Becoming An Owner Operator

Any owner drivers out there have any sensible advice they could give me?

In my late 30’s, been a class 1 driver nearly 15years and have been thinking about buying my own wagon. The rates of pay are very low where I live (McDonalds were paying more per hour!) and I felt that I could earn more with my own wagon.

If I spent between 10 to 12 grand on a unit, how much extra would I have to fork out for insurance, tax, maintainance, etc, and as an owner-driver what would be a good wagon to start out with? (143 / FH12 ?)

So far I’ve only heard bad things! :confused:

Is it worthwhile ?

Am I being realistic in believing that I can earn a decent living from becoming an O-D or should I pop into McDonalds for an application form?

It’s not worth it unless you have a lot of financial backing. even though you have taken insurance, registration and other things into account you have to add running costs, service and maintanance etc. One blow out will cost you the days profit.

If you are determined to do it then I wish you luck but I have known many friends who have done it and it cost them dearly.

The old saying “there’s only one way to make a small fortune in transport, start with a large one” is, still, unfortunately true.

one of the drivers here had there own website with lots of information regarding setting yourself up as an owner driver.
it used to be in the links section on the old forums but it is not in this one. maybe someone else can help.
have you also looked into operating a tipper or mixer ■■?.
steady work and no nights out for most.

me personally, i would not consider it now because i have a decent job, but if i lived in an area with low pay for drivers then i might consider it.
good luck whatever you decide.
dave.

The best way to make money is to get into one of the smaller niche markets, like tippers and mixers. There is a constant demand for their services. Just ask Atki on that front. If you go for general haulage, then you will be competing with the likes of Eddie Stobart for some jobs. They can afford to miss out on one or 2 jobs, could you?

There are loads of post about “I want to become an Owner Driver”. The people who have done the research tend to get better answers!

Thanks for your replies, i’ll check those out :slight_smile:

FT …word of warning…dont think mixers are an easy way of earning big money.contrary to popular beleif...there are more ODs that go out of buiseness or even bankrupt than there are that earn a good whack in the mixer game!
it all depends (obviousely) on which concrete company you go with and were you are sittuated.
ATKIG11 may dissagree but i can only go on my experience and that of the majority of mixer drivers i know or knew.
TREAD CAREFULL MATE,ALL THE BEST. :slight_smile:

our Transport Skiver Manager said in a meeting that O/D’s would be licence to print money when & if the WTD comes in cos big firms will be snatching all traction available until 2009 any one shed any light■■?

UnionJack:
our Transport Skiver Manager said in a meeting that O/D’s would be licence to print money when & if the WTD comes in cos big firms will be snatching all traction available until 2009 any one shed any light■■?

WTD doesn’t apply to self employed until 2009

(definition of self employed needs careful watching)