The death of drivers camaraderie

What happened to socializing after a days work with fellow drivers, it does not exist now ?
They all close their cab curtains and speak to nobody, in the cafes and truckstops, slop the grub down as soon as possible, keep the face down, avoid all eye contact.
Drivers sit on their own.
On the continent, you would share the taxi to the beach, meet in the bar for some drinks, have a large meal.
On some occasions, end up in a nightclub and mingle with the locals.
Most would have to change their own tyres by carrying a spare for the trailer and unit, we would stop and offer to help, now you just call a fitter out.

Yes it has happened.

Next topic?

Trunkers still chat - limitedly mainly to moan but at least we all agree!!

Its not completely dead, i got out of my cab last night to help a driver who was struggling to back into a space next to me in the services, we then had a 10 minute chat in the que in Mcdonalds so its very much alive :wink:

In the 50’s,60’s and 70’s, most lorry drivers were in the job because that’s all they wanted to do, or in some cases couldn’t do anything else.
So you had a lot of like minded people who didn’t have the luxury of mobile phones or radio’s, so they were glad to have chat in a transport cafe . Drivers in those days didn’t have the money for a lot of the various hobbies, that today’s drivers have.
They were glad to have a chat and put the world to rights over a mug of tea.Also if you saw another driver pulled up, you stopped and offered to help if needed. You never passed another driver who held his log book, or tacho box up that wanted a lift home.
Different day and age.

when i was on the road i would be just as toby described, mainly because 90% of folk i spoke on the road were dikheads :laughing:

(i’m sure they thought the same about me)

I’ll still talk to people, only problem is that they don’t want to talk back. :laughing:

It’s true I work in a part of a very large company and it is not the same,a lot of the blokes have retired and the new ones coming in just do not want to know,not even a flash or wave when out on the road,believe you me I have tried,it has now got to the point I don’t even look across at our motors unless I recognise who it is,they even come into truckstops or cafes or what have you avoiding eye contact and go and sit on their own,big shame really but it is the way things are now,thank you.

Blimey I barely talk to the wife now I feel like I’m ruining the trucking profession by not burning some diesel with complete strangers and singing the praises of the eaton twin splitter whilst waxing lyrical about the joys of being prepared for an unexpected night out with a clean sleeping bag and fresh pair of jammys…

Seriously though I do try but being a bit shy I rarely talk to complete strangers.
Ehhhh well apart from on tinternet where I can try and look clever with me tablet in one hand and ■■■■ in the other.
Kinda explains why some of my posts are butter spilt than otters.

I am always afraid to talk to another British driver abroad as I’m worried he’ll bang on about EE drivers running their engines all night to power their satellite systems and then slip into how great the good old days were - offering the Gendarme a 20 franc note on the tacho and a cognac just in case he found out they came from Upstairs Downstairs to Cherbourg in one hit using stolen derv!

when I first started in 89 as an hgv driver our company done a lot of work on the airport[heathrow]when waiting time backed up there was at least 10 drivers [inc myself]all standing around having a really good laugh waiting to be called on a bay,they were good times,as the OP said though it does not exist anymore now they sit in their cabs on laptops,phones,or their tellys or catching up on sleep,cant blame them really, in modern lorries there are a lot of home comforts nowadays

toby1234abc:
What happened to socializing after a days work with fellow drivers, it does not exist now ?
They all close their cab curtains and speak to nobody, in the cafes and truckstops, slop the grub down as soon as possible, keep the face down, avoid all eye contact.
Drivers sit on their own.
On the continent, you would share the taxi to the beach, meet in the bar for some drinks, have a large meal.
On some occasions, end up in a nightclub and mingle with the locals.
Most would have to change their own tyres by carrying a spare for the trailer and unit, we would stop and offer to help, now you just call a fitter out.

And what are you doing to change the situation, or is it the other persons fault ?

If you want the lack of camaraderie among us drivers to change, why not try lobbying to make ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in public socially acceptable?

That might get a few more lads out of their cabs for ya :laughing:

Oh and you’ll be able to talk to Dipper Dave in the…err…flesh :laughing:

Because the vast majority of drivers talk utter bull shine.
I will talk to most blokes but I don’t want to know there life story or how much money they earn or that they tell the boss what there doing etc etc.
If I’m doing a night out my curtains are closed straight away just incase I see one of these blokes lurking :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:
Because the vast majority of drivers talk utter bull shine.
I will talk to most blokes but I don’t want to know there life story or how much money they earn or that they tell the boss what there doing etc etc.
If I’m doing a night out my curtains are closed straight away just incase I see one of these blokes lurking :smiley:

Plambert:
I am always afraid to talk to another British driver abroad as I’m worried he’ll bang on about EE drivers running their engines all night to power their satellite systems and then slip into how great the good old days were - offering the Gendarme a 20 franc note on the tacho and a cognac just in case he found out they came from Upstairs Downstairs to Cherbourg in one hit using stolen derv!

Exactly, A perfectly good excuse for me to be an anti trucksocial human.
If I can spend my nights out away from talk of the job then happy days.

I get them saying how much they earn but I never believe what they say.
Then I get their whole days itinerary, how long at such a place, how many pallets and so on.
It seems some sing the same song from the hymn sheet.
Times have changed,just memories of meeting up at Victors near Burgos, which is called La Brujala, which means the witch.
Freds at Coslada, near Madrid.
At Rdc waiting rooms, the atmosphere is dire and dismal.
Dirty and uncomfortable chairs,Jeremy Kyle on the Plasma Tv, and vending coffee that could creosote your garden fence.
Rude goods in staff that treat drivers like a piece of canine excrement.

Radar19:
I’ll still talk to people, only problem is that they don’t want to talk back. :laughing:

I know the feeling

I talk to anyone, it doesn’t matter what your skin colour is, what your ■■■■■■■■■ is, all human’s come out the same hole.
We are born naked, we all die naked.
We are made of common minerals, and leave the Earth as just dust and ash.
I would talk to ■■■■■■, life is too short to worry what other’s think or do.

The drivers I normally get stuck with in truckstops are alcoholic and never stop rabbiting