Bridge Bashing

Tonight in my local town a Southern Irish fridge trailer is stuck under a 13’ bridge. The same thing happens regularly on the A75 at Dunragit.

Is this due to - carelessness , ignorance of vehicle heights , relying on sat nav or the fact that the driver thinks there must be a few inches for error.

there can NEVER be an excuse for bridge bashing,unless both the route and bridge is not signed up accordingly to warn/advise drivers on approach…

McPlod:
Tonight in my local town a Southern Irish fridge trailer is stuck under a 13’ bridge. The same thing happens regularly on the A75 at Dunragit.

Is this due to - carelessness , ignorance of vehicle heights , relying on sat nav or the fact that the driver thinks there must be a few inches for error.

i often wonder if bridge signs are 100% dead on or is there is there extra allowed for snow/ice raising you up?

don’t quote me on this mate,but i’ve always found a positive margin on most bridges,i.e. i’m 13’2 in the actros and been under a 13’2 with a few inches to spare (empty) ans also 13’6 in magnum likewise scenario,it’s not good practise or professional to do this,but i only take advice from colleagues (we all run simular outfits/trailers/cranes etc)

In the UK all bridges have to marked in feet & ins up to 16’6’‘; bridges with no height marking are taken to be above 16’6’’

No excuse for “bridge bashing” imo, seems that all to many drivers rely on sat nav and its seems that good ole common sense is severley lacking nowadays.

I thought I was gonna hit one in Wakefield near the town following signs for M1 and I thought my trailer was 13.6 and bridge is similar and as I approached off roundabout a bin lorry with three lads in were coming round the inside of me and the driver slammed his brakes on to stop so they could watch as they bviously didnt think I would fit :smiley: I could see as I went through(bracing oneself for the bump) it was very very tight and they look almost gutted that I made it through without hitting it :grimacing: That was working out I was supposed to be dead on with my height and it looks like I was just about there, I would never ever try to go for anything bigger then 13.6 after that one now :laughing:

OllieNotts:
I thought I was gonna hit one in Wakefield near the town following signs for M1 and I thought my trailer was 13.6 and bridge is similar and as I approached off roundabout a bin lorry with three lads in were coming round the inside of me and the driver slammed his brakes on to stop so they could watch as they bviously didnt think I would fit :smiley: I could see as I went through(bracing oneself for the bump) it was very very tight and they look almost gutted that I made it through without hitting it :grimacing: That was working out I was supposed to be dead on with my height and it looks like I was just about there, I would never ever try to go for anything bigger then 13.6 after that one now :laughing:

Ever thought of dropping the suspension a tadge ? - just in case.

Suedehead:

OllieNotts:

Ever thought of dropping the suspension a tadge ? - just in case.

to do that if i dropped the axle on the unit it wouldnt drop the trailer so I would of had to goet out and drop the rear to and as it was there isnt many signs till you’re on it. As it were I decided that being my height matched it I would go for it and hope for the best :grimacing: never again though, it is part of the main road system god knows how a double decker would get onto M1 must be a right pain just glad I know I fit lol.

was in swizterland years ago… over hang said 3.99 m

yep it was exactley 3.99 as my 4m tilt ripped it off :frowning: oooppps

I discovered this week that a 13’ 4’’ trailer will not fit under an 11’ railway bridge. However mr Numpty bargain booze driver, what made you think you could overtake me and get under the same bridge with the same size truck :laughing:

And for all the car drivers who were slightly inconvenienced, you can blow your horns and wave your fists as much as you like, my truck is still 13’4’’ and it ain’t going under the bridge :stuck_out_tongue:

transporter man:
In the UK all bridges have to marked in feet & ins up to 16’6’‘; bridges with no height marking are taken to be above 16’6’’

According to my “low bridges” map book it’s any bridge 16 foot and lower that has to be marked up with a sign.

Suedehead:
No excuse for “bridge bashing” imo, seems that all to many drivers rely on sat nav and its seems that good ole common sense is severley lacking nowadays.

Abbey Street

Quite possibly, but in my case the SATNAV was trying to send me down a residential street. I ignored it and went around to the other end which was in an industrial area and became a roadblock :stuck_out_tongue:

This time the SATNAV won and it wouldn’t let me forget that all the way home :smiley:

V8Actros:
don’t quote me on this mate,but i’ve always found a positive margin on most bridges,i.e. i’m 13’2 in the actros and been under a 13’2

If you knew for sure your vehicle was 13’ 2", and you were not just going by what was written on the headboard, then obviously you would pass under a bridge displaying a 13’ 2" sign with room to spare. The sign shows the maximum height allowed to proceed, circular sign, or warns as to the maximum height a vehicle should be to proceed, triangular sign. It doesn’t show the actual height of the bridge.

Ayup,most of us are born with 2 eyes in our heads,whats wrong with looking out the window and driving slowly under(if theres room obviously).Ive never used satnav,but dont see how people just drive at these low briges without being sure,if you drive up to it slowly and G.O.A.L. Doesnt matter to me if I hold people up a bit,if I hit the bridge they will also be held up.Ive been under plenty of close bridges,but then again I look where Im going. :wink: Joe. p.s. Glad Im retired as the roads seem to be full of ***** (insert your own word here)

If I’m going somewhere new I always check the bridge height atlas and compare it with the sat nav route before setting off as once before I ended up having to do a multi point turn to turn around and find away that didnt have a low bridge

however

Theres a bridge nr to smethwick that goes in the Network Rail yard at Soho thats signed up at 10’ yet when I worked there for a while on the agency the hirght marker in their hiab wagon said 14’.52 and that still had another foot or so of clearance above the top of the crane so some of the marker boards are incorrect on some bridges

I slid under a 15’ bridge the other day…

With a 15’ 4 trailer on and the suspension dumped, still had 2" to spare. Yes is was my fault, I took a wrong turn and used this road that I had used many times before with lower trailers and had forgotton the height of this bridge…