am the 10th driver he has asked to help all refusing, he even had his own jump leads.
The modern drivers of today don,t seem to have Camaraderie we used to have.

In days past, you would always stop to help out a fellow driver in difficulty. If it was something simple like a puncture you would give a hand, or even a mechanical problem it was a case of ‘2 heads are better than one’. I did actually stop for a ‘driver in distress’ about 3 years ago, it was 3 in the morning and his hazards were on. I asked what the problem was, his ‘cab tilt’ light had come on. I asked if he’d lifted the cab and dropped it, he looked at me as if I was from outer space. I asked him to open the side locker (that wasn’t easy), I took out the jacking handle, lifted up the cab and dropped it down, warning light goes out. You’ve dropped me right in it now he said, why? we have to phone in with any problems. Ok, says I, tell them a bad man stopped and fixed it for you. This was a Tesco vehicle, as a class 1 driver this guy really should’ve known basic stuff like this. Anyway although I strayed off the subject a bit, gone are the days when drivers helped each other out. Happy Christmas.

Tiger

Fastrantiger:
In days past, you would always stop to help out a fellow driver in difficulty. If it was something simple like a puncture you would give a hand, or even a mechanical problem it was a case of ‘2 heads are better than one’. I did actually stop for a ‘driver in distress’ about 3 years ago, it was 3 in the morning and his hazards were on. I asked what the problem was, his ‘cab tilt’ light had come on. I asked if he’d lifted the cab and dropped it, he looked at me as if I was from outer space. I asked him to open the side locker (that wasn’t easy), I took out the jacking handle, lifted up the cab and dropped it down, warning light goes out. You’ve dropped me right in it now he said, why? we have to phone in with any problems. Ok, says I, tell them a bad man stopped and fixed it for you. This was a Tesco vehicle, as a class 1 driver this guy really should’ve known basic stuff like this. Anyway although I strayed off the subject a bit, gone are the days when drivers helped each other out. Happy Christmas.

Tiger

There I think is the problem, there are today literally thousands of drivers who have done little else other than work for large companys on supermarket work. These companys reduce everything down to the lowest possible common denominator and actively discourage any use of common sense. If its not in the company drivers checklist then you dont do it, you call the office and let a “grown up” decide what you do next. God knows what this bloke would have done in my position a couple of weeks ago - the starter motor packed up, so instead of paying Renault a grand to replace it, the boss sent me a new starter motor and a bag of spanners down on the next lorry to do it myself.

Hombre, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Drivers are paid ‘not’ to think nowadays, all they need to know is how to drive in straight lines and use a mobile phone. Anything more than a blown bulb, and they’re stuffed. Maybe this new CPC stuff might teach drivers the practicalities of driving, though I wouldn’t hold my breath :confused:

Tiger.

I doubt it very, very much.

The problem is many drivers aren’t allowed to touch thier trucks if it goes wrong, if you’ve read a recent thread about the driver who replaced an airline and was hauled in a a disiplinary hear a few day later. If he’d just phoned and said “Truck broken, come fix” then he would have been in the clear.

As for your so called workmates not stopping to help you Hombre, that’s disgusting. I’ve often worked for small companies and you always help each other out, even if it was just helping them strap a load or offer to buy them tea if they were in a the Cafe. If you didn’t you’d soon have no friends there as word would get round.

There are always those who disappear swiftly when there is work to be done, especially if that work involves getting your hands dirty, or getting cold and wet.

For some strange reason it always seems to be the same ones - cant think why!

Fastrantiger:
Hombre, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Drivers are paid ‘not’ to think nowadays, all they need to know is how to drive in straight lines and use a mobile phone. Anything more than a blown bulb, and they’re stuffed. Maybe this new CPC stuff might teach drivers the practicalities of driving, though I wouldn’t hold my breath :confused:

Tiger.

Some drivers wont even change a light bulb,it’s not in their contract to do that. :confused: