Biggest challenges as a trucker

Can I ask… to anyone really… What exactly is stressful about this job?

Honest question.

toonsy:

Honest question.

Ever been 200 miles from home with 10 deliveries in that city centre at 7am and no one is in the pub/restaurant when you were told they would be on site specifically? Or when you have 1.5 hours wait at a delivery for someone to turn up then go back into Edinburgh centre to Rose Street to do their other site after 10:30 and you’re not meant to be parked there as its pedestrianised and they’re still not on site at that location.

People giving you that look or shouting at you, other vehicles struggling to get past, the fear of the council ticket womble sticking a PCN on your windscreen the second you get out to check if someones turned up on site, you’ve been up since 3am are tired and fed up…

And then you have the supervisors picking up any little mistake with paperwork or the PDA not being completed properly.

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti
He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready

Ghiabox:

toonsy:

Honest question.

Ever been 200 miles from home with 10 deliveries in that city centre at 7am and no one is in the pub/restaurant when you were told they would be on site specifically? Or when you have 1.5 hours wait at a delivery for someone to turn up then go back into Edinburgh centre to Rose Street to do their other site after 10:30 and you’re not meant to be parked there as its pedestrianised and they’re still not on site at that location.

People giving you that look or shouting at you, other vehicles struggling to get past, the fear of the council ticket womble sticking a PCN on your windscreen the second you get out to check if someones turned up on site, you’ve been up since 3am are tired and fed up…

And then you have the supervisors picking up any little mistake with paperwork or the PDA not being completed properly.

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There’s vomit on his sweater already, mom’s spaghetti
He’s nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready

I’ve had similar. I think most of us have. But the secret is not to let it get to you. In such instances where I’m risking a ticket I’ll phone in, tell them that if I get one doing their job then they’ll be paying it. Problem solved.

Other road users… you can’t change them so why let them bother you? Just treat everyone as an idiot and let them get on with it. Problem solved.

I

I have 2 duno which is worst

1 trying navigate around London delivering to building sites.

2 navigating to building sites new builds not yet on Google maps. Usually in middle of noware down some narrow lanes

People not listening to what you tell them or reading whats on the delivery instructions , then find out the site contact is on holiday and some illiterate spotty child in the office has miss read the email full of instructions .
■■■■■ that send the measurements of items before they are packed then protest when they won’t fit on the vehicle , this usually happens when trying to load at 3am when the ■■■■ that measured it is home in bed and doesn’t answer the phone .
The best of these was the muppet that measured the equipment box but not the trolley base that it was fitted to .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think i must have it pretty easy , Up the A1 to get to Aberdeen or over the 66 and up the 74 is usually my biggest decision, i get all the other stresses but i dont let them wind me up anymore

Driving shi**y MAN is the biggest challenge

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There is absolutely nothing stressful about driving wagons. Plenty of stuff that ■■■■■■ you off, but anybody who thinks this lark is stressful can’t have done much else. You do your jobs, go home/park up and forget about it. It’s a doddle.

chester:
Attack the post not the poster.
No need for personal attacks.
I refer you to the stickie topic”Its Time”

You highlighted the word “you” in your quote then went on to imply you struggled to urinate without parental guidance, disregard of rubbish in a bin rather than the grass and find a belt to fit a 58" waist.
I was merely enquiring if you were being honest about being an overweight slob or if you were trying to insult other drivers and hadn’t thought it through properly, resulting in not insulting an entire collective as you had intended but instead managed to turn it on himself.
If its the latter then I doff my cap to you because even by your standards, that takes some doing
You crack on and call it a personal attack if you want to deflect. Technically, it was an enquiry, not an attack but lets not split hairs.
Me, ill take deflection as the works of a man whos just realised he’s cocked up his trolling attempt and isn’t quite the ■■■■■■■■ troll he thought he was.
I thought more of you than to cry about “personal attacks” based on your posting history but lifes full of disappointments I suppose

If I remember correctly then the 3 biggest challenges faced today would be;

1. Learning how to deal with the occasional idiot customer who treats you as something they stepped in.
  2. Learning how to relax while all the other road using idiots attempt to screw you over and kill themselves under your wheels.
  3. This is the most vital to master. Learning how to spot at a good distance the truck driver who is about to come over and introduce himself and go on to give you his life’s story with full details of his exploits in the SAS, through his Middle East days (even if he’s only 22) and right up to the current day and how much he earns now and how little he does for it and how much better off he is than you.

Other than that, the jobs as easy or challenging as you want to make it.

The-Snowman:
1 - Which sat nav to buy
2 - Trying to find out what Stobarts are like to work for
3 - Worrying myself to an ulcer about what dvsa will do to me if I go 2 minutes over my drive time

LOL, don’t waste your money on a sat nav FFS. You have a smart phone with the thing included. :laughing:
To me the biggest worry is that if you are away from your wife a lot, when you will find out she has left you ?

Pat Hasler:
To me the biggest worry is that if you are away from your wife a lot, when you will find out she has left you ?

Or another Driver has been round to your house & eaten all your favourite biscuits

peirre:

Pat Hasler:

Or another Driver has been round to your house & eaten all your favourite biscuits

Or eaten your soon-to-be-ex-wifes lady garden.

The-Snowman:

chester:
Attack the post not the poster.
No need for personal attacks.
I refer you to the stickie topic”Its Time”

You highlighted the word “you” in your quote then went on to imply you struggled to urinate without parental guidance, disregard of rubbish in a bin rather than the grass and find a belt to fit a 58" waist.
I was merely enquiring if you were being honest about being an overweight slob or if you were trying to insult other drivers and hadn’t thought it through properly, resulting in not insulting an entire collective as you had intended but instead managed to turn it on himself.
If its the latter then I doff my cap to you because even by your standards, that takes some doing
You crack on and call it a personal attack if you want to deflect. Technically, it was an enquiry, not an attack but lets not split hairs.
Me, ill take deflection as the works of a man whos just realised he’s cocked up his trolling attempt and isn’t quite the ■■■■■■■■ troll he thought he was.
I thought more of you than to cry about “personal attacks” based on your posting history but lifes full of disappointments I suppose

Follow the rules of the forum, and these ■■■ for tat posts don’t arise.
Of course you can move from name calling when losing a argument and maybe pull me up on my spelling!
That’s what a lot of forum users here try to do.
“If we were all academics then maybe we wouldn’t have to drive trucks”
Just a humble thought.

The-Snowman:

Nope!
I never highlighted or neither implied.
“This is a tactic used by (Carryfast) when he/she started to lose a a debate. They then went onto grammar to try to win, is poster sill on here?”
However if we’re going to use your same logic as yourself to lose yet another argument, then I refer you to post no7 which you made on this very thread on page 1

The-Snowman:
1 - Which sat nav to buy
3 - Worrying myself to an ulcer about what dvsa will do to me if I go 2 minutes over my drive time

Are you highlighting and implying this list in the same context?

So to summarise.
You actual engage and pull my post to pieces as to the way I interpret.
“Biggest challenges as a trucker”
In the same way you also interpret the question post no7 on page 1.

You actually do worry about a lot, don’t you. Jees!

dublicate post

rob22888:
There is absolutely nothing stressful about driving wagons. Plenty of stuff that ■■■■■■ you off, but anybody who thinks this lark is stressful can’t have done much else. You do your jobs, go home/park up and forget about it. It’s a doddle.

This

Trying to beat the other 5 Euro trampers into the yard Friday afternoon :smiley:

chester:

The-Snowman:

Nope!
I never highlighted or neither implied.
“This is a tactic used by (Carryfast) when he/she started to lose a a debate. They then went onto grammar to try to win, is poster sill on here?”
However if we’re going to use your same logic as yourself to lose yet another argument, then I refer you to post no7 which you made on this very thread on page 1

The-Snowman:
1 - Which sat nav to buy

Are you highlighting and implying this list in the same context?

So to summarise.
You actual engage and pull my post to pieces as to the way I interpret.
“Biggest challenges as a trucker”
In the same way you also interpret the question post no7 on page 1.

You actually do worry about a lot, don’t you. Jees!

Being a troll you obviously dont understand the difference between a joke about common threads on a particular forum and just trying to be as nasty as possible about stuff that’s never been mentioned before. I’m certainly not explaining it to you.
Its not your fault, I blame the parents to be honest. Maybe you inherited their lack of personality, their low IQ, maybe its because they’re related by blood, maybe they neglected you because they preferred the pet hamster. Who knows, or even cares?

Besides, its boring when you leave it a week between replies. Wheres the fun in that? I preferred it when you posted under your boredwivdrivin persona. At least the replies were quicker, albeit the same recycled mince

Im the only one keeping you engaged so its probably my fault you still come on here to be honest. Ill own that and my apologies to everyone else on the site. That’s my bad and won’t happen again

The biggest challenge for me is driving a vehicle so large. Don’t let anybody tell you “it’s like driving a car”… it isn’t! I’ve been driving artics for 14 years and still stuggle to get round roundabouts, and reverse onto bays, mainly because of trailer cut in, and about twice a week I still clip kerbs and cones because I’ve misjudged the width.