Bridge bashing again

seen a wilko’s wagon hit the bridge in worksop on the a619 heading to j30 m1 at around 14:30 today,
took the roof right off his new dd trailer did anyone else see the mess he made.

Oh dear again!
Thought they had finally got the message through to their agency drivers and regulars. Still it must be a year since they last hit it!

Is that the one with all the chains dangling over the the road before you get to the bridge?

It might have been Darkseeker :stuck_out_tongue: he’s agency in there :slight_smile: :smiling_imp:

agency drivers have not and will not allowed on DD trailers and runs. Put 2 and 2 together… it was one of our lads

Oh, spotted this one from near swindon:
swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news … er_bridge/

so 2 so far this week - that one above got away with £80 fixed fine.

I thought points was issued as well?

mike68:
Is that the one with all the chains dangling over the the road before you get to the bridge?

thats the one :unamused: :unamused:

Theres a DHL Bawtry trailer sporting a re-designed roof this week too. After the driver took a diversion around wakefield the other day

leo.saphira:
agency drivers have not and will not allowed on DD trailers and runs.

Don’t believe that… when desperate for a driver any company will send one out with anything they have just to get it out the gate.

Do we really need trailers to be this bloody high?.

I’m sure we could get away with 13.6 in reality. Most of the time you lug around a trailer loaded halfway up and a look in the bridge height map, shows most bridge heights to be 14 and a bit. DD trailers were designed for trunking along the motorway network, and not for ducking under dodgy bridges in dodgy places. Its’ so easy to forget how high you are as the wilko driver will tell you, and his yard is just down the bloody road!!!.

Lycanthrope:

leo.saphira:
agency drivers have not and will not allowed on DD trailers and runs.

Don’t believe that… when desperate for a driver any company will send one out with anything they have just to get it out the gate.

Wilkco policy iirc. Been there for 4 years now… ain’t see a agency bob pull any DD trailers, I asked the very question and I got what I written above. Plenty of other drivers in the yard coming and going so they will move people around so that cores are on DD trailers.

alun:

mike68:

thats the one :unamused: :unamused:

Aye, but do you hear the chains clangging on the trailer when you got a sloping roof? - aright when its a flat face and the chains will make alot of noise. But the slope - dunno, don’t want to try it either.

Maybe Worksop council will install height sensors with a flashing matrix on this bridge now like they have on the retford to Gainsborough road or Bingham Bridge?

[/quote]
Maybe Worksop council will install height sensors with a flashing matrix on this bridge now like they have on the retford to Gainsborough road or Bingham Bridge?
[/quote]
It’s a pointless exercise if the sensors are inaccurate because drivers will ignore them. Both the Bingham and the A5 Hinckley one show me as over height. One is a 15’ 3" and the other is 15’, but I get a divert when pulling a 14’ 8" trailer. This defeats the object of them.

waddy640:

It’s a pointless exercise if the sensors are inaccurate because drivers will ignore them. Both the Bingham and the A5 Hinckley one show me as over height. One is a 15’ 3" and the other is 15’, but I get a divert when pulling a 14’ 8" trailer. This defeats the object of them.

I couldn’t agree more - I regularly go under a 12’9" bridge with a 12’9" truck (I measured it) and the lights flash every time. It’s amusing to watch the car behind as you ignore it though.

Any pics of this bridge bashing :grimacing:

I get flashed at every night with a 14ft trailer at Bingham, its very inaccurate.

leo.saphira:
Aye, but do you hear the chains clangging on the trailer when you got a sloping roof? - aright when its a flat face and the chains will make alot of noise. But the slope - dunno, don’t want to try it either.

Seems some drivers think if the front of the slope will fit, the rest will follow… or not:

skoowif:
Do we really need trailers to be this bloody high?.

I’m sure we could get away with 13.6 in reality. Most of the time you lug around a trailer loaded halfway up and a look in the bridge height map, shows most bridge heights to be 14 and a bit. DD trailers were designed for trunking along the motorway network, and not for ducking under dodgy bridges in dodgy places. Its’ so easy to forget how high you are as the wilko driver will tell you, and his yard is just down the bloody road!!!.

I can only speak as a night trunker of some 6 years on double deckers. When there is a road closure on our usual route we get diverted wherever the local plod decide to send us if there are any diversions or suggestions at all. If we ask the police/council workmen if there are any bridges or other height/weight restrictions we are usually told “we’ve sent loads bigger than you down there and they haven’t come back” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I doubt most were as tall as us. Maybe they can’t get back either!

However, this does not excuse anyone who hits a bridge that is correctly marked. That said, if anyone would like to confess to never making a mistake please sign below :unamused:

aye, we pull 16"4" DDs and its a pain when you get diverted as they are on a dedicated job. you just have to remember whats behind you. Also we have 15 ^6 bridge next to us and we are always knockin the lights off with 15" 5"— 15" 6" trailers, so its obvious they are set wrong. there is also a steep camber in the road so you will knock them off with some trailers going out, and not coming back. (Harrietsham)

There is a 16’ bridge in south london which I took a 15’ 10" trailer under. I always slow down when I have not much spare room, just in case I hit a pothole or something and “bounce”, so i was going about 20MPH> I heard a loud bang as I was going under and stopped to check what it was. Some “plank” from the local council had put the warning sign on the bridge so that the bottom of it was about 3" BELOW the bridge! :laughing: and just to show how stupid some people can be, on the other side there was a cctv camera hanging below the bridge! I say was, because the front of my trailer “amended” it :laughing: What did I do?, well, no damage to the actual bridge, no damage to my trailor, and now no cctv camera to see who hit it! :laughing: what would you do? :wink:

I often wonder how much of the money ‘saved’ by using these trailers is spent on repairs, damage, etc?!