BRS cattle lorries

Can anyone point me in the direction of any COLOUR photos showing the shade in which BRS cattle lorries were painted?

Lonewolf Yorks:
Can anyone point me in the direction of any COLOUR photos showing the shade in which BRS cattle lorries were painted?

“The mechanic” at Abington might know something as I think BRS ran some cattle floats at Crawford or there abouts years ago !!

Bewick:

Lonewolf Yorks:

“The mechanic” at Abington might know something as I think BRS ran some cattle floats at Crawford or there abouts years ago !!

Harry Gill chased a few cows about over the years. :laughing:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Lonewolf Yorks:

Did his mate Norm push round the cow shed in a wheelbarrow !!

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Lonewolf Yorks:

:laughing:
Were they four-leggers like these?

Bananas to you Bewick, I never knew BRS owned any cows, and that was no cow shed, it was Harry’s portable loo, for when Harry had a curry, especially a vindaloo, the lorry boys used to complain to the management, and they would send me out in their most reliable mode of transport, which was a wheelbarrow, so put that in your pipe and smoke it! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: by god I am getting goodddddddddd. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

As far as I know, and according to specifications in an ancient guide book, the cab colour was dark blue as per Pickfords, with Ayres red (same as haulage and London Transport) for the wheels, with woodwork in varnished natural wood with black or brown painted ironwork. If it’s for modelling, I always use" Railmatch" Great Eastern Railway locomotive blue for Pickfords.

Hi Lonewolf,the Caledonian used to run floats at Abington in the sixties.The lorries and floats were originally green but the lorries were changed to Tayforth blue.The old wooden floats were never changed.I’mto young to remember the BRS but I’m sure they would have been red.When I started their as a school leaver in 1966 I used to serve the fuel.Amongst the other things I used to do was clean the floats and fridge vans.The fridge vans were washed inside and out with caustic soda dissolved in boiling water and brushed with a floor brush ,I remember being covered in red blotches with the splashes.The floats had wooden decks and you had to crawl on your hands and knees through all the crap and scrape it to the back and then lift the decks out on your back,I still itching thinking about.

The BRS Argyll group ran cattle bodies on flat trailers in the same shade as the rest of the fleet. My good friend Robin Masters of Eveshamtells me the BRS shade of red is ‘Ayres Red’.
Alex

If you look at the bottom of this article it tells you the cab, body and wheels were brown.

alexsaville:
The BRS Argyll group ran cattle bodies on flat trailers in the same shade as the rest of the fleet. My good friend Robin Masters of Eveshamtells me the BRS shade of red is ‘Ayres Red’.
Alex

Hiya Alex Bewick red was Signal Red which I inherited from the chap I bought my first “A” licences from , Coward Bros. Sedbergh , (Tommy Coward ) he was a great bloke and he gave me a lot of advice as a 21 year old starting out where he was leaving off . Cheers Bewick.

Woolfie mate I saw this today and thought of you,I realy must get out more and stop spending so much time on here.

So what you may say,just regular Kiwi stock trucks,but…on the side of the middle Argasy cab was this.

Do you have a cousin down under mate?

fodenway:
As far as I know, and according to specifications in an ancient guide book, the cab colour was dark blue as per Pickfords, with Ayres red (same as haulage and London Transport) for the wheels, with woodwork in varnished natural wood with black or brown painted ironwork. If it’s for modelling, I always use" Railmatch" Great Eastern Railway locomotive blue for Pickfords.

OOPS! I must have oldtimer’s disease - it was the Meat Division wagons that had the dark blue cabs, not Livestock. This division can’t have lasted very long, I think I’ve only ever seen photos of two or three, including a Bedford S and a Vulcan. Perhaps it disappeared in the partial de-nationalisation in 1953.

Correct.The meat division did have dark blue cabs and the body was a very light cream/yellow.A lot of them were BMC 5.1 diesels and some were a BMC chassis with a home made cab fitted.A lot of them came to us at The Union Cartage Coy. at Poplar.I have to say also that I have driven better.Luckily they didn’t last long and they were scrapped.BRS Parcels had a fleet of the home made type painted green with red wheels.Regards to all,900X20.

LOL nice find Jamie.

Info on the TMW forum indicates that they were an orangy brown similar to Maidstone trams or summat?

The colours of the Meat Haulage side of the BRS. The painting was of Smithfield Market,just past the clock. Regards, 900X20.

Wolfie is the thing you were looking for it is out of the BRS magazine for retired employees sorry it took so long but I could not remember who wanted it
cheers Johnnie