Camaraderie is alive and well

Nice to see in this day and age of ‘I’m all right Jack.’

Ken.

I too once needed a jump start, had the leads already has the truck batteries had died in the past on another driver, i was in belgium and had been weekended in a truckstop lorry park i think it was a dutch driver who was about to park up was happy to help, Likewise i wouldn’t have a problem helping out another driver if i was able to.

It’s good too hear it’s alive and we’ll but on a note of caution modern truck"s don’t like being jump started that kind act can end up blowing yours or both ecu’s to smithereens something to do with power surges. :wink:

Very true,i’ve always been advised if you have to do it then turn on every electrical consumer you can before connecting the leads,whether its true or not I don’t know.

Yeah i had heard that too, but when needs must an all that, The gaffer would of been aware that the batteries needed replacing or where getting near that stage and failed to get them sorted, Wasn’t my part of the ship as he was one of those bosses who didn’t pay you to think ,on one hand but would be telling you that your a proffesional driver you should know blah,blah,blah, That truck which was the older type of Daf CF tractor units did the same thing at a later date when i was in spain parked outside my reload address , forunately they had a trolley with several batteries on it for starting trucks with flat batteries, lol
As for the tip about switching on anything that uses lots of juice,blower motor and lights/spots should do the trick

Camaraderie is alive and well !!!
Funny thing is I was thinking the exact opposite this week, going down the road on Thursday morning with a sheeted load I pulled into southwaite to check everything was still where it should be cos it had been a wee bit breezy. Anyway to cut along story short I went over on my ankle and landed hard on my already dodgy knee cutting it wide open, now there must have been at least half a dozen drivers sitting in there motors who seen me go over but not one had the decency to ask if I was ok or needed hand back to my truck even the driver of the truck I used to pull myself up didn’t even bother.
Maybe a sign of the times and maybe I’m just a bit old school but if the ball was on the other foot I would have been straight out there.

I was recently made redundant, and I am now doing agency work, whilst looking for a ‘proper’ job, not in truck driving. Was sent to Yusen Logistics Northampton on Friday 5am. Obviously, first time there, didn’t know what to do or who to see. Other drivers were really helpful, as was the planner who went through the paperwork and the procedures. One of the drivers advised me that one of the delivery spots was really difficult to find, and told me how to make sure that I got there. It really helped having people who understood what it is like to be a ‘newbie’ at a place like that.

I asked a while back on here if anyone knew of someone who ecu had been blown by jump starting. No one had. Ive jump started my truck so many times, and Volvo came out to mine the other day and what did they use? Two batteries and jump leads.

switchlogic:
I asked a while back on here if anyone knew of someone who ecu had been blown by jump starting. No one had. Ive jump started my truck so many times, and Volvo came out to mine the other day and what did they use? Two batteries and jump leads.

I wok in a dealership switchlogic ,have only seen roughly 2 vehicles towed in where the customer has fried an ecu jump starting…The idea beind switching as many consumables on as possible is,when you jump start the alternator is quiet happy so to speak ,when you remove the jump leads you get a voltage spike ,with lights on etc then hopefully if any damage is done then hopefully a bulb will blow…Hence now days you can get surge protectors for jump leads…Like you say it isn’t a huge problem ,but it isn’t as if it is a huge problem to switch the lights on

I think Dafs are the worst offenders as their are a few firms all with Dafs that seem to have a sticker on the back saying do not jump start . You would have thought manufactures will have put surge protectors in line

alfa man:
maybe I’m just a bit old school but if the ball was on the other foot I would have been straight out there.

If that was the case maybe you wouldn’t have fell over :smiley: :blush: :blush:

switchlogic:

My old firm did after jumping an iveco 7.5 tonner. One time out of many though as they often suffered flat batterys as drivers ofren forgot to turn tail lift isolater off.
After it happened always turned lights on before jumping one and never happened. But bear in mind it was a 10 year old iveco that hadnt been well loved so electrics wernt the best to start with.