another bridge strike

runcornandwidnesworld.co.uk/ … ge/?ref=mr

seems to be happening regularly for mr stobarts, but in his defense it must have been cramped in the cab, as check out the third paragraph
"“How can a 16ft truck driver not realise the size of his load?”
if he was that big there was no way I was going to take the ■■■■ out of him. :open_mouth:

I blame tesco, why not put overall height instead of box height like most hauliers & why dafouq do they use dds in the 1st place…■■? 4m tops, ffs…:imp::twisted:

A Stobart spokesman said: The driver was fully qualified, and a full time Eddie Stobart driver, who, like many, has come through the apprentice scheme.

“There were not 13 warning signs, there was a sign post and a sign on the bridge. The driver had set the height indicator in his cab correctly.”

So, that’s OK then :unamused:

If I’m reading it right then there saying 16 ft trailer hit a 15ft bridge ,if so then that isn’t the truck trailer that hit it,there’s no way that tris 16 ft,13 ft 8 I’d of said( same as our old fridges but with tail lift .
Whatever that tris not 16 ft

dozy:
If I’m reading it right then there saying 16 ft trailer hit a 15ft bridge ,if so then that isn’t the truck trailer that hit it,there’s no way that tris 16 ft,13 ft 8 I’d of said( same as our old fridges but with tail lift .
Whatever that tris not 16 ft

If you read the article properly you will see it is a double decker that hit the bridge.
The first picture in the gallery of the article is a library picture showing a standard trailer approaching the bridge.

widnes-001.jpg
Heres the actuel trailer that hit it. :blush:

Sure does live up to its logo then…You shop, we drop our trailer bits…ha ha

As Pimpaddy alluded to, why are people using dds to deliver into towns? Theyre not designed for that. Trunking only. Pure greed.
I worked for a kitchen company who would give us 4-5 drops a day with a double decker, say, Derby, Nottingham, Coventry, Birmingham etc. A fliipin nightmare. I never batted one, but was quietly delighted when the depot trainer clattered a bridge in Hull with one.
I have every sympathy with the driver. The blame of course lies with him, you just can`t get out of it, but he was probably not familiar with the area, had a delivery time to meet, was getting earache from the office, cut up by cars, and maybe totally lost. In fact fair play to Stobart for trying to at least publicly backing him. Mistakes do happen.

Also as Pimpdaddy mentions…heights on trailers. What use is the box height? we only need to know the overall height.
OK, I know they vary a bit but it doesnt have to be down to a millimetre.... theres another thing, some trailers are marked up in imperial, some in metric. Some bridges are imperial, some are metric. Its almost as if they WANT us to hit the ■■■■ things.

The main damning aspect of this case though is he doesnt look as though he even considered the possibility of hitting it, he took the whole roof off. So maybe here all the signs in the world werent going to save this…see above possible hassles and grief a driver can get.

Hiys just looks like the snow,s been scraped of the roof…
John

There’s nothing wrong with running DD’s anywhere (unless a delivery point is surrounded by low bridges/trees), car transporter drivers manage to get round at that height without too much bother, and without tree damage.

Its not company greed (other than using incompetent drivers) its driver negligence…maybe Tesco should go back to offering proper jobs with good T&C’s and cherry pick.

Juddian:
There’s nothing wrong with running DD’s anywhere

Yes there is, otherwise this thread wouldn’t exist…:exclamation:

Juddian:
maybe Tesco should go back to offering proper jobs with good T&C’s and cherry pick.

Cant see what difference that’d make, Tossco drivers hit bridges too…

Pimpdaddy:
I blame tesco, why not put overall height instead of box height like most hauliers & why dafouq do they use dds in the 1st place…■■? 4m tops, ffs…:imp::twisted:

Asda have been using DD’s for their superstore deliveries for ages now, you don’t read about it causing too many problems. Same with B&Q and a few others. It just makes good business sense to get more on one load if you have good enough access at the stores, surely?

rob22888:
It just makes good business sense to get more on one load if you have good enough access at the stores, surely?

Maybe so but how about me the driver who’s job depends on load movements & my licence, livelihood, public safety being put at risk in the event of a bridge strike…?

cheekymonkey:
As Pimpaddy alluded to, why are people using dds to deliver into towns? Theyre not designed for that. Trunking only. Pure greed.

It was in Widnes, chances are it was returning to the depot, which is in Widnes, so could’ve been on a trunk run, could’ve been a 1 hitter, not many DD’s deliver to stores due to not many stores having a way of getting the stuff down - ok, some tail lifts go up there, but it’d take AGES to do a load of cages like that.

I think it’d been to 1 of the other depots or RDC’s, possibly Crick.

There’s been working going on around Widnes and Runcorn, including the bridge being shut on occasion, maybe there was a diversion on and he’s followed that :question: I’ve no idea, but the normal route to Stobart Multi Modal is well signposted.

Pimpdaddy:

rob22888:
It just makes good business sense to get more on one load if you have good enough access at the stores, surely?

Maybe so but how about me the driver who’s job depends on load movements & my licence, livelihood, public safety being put at risk in the event of a bridge strike…?

I would have thought it was fairly simple.

1. Know the height of the trailer you are pulling. It’s written on the front as an aid.
  2. Learn to read traffic signs.
  3. Don’t believe the height indicator in the cab.
  4. In the event of coming across a bridge on an unfamiliar route don’t think " it looks like it might fit"
  5. Ask about the route before you leave site.

Double deckers are everywhere and an awful lot of companies use them, it’s unfair to point the finger at Tesco for running them. They mostly get used for the large stores anyway which more often than not have good road access. It’s unheard of for them to be used for the small city centre stores.

They are getting used more and more though, the depot has had more ‘decker’ bays installed and there’s loads of stores which have had a decker bay installed too. Infact they were running short of 6x2 units to pull them at one point (usually overweight for a 4x2).

The main route out of the depot (for deckers) has been closed for a couple of months while the council sit about doing naff all in their porta cabin surrounded by roadworks (no idea what they’re doing), so unless a decker is going to the M56 they have to divert over Runcorn bridge and beyond only to come back on themselves back over the bridge to avoid the low bridge which has been hit.

At the end of the day it’s driver error but fair play to Stobarts who have handled it brilliantly and supported the driver.

Oh and the amount of assumptions in this thread is shocking :open_mouth:

Pimpdaddy:

Only a handful of Tesco trailers at Widnes, all the rest are Stobart and have the overall height on the trailer.

Edit, the pictured trailer has the overall height marked on it (90% sure).

Another edit, ignore me, I’m getting them confused with the similar Stobart ones :blush:

Juddian:
There’s nothing wrong with running DD’s anywhere (unless a delivery point is surrounded by low bridges/trees), car transporter drivers manage to get round at that height without too much bother, and without tree damage.

Its not company greed (other than using incompetent drivers) its driver negligence…maybe Tesco should go back to offering proper jobs with good T&C’s and cherry pick.

Rubbish,a car transporter driver hit the arched bridge on harlaxton rd in Grantham ( it was headline news in the Grantham journal) about two years ago,if I remember right 2 cars came off as he didn’t go though the centre ,hit the side of the arched bridge as he came from wharf road onto,harlaxton road.
There was also a thread on here recently ,few months ago showing a car transporter that had hit a bridge

Pimpdaddy:

Juddian:
There’s nothing wrong with running DD’s anywhere

Yes there is, otherwise this thread wouldn’t exist…:exclamation:

• 1, I’ve just had the pleasure of tipping 75 cages apx and then reloading them,the back door bloke had too sit down as he said he was having heart palpitations ( he’d just tipped a goole one before mine),
    Middle summer up on top,deck it’s bloody hot ,your sticking your head down side of doors too try and get some air whilst back door bloke takes stuff down on scissor lift.alot go down on scissor lift to get some air.
    Really confined place up on top deck.
    Then you get like last night frozen on top deck,floors like a block of ice,straps are frozen solid.
    Bet the zb stitch me up with another one tomorrow :smiling_imp:
    Ban them :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley: