Setting Up Owner Driver

has anybody got an idiots guide on how to become an owner driver?

i know this might seem like a daft question but there must be things people new to this game could quite easily overlook?

I’m thinking about it as i have made a few contacts in this job in the very short space of time i have been doing it and was contemplating becoming OD in a year or so but would not have the first clue what you need to do to start it. (i suppose being the owner of a wagon would be a good idea!)

Not been funny but if you need to ask then phraps this is not the ideal career path that you should follow right now.

Get more experience and use the search facility.

transportsfriend.org/html/ops/owner.html

Pretty much all you need to know in there and on the rest of that site.

Short of actual experiences of owner drivers doing it/having done it, which can all be found on here. Not a favourable course of action in the current climate judging by what most people are saying.

if you are planning a year or so ahead then get searching for every piece of info you can find on the subject. as others have said use the search facility on here and you will find lots of advice, good and bad. there are millions of reasons for and against but if your committed there is every reason to make a go of it. good luck and i hope you get sorted.

Giblsa:

i know this might seem like a daft question but there must be things people new to this game could quite easily overlook?

I’m thinking about it as i have made a few contacts in this job in the very short space of time i have been doing it and was contemplating becoming OD in a year or so but would not have the first clue what you need to do to start it. (i suppose being the owner of a wagon would be a good idea!)

And you’re off your rocker as well :unamused: :smiley: .

Rob K:

Giblsa:

And you’re off your rocker as well :unamused: :smiley: .

not really. just banding ideas about at the minute with the missus what i want to do when i get my wedge off the navy. its a choice of set up as an OD or buy a BMW.

not sure which to do but i am liking the new 3 series coupe at the moment better than the OD route. think i’ll just line smeone elses pockets while they pay me weekly/monthly! seems a bit safer. plus i can drive to work in a beemer! :laughing:

Bottom line is your fuel costs will kill you off before you’ve even started. Why do you think all the o/d’s with any sense are packing up or have done so already? They haven’t done it because they suddenly got bored. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Send a PM to any of the old school o/d’s on here - Coffeeholic, paul b being 2 examples I can think of - and they’ll tell you the same, although maybe in a less blunt way than I did! :wink: :laughing: :smiley:

Giblsa:
its a choice of set up as an OD or buy a BMW.

In the current climate buy the BMW. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Giblsa:
its a choice of set up as an OD or buy a BMW.

In the current climate buy the BMW. :wink:

i think i will until the government gets their thumb out of their arses and starts backing the British industries that are struggling instead of helping the needy and the greedy that pay ■■■■ all in to this country.

its about time we gave ‘handouts’ (i use this term loosely) to people at home not all the foreigners that need it because thier government is even more corrupt than ours!

Giblsa:
i think i will until the government gets their thumb out of their arses and starts backing the British industries that are struggling instead of helping the needy and the greedy that pay [zb] all in to this country.

you could be waiting a long time :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Giblsa:
its about time we gave ‘handouts’ (i use this term loosely) to people at home not all the foreigners that need it because thier government is even more corrupt than ours!

We do, and the amount increases each year, that’s why people who have genuine needs get too little :unamused:

you cant have been that serious about it, to change your mind so fast

Mixer-driver01:

i havent changed my mind so fast, do you think you could make this sort of decision in a few days. i think not.

obviously it needs to be thought through thoroughly and contacts would need to be approached to suss out the market and chance of ongoing work. it is something i would like to do but im being realistic.

i have no intention of doing it if i am going to blow in excess of 25 grand setting it all up to go ■■■■ up in the first year. i might as well have the best holiday ever and then sit in the house with nothing as have the stress of chasing my tail for 12 months to be told i have to go into liquidation/bankrupt (or whatever they do).

but then again if everything is in place and you have a gut feeling that it will work, with a lot of luck and a lot (and i mean a hell of a lot) of hard work and the backing of your family then i would go for it.

im just getting peoples feelings on the matter and researching as much as i can to make a semi educated guess if it would work. i have had a few ideas about niche’s (is that spelt right) in the market but no doubt it will have been tried before. another option is try to get a backer (member of the family with financial background) to see what they think and if they would invest along with you (half the financial burden, stress and worry).

is there anything wrong with testing the water to see if you are going to be eaten alive or float away on a posh top of the range lilo. No.

why do people always knock people that try to better themselves in life?

Giblsa:

Mixer-driver01:

i havent changed my mind so fast, do you think you could make this sort of decision in a few days. i think not.

obviously it needs to be thought through thoroughly and contacts would need to be approached to suss out the market and chance of ongoing work. it is something i would like to do but im being realistic.

i have no intention of doing it if i am going to blow in excess of 25 grand setting it all up to go ■■■■ up in the first year. i might as well have the best holiday ever and then sit in the house with nothing as have the stress of chasing my tail for 12 months to be told i have to go into liquidation/bankrupt (or whatever they do).

but then again if everything is in place and you have a gut feeling that it will work, with a lot of luck and a lot (and i mean a hell of a lot) of hard work and the backing of your family then i would go for it.

im just getting peoples feelings on the matter and researching as much as i can to make a semi educated guess if it would work. i have had a few ideas about niche’s (is that spelt right) in the market but no doubt it will have been tried before. another option is try to get a backer (member of the family with financial background) to see what they think and if they would invest along with you (half the financial burden, stress and worry).

is there anything wrong with testing the water to see if you are going to be eaten alive or float away on a posh top of the range lilo. No.

why do people always knock people that try to better themselves in life?

been down that road so i know all about starting up as an owner driver with a 100k truck,

read about it here,
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25447

even though that didnt work out i have not been put off and im currently enjoying being an owner driver again.

i wish you luck…

Mixer-driver01:
quote]
been down that road so i know all about starting up as an owner driver with a 100k truck,

are you still doing it or did you pack it in as well? (im not knocking you if you did, i bet you walked away with your dignity intact) i can see why so many do but you never know.

right time right place and all that. its true what people say “its who you know not what you know”

like i said im just toying with idea’s for now but all advice is appreciated. nobody knows the business and how hard it is until they have done it. im just trying to work out if i want take that risk.

Read this,
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ht=#290832

I sold the truck as the firm i was with couldnt supply me with any work, but ive only ever wanted to be an owner driver.

Ive set up again but with a much better firm :wink:

Mixer-driver01:
Read this,
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ht=#290832

I sold the truck as the firm i was with couldnt supply me with any work, but ive only ever wanted to be an owner driver.

Ive set up again but with a much better firm :wink:

the way i read it you were shafted by hansons?

who you with now then? or would you rather not say?

Giblsa:

Couldnt supply me with any work,

Giblsa:
who you with now then? or would you rather not say?

:wink: :smiley:

make sure you look into it carefully before making any decisions though,
even then it could still go wrong :unamused:

Mixer-driver01:

Giblsa:

Couldnt supply me with any work,

couldnt or wouldnt? it makes you wonder sometimes doesnt it?

Well Jolly Jack…if I was you I would have the best of both worlds, ‘how’ you say well easy really, Just buy a new(ish) van start doing courier work as a subbie there is a hundred and one companies offering this sort of thing, then start looking about for your own work you will be surprised how quickly you will get going.
Then if you really have to buy a BMW get one…Typical ponsy Jack :wink:

SMc (ex RE Airborne) :wink: