CABOTAGE

Whilst loading a trailer toaday for widnes from the ipswich area for an overnight delivery , i was next in the queue behind a polish truck who was also loading for the same destination as i was !!! , Unless im wrong that would mean he is undertaking internal uk work !!

I thought this was now ilegal , surprise surprise they carry on regardless …

Unfortunately not mate, there are restrictions like the number of days they can remain here carrying out cabotage but if Killingholme is owt to go by those rules are widely flouted - welcome to the expanded EU :unamused:

jj72:
Unfortunately not mate, there are restrictions like the number of days they can remain here carrying out cabotage but if Killingholme is owt to go by those rules are widely flouted - welcome to the expanded EU :unamused:

You only have to go round to the truck park and have a look at the number of wolter koops on polish plates here for weeks at a time :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I think they can do 3 trips then must go back but if he was loading ipswich for widnes he is heading the wrong way home. This is a big problem at felixstowe and has been for years but very little is ever done i have tackled both vosa and my mp about the problem while vosa replied it is hard to prove and takes to murch time and manpower and my mp replied by letter saying i had the wrong idea about cabotage. So i am afraid to say we are on are own because the people who make the rules and should enforce them can not be bothered. It is ironic that the people they send back on the boat are the foreign lorrys which are driven by english drivers

EU Transport Commissioner said at a conference this week in Brussels that he wants to abolish Cabotage rules and this could happen by 2014 :frowning: :frowning:

Professor:
I think they can do 3 trips then must go back but if he was loading ipswich for widnes he is heading the wrong way home. This is a big problem at felixstowe and has been for years but very little is ever done i have tackled both vosa and my mp about the problem while vosa replied it is hard to prove and takes to murch time and manpower and my mp replied by letter saying i had the wrong idea about cabotage. So i am afraid to say we are on are own because the people who make the rules and should enforce them can not be bothered. It is ironic that the people they send back on the boat are the foreign lorrys which are driven by english drivers

youre right in the 3 jobs then ship out rule but it doesnt matter what direction it is in. you dont have to be heading back to the ferry/train.

when i was working for a certain firm on cloggie plates (DGRU-as spanky calls them) we would bring stuff in through dover, drop that somewhere say for example hoddesdon, then maybe run down to poole to do a load out of there for doncaster, across to grimsby to load fish and drop that in crick then load out of there for basingstoke, then if they could they would you get you a load out again, but if they couldnt find one they would just run you round the uk.

it is enforceable, just ask drivers to keep thier boarding passes, if they lose it and cant prove they only came in on such a date then deport the wagon. the amount of times i got stopped and asked when i last come across and it was over a week ago but i just told them it was a few days back and they let you on your way was unreal. if they do get caught its only a £200 fine for the company anyway, and sometimes they can make more than that running you round the uk rather than shipping you out empty. its the system thats wrong not the drivers or the companys they are just making a living like all of us are!

Lee G:
it is enforceable, just ask drivers to keep thier boarding passes

no need for that as the shipping companies all keep their manifests, one call to the port will suffice.

milodon:

Lee G:
it is enforceable, just ask drivers to keep thier boarding passes

no need for that as the shipping companies all keep their manifests, one call to the port will suffice.

i know but they never did phone once when i got stopped! just as easy to keep the stub…

surely they should be able to link the databases somehow?

if he was loading ipswich for widnes he is heading the wrong way home

He’s under no obligation to ship out towards home - the Ipswich-Widnes run could be a way of getting him towards the Irish ferries, for example - as long as they ship out after the given period, where they go doesn’t matter.