Camaraderie, is it dead?

I did a little talky video about this during the week. Be interested to know what you think, my thoughts are in the video-

m.youtube.com/watch?google_comme … view_type=

I don’t normally post videos on here anymore, but Lorn Traka got so hot under the collar over me the other day I thought it would be a shame not to ruin his Saturday. :smiley: :wink:

Nah. From my short time driving I’ve found that 99% of drivers I’ve spoken too have been very help and nice to me. I had two drivers offer to let me tip before them as I was running out of hours even though I turned up after them.

Never found that after eating food that it ended in steamy love making session.

So on that comment no camaraderie

switchlogic:
I did a little talky video about this during the week. Be interested to know what you think, my thoughts are in the video-

I don’t normally post videos on here anymore, but Lorn Traka got so hot under the collar over me the other day I thought it would be a shame not to ruin his Saturday. :smiley: :wink:

Obvious youtube view stat padding is obvious?

What you looking at?

Left hand down!:

switchlogic:

Obvious youtube view stat padding is obvious?

Gold star for you :wink:

Radar19:
Nah. From my short time driving I’ve found that 99% of drivers I’ve spoken too have been very help and nice to me. I had two drivers offer to let me tip before them as I was running out of hours even though I turned up after them.

What happens on the road stays on the road eh? :wink:

switchlogic:

Radar19:

What happens on the road stays on the road eh? :wink:

Mind out the gutter!

In my experience the “camaraderie is dead” line is used by drivers that talk complete crap anyway.,too many blokes think you want to listen to them tell there tales of life and negativity.
Like Luke says in the video on a forum you can choose who you talk to,

I’m not an anti social bloke and I find it a nice change when I have a decent chat with a driver about sport or music or holidays etc.
When I driver comes up to me with the opening words of “guess what my gaffer expect me to ■■■■■■ do now, well he can eff off” normally gets told politely that I’m not interested in talking to them. :smiley:

One lad I used to meet, his opening words were " You got 10 mins of diesel, then the subject changes"

I’m happy to chat but don’t go out my way looking for a conversation, mainly because I’m a bit shy. If another driver starts talking I’m happy to listen and join in as the convo will normally start with work matters then move onto more interesting stuff.

Although if in a room with just me and one other driver I may start a convo.

In group situations like RDC waiting rooms often heads are buried into smartphones finger-swiping away like a load of teenagers.

Sure theres some real personalities still on the road that are great for a laugh, maybe we need to talk a bit more.

I’ll be happy if I never have to sit in a drivers waiting room ever again. How some drivers who pull tautliners and fridges can be so dirty and greasy baffles me. I don’t want to talk to a fat buffoon with green teeth and a weeks worth of bo.

I think that camaraderie has been in a steady decline in the 10 years that I’ve been driving but more on the road than in general. Such as drivers not flashing you in after you have passed ( I find that tanker drivers and supermarket drivers are the main culprits in this) also it’s getting a regular trait of drivers to not even acknowledge you with a thanks when you pull out to let them onto the motorway or slow down for them to let them overtake a slower vehicle.
Them you get the tossers that won’t let you pass them after you have got 3 quarters past them only do be doing the same speed on flat roads instead of easing off a couple of clicks on the cruise control. I find that in RDC’S that people these days are sick of hearing the usuall ■■■■■■■■ that different drivers spout on different days and they would rather be engrossed in a book or read a paper just to try and block the nonsense out and it’s always the same nonsense day in day out.
Also as others have said the modern age of mobiles, tablets and I Pads have probably done more to help make camaraderie almost a thing of the past in these places. However I don’t feel that camaraderie is a thing of the past when you’re back in the yard, I still feel that if a driver needs a hand of wants some advice off his peers then camaraderie is still alive and well.
Mind you I guess that it could go the other way depending on the size of the company, such as the small family haulier camaraderie will be everywhere not just between the drivers but also between management, traffic office and drivers but at the big multi nationals you will be just another number on the pay roll and this will show more in drivers attitudes towards other drivers especially new lads. I would say though that it’s not just in transport where people may think camaraderie is a thing of the past, the world we live in now is so fast paced and cut throat that camaraderie may be a thing of the past in all walks of life.

Not entirely, spotted a UK reg truck parked behind a non UK truck on the A1, with the driver helping jonny foreigner change a trailer tyre the other day!

Wouldn’t say dead but certainly eroded. If you hold some drivers up even for a few seconds the abuse they aim your way can be quite something.

I get on with loads of drivers at our place and I often go out my way to help new drivers and even the odd old timer should they need it.

for every one decent bloke I talk to there are another 5 i wish i’d never made eye contact with.

I’m pretty certain that to some people, Camararderie is a type of French cheese.

Luke, X Factor have been on, your through to the next round pal :wink: :wink: :wink:

I generally avoid speaking to other drivers out on the road, like many others I just CBA getting lumbered by some boring bugger telling me his life story and a load of ■■■■■■■■. Also not interested in hearing people winge & complain about the job.

Every so often i’ll come across a driver who, just through my own instinct, looks worth talking to & i’ll try and strike up a conversation. Got some success stories but they are rare. Even at my own place of work, there are only a handful of drivers I have any time for talking to.

Just to add, in cab comforts & mobile technology I reckon are a big factor as to why camaraderie amongst trampers might have gone down hill. Drivers these days can cook their dinner in the cab whilst browsing the internet then sit back and watch TV for the night. Even catch up with the kids & missus on the phone/Skype - all this can be done from a layby with no need to leave the cab apart from to toilet (and some won’t even leave the cab for that).

It is dead for me on a night out. I’ll go and get showered, fed and then it’s back to the cab, pull the curtains around, ring the Mrs and go to bed. I tend to’ve done a 12-15 hour day on a night out and I don’t care what you earn, how much you get fined per unstrapped pallet etc, I’m not interested.