What's the best/worst thing about being a driver?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in for number of responses but as a newbie (Class 2, for now) I just want to see what some of the posters would say are the best and/or worst things about working as a driver?
I’m really excited for the change having spent 18 years working in retail and restaurants but it’d be interesting to hear what others have to say about the work they do.

Thanks in advance

If you’re an agency driver, there are a number of downsides.

Shifts cancelled at the last moment, sometimes when you’re driving to work.

Being given 15 hour shifts even though you asked for just 8 hours.

Being given the worst jobs because you are agency and not one of the client’s own drivers.

Being given a lorry that has dirty windows and mirrors, and has the regular driver’s junk filling all the storage spaces in the cab.

Having an hourly pay cut in January because you are just agency and we have too many drivers.

Being given just one shift a month when it gets quiet because you are agency.

No sick pay because you are agency.

Just read the “other” part of this forum! There are also plenty of videos with a negative outlook on YouTube if you really want to become depressed.

Ask yourself: why do YOU want to become a driver?

For me, it’s because I’m sick of my time being treated as utterly worthless while working on seriously complex projects that take literally years from start to finish, yet idiots that know nothing about which they speak think I can complete them in literally a few weeks. Add on top of that the fact I work 100+ hour weeks at times, and I’m just completely done with it. It’s not getting any better, and people want things now impossibly quickly. All I can say to those people: if you think it is so easy, why am I here? Well, I’m not there now!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Compared to where I’m coming from, trucking looks pretty good. It’s something I have considered for years, and now is that moment I’m actually going to do it. :sunglasses:

For me the positives are:
Being paid to drive round the country listening to the radio.
Driving the truck, ( yes wanted to do it as a kid and still get a knock out of it)
Most people you meet a friendly, not all, but most will chat a little, sometimes get a cuppa ( delivering to supermarkets, so not drop and rush off to next) .
No two days the same.
No phone calls and e mails building up to deal with in my own time when home.

Negatives,
Unloading in rain and bad weather.
Handling heavy cages.
Wiping your feet when you get out of some of the lorries!
Manouvering around towns and tight spaces, that’s when you earn the money, not trundling along the motorway.
Some car drivers!
Occasional miserable [zb]$ at depot or destination.
Congestion.
Being limited to 84kmh on some long journeys.

Just my take anyway. Good luck.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

TruckerGuy:
For me, it’s because I’m sick of my time being treated as utterly worthless while working on seriously complex projects that take literally years from start to finish, yet idiots that know nothing about which they speak think I can complete them in literally a few weeks. Add on top of that the fact I work 100+ hour weeks at times, and I’m just completely done with it. It’s not getting any better, and people want things now impossibly quickly. All I can say to those people: if you think it is so easy, why am I here? Well, I’m not there now!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Compared to where I’m coming from, trucking looks pretty good. It’s something I have considered for years, and now is that moment I’m actually going to do it. :sunglasses:

The exact reason I’m looking to get into it. Have worked in wholesaling for 20+ years (sales). Currently work 50hrs per week. No breaks. Have actually been called into the office previous for taking a 20-30min lunch break and subtly told to stay in by the gaffer as it “■■■■■■ everyone off”. So although work 50hrs only really get paid for 40. Every company in our industry the same.

We lost a driver through redundancy last year and I’m now also “relief driver” covering any holidays etc. It’s only a long wheelbase Sprinter but over the last few months I’ve realised that the driving is now the only part of my job that I enjoy.

I’m still expecting long hours but used to that by now. Even class 2 work would probably get close to my current salary & looking for C+E eventually.

Positives

Driving I like driving always have done.

Get to travel and see lots off different places some of it nice and scenic.

Lots of time to myself and not having someone else breathing down my neck as I work.

You are constantly on the move which is kind of fun.

If you come across people you dont like you are not around them for very long .

Pay can be good If your willing to sell your soul to the cab (or do specialized work but i wouldn’t know about that).

Negatives

Pay can be not good.

Can get lonely particularly if you do tramping work .

Can be very long hours (but to be fare most of that time you are sat on your arXe so its not hard work) depending on what sort of HGV driving you do.

Get no exercise (but depending on what type of trucking you do you might also get a lot of manual work)

Can get stressful dealing with traffic and hard to do delivery drops/collections.

If you are tramper or away from home a lot it can seriously damage any relationships you have with family.

All in all its not that bad in my opionion but could be a lot better.

Good things

When driving you are free to listen to music and relax and enjoy the view (I work in Dorset so no motorways)

As agency, taking days off when you want.

Bad things

For me the early starts are the worst thing 3am or 4am starts should be banned :frowning:, you have to get up at 2am or 3am to start work, which means to get 8 hours sleep you have to be in bed asleep at 6 or 7pm the evening before, totally ruins your social and family life and if you have any life outside of work very difficult to get into a sleep pattern that gives you at least 7 hours sleep every night.

A close second is 12-15 hour days starting at 4 and then doing a 15 hour day means you get home at 8 and if you do a reduced rest you literally have to go to bed immediately when you get home to get enough rest just to potentially do it all over again.

Working weekends, which as agency I do a lot of.

No guaranteed income as agency.

dudevoid:
Good things
A close second is 12-15 hour days starting at 4 and then doing a 15 hour day means you get home at 8 and if you do a reduced rest you literally have to go to bed immediately when you get home to get enough rest just to potentially do it all over again.

How much rest do you get in your 15 hr work day? driving is obviously only 9 or very occasionally 10 hrs so is the rest other work, or waiting around doing nothing? do you have a sleeper cab? is the cab horrible?

stu675:

dudevoid:
Good things

How much rest do you get in your 15 hr work day? driving is obviously only 9 or very occasionally 10 hrs so is the rest other work, or waiting around doing nothing? do you have a sleeper cab? is the cab horrible?

A lot of other work basically, a lot of loading and unloading, this is all 7.5 ton work.

Dudeviod
i should not be posting on this site as i am long retired after35 years up the road you are learning .
There was always reputable firms around like the ones that post on this site however in transport few and far between.

you need a thick skin,tell lies like they do,you will never catch up on sleep,your wages will never match the hours you work.that is transport that is why men like men did it for years as a company employee not a owner driver.your lot will not change.you get to love it ,a way of life.