Is this for me?!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peacejudah:
I really don’t know whether to stick it and carry on, or surrender and accept that this whole lorry driving thing isn’t for me. Is it like this for all new drivers?!
Sorry for the negative post I just need help from others.

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal! :smiley:
How long have you been driving mate? As if it’s less then 3-4 months you haven’t even properly tried it yet…

It probably takes most of us a minimum of a month (probably 2, maybe 3 or 4) before we start to get comfortable with driving a truck, and for some it might take a lot longer. But that doesn’t mean they are bad drivers, they may just be brighter than the rest of us and more self aware! :wink: We also probably also all had a few dings when we first started, some of us managed that during our lessons! :blush:

So on the premise you’ve not been doing the more than a few weeks or months, I’d suggest you hang in there for a while and give it a decent chance. Also, it’s not like you’re doing the easiest work, so a change of job in a little while could also help. But you need to remember and tell yourself that you’re learning a new job and all the stuff that goes with that, AND learning to drive a truck…

Best of luck pal and if you want to whine a bit more carry on. :wink:

Evil8beezle is correct, I do multidrop food service on a part time basis and felt exactly the same. I would constantly look at the planner and panic more and more as I slipped behind throughout the course of the day.

Then I saw drivers bring pallets of stock back on a regular basis and saw the high turnover of staff. I eventually realised that me being back late and costing them an extra £11 an hour is much better than a failed delivery and the penalties they would have to pay.

Them being nice about me returning late is because they are grateful the work is done. Most transport managers understand the daily crap we have to deal with.

Over a year into the job I am now in a place of zen and relaxed about what I can achieve. I’m experienced and now confident that if I am unable to make a delivery 90% of other drivers would be in the same position.

So, stop thinking they are bring nice when you return late. They are in fact bring grateful that you’ve achieved more than most

Find your state of zen. Driving a lorry for £10/11/12 an hour should not be stressful

Evil8Beezle:

peacejudah:
I really don’t know whether to stick it and carry on, or surrender and accept that this whole lorry driving thing isn’t for me. Is it like this for all new drivers?!
Sorry for the negative post I just need help from others.

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal! :smiley:
How long have you been driving mate? As if it’s less then 3-4 months you haven’t even properly tried it yet…

It probably takes most of us a minimum of a month (probably 2, maybe 3 or 4) before we start to get comfortable with driving a truck, and for some it might take a lot longer. But that doesn’t mean they are bad drivers, they may just be brighter than the rest of us and more self aware! :wink: We also probably also all had a few dings when we first started, some of us managed that during our lessons! :blush:

So on the premise you’ve not been doing the more than a few weeks or months, I’d suggest you hang in there for a while and give it a decent chance. Also, it’s not like you’re doing the easiest work, so a change of job in a little while could also help. But you need to remember and tell yourself that you’re learning a new job and all the stuff that goes with that, AND learning to drive a truck…

Best of luck pal and if you want to whine a bit more carry on. :wink:

So how long have you been doing it?

what have you hit so far OP? you’re only just starting out…bound to have a few minor bumps as you find your feet :slight_smile:

Evil8Beezle:
So how long have you been doing it?

peacejudah:

carryfast-yeti:
what have you hit so far OP? you’re only just starting out…bound to have a few minor bumps as you find your feet :slight_smile:

I’ve hit the side bars off from turning into a road in London with those bell bollards and hit one of them.
And I’ve hit one of our company’s lorries that was just sitting there in the yard.
Not a great start really!

You are probably stressing and rushing round. Just take your time less speed and plenty of mirrors especially in tight places.

Try and relax and don’t let anyone rush you.

All the best and give it time to decide

Paul :smiley: