new driver

Hi all, im stuck in a s#!t job at the moment. I never know where i am, what time il be back home and if i have work the next day.
I have my hgv theory book but just wondered what a typical day involves for you guys ie start/finish times, nights tramping, stress levels etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Some truck driving is nice regular hours - but that is the minority. Most of it is erratic hours, poor conditions, average pay and generally being treated like a sub-human. The job varies enormously.

It is also one of the most satisfying and rewarding occupations I can think of. There’s much more to it than just driving the truck and that’s what makes it so.

But if you’re looking for 9 --5 Monday to Friday for a huge salary you may be looking at the wrong career.

Best advice is to get your provisional (only cost you a medical) and book some assessment drives - often free. This will give you a little more insight, though not about the actual job.

Hope you were ready for an honest reply!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Being a truck driver for many years served me well before I came into the training industry.

I had many driving jobs which included driving skip wagons, hiabs, gritters, curtainsiders artics to name a few.

Yes it’s true what Peter says but dosent every job have its ups and downs?

My advice have ago because you will never no until you tried it.

Paul :smiley:

Many thanks for your replies honesty is always the best option.
Im not looking for a 9-5. Just something that is less stressful and pays ok. Dont mind the odd night out or long hours. All i get at the moment is a text with an address, it could be 1 hours work or a 15 shift without stopping. Medical is all done so guna try class2 for a bit i think and see how it goes. Im a total novice so lots to learn.

It’s like any industry. Some jobs will suit you down to the ground, others will have tearing your own eyeballs out through your ■■■■. But if you get a job that suits you, you’ll get as much satisfaction and self worth out of the job as you put into it.

Best of luck!

Find yourself a trainer you’re happy with and they will guide you through the whole process. Make sure you visit before you part with any money and avoid brokers like the plague. (Their sites always mention huge numbers of training sites all over the UK and promises of work).

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing: