Bits hanging off underneath Scania

Had a phone call a short while ago from the factories maintanence engineer who is a sound bloke, always looks over the trucks as he walks past to get to the stores. Paid off today, rang me up saying there was something hanging off underneath the tractor unit, which i know definatly wasn’t yesterday when i was using it.

Get underneath and there a peice of plastic trim that goes under the gearbox, with two rubber fastners either end, and three twistable plastic retainers. The one rubber fastner had been taken off, and the other clips deisnged to hold in place were twisted out the way as well. NO signs of being dragged across the floor if it has been hanging off previously.

Thing is, there is a rectangular plate held with two bolts, one was missing and the thin metal plate hanging off. There is nothing electrical there, no wires, sensors… Just some numbers and a mark thing on some polished metal ( i assume marks for alignment?) and a small hole near to it that should have a rubber bing on it, missing too.

I know it should be there as i checked on my dads Scania. Has anyone had anything similar happen and why just that bit? I checked over the whole rig, twice out of paranoya just to make sure nothing else had been tampered with and it wasn’t. Spoke to securtity who are going to look through CCTV, but they are as usless as a chocolate fireguard :unamused:

It’s an 11 reg Scania R480 if that should be important? I dunno, exhaust, fuel lines everything all no problems. Seems a lot of effort to get under the unit to do this, so baffled as to what is of interest there?

Any help appreciated, but not pinning my hopes up, as well, it is rather strange :open_mouth:

Wasn’t anywhere near the exhaust system was it?

Had a lot of yards round here had vehicles severely damaged for people trying to steal the catalytic converters.

Had 4 Sprinter vans done in one night about a fortnight back. Just went through with an angle grinder. I was walking into the yard about 06:30 and saw all 4 in a row with their exhausts on the floor and a very ■■■■■■ off TM screaming down the phone to the local garage.

Stu190:
so baffled as to what is of interest there?..

Magnet fell off■■? :wink:

Scarab:
Wasn’t anywhere near the exhaust system was it?

Had a lot of yards round here had vehicles severely damaged for people trying to steal the catalytic converters.

Had 4 Sprinter vans done in one night about a fortnight back. Just went through with an angle grinder. I was walking into the yard about 06:30 and saw all 4 in a row with their exhausts on the floor and a very ■■■■■■ off TM screaming down the phone to the local garage.

they go for £250 a piece hence why they nick them