Becoming an owner driver

fuse:
When the silly WTD starts to apply to ODs I think it will kill it,

I say and always will say [zb] the WTD i wont and arnt going to even consider the WTD, tacho rules yes but that all i will stick to, if the job aint bad enough,

globby 480:

fuse:
When the silly WTD starts to apply to ODs I think it will kill it

I say and always will say [zb] the WTD i wont and arnt going to even consider the WTD, tacho rules yes but that all i will stick to, if the job aint bad enough,

The UK has opted out of it. Cameron sorted it about 3 weeks ago.

Harry Monk:

Driveroneuk:
There again you could invest your 20k in … a house in Detroit

Now you are having a laugh.

Here’s pics of a hundred abandoned houses in Detroit.

100abandonedhouses.com/

Now, you could probably pick up any of these once-beautiful houses for £20,000 or so but there is a reason for that. The population of Detroit has fallen from 2,000,000 in the mid-1990s to 800,000 now, and more houses like these are abandoned every day. If ever there was a city that was finished, it is “Motor City”. You might make a return on your “investment”, but you would have to live to be 200 to see it.

I could write a lot on this but not wanting to take the OP too far off topic.
HM you’re obviously a bit out of touch with just how much is going on in Detroit.
You certainly wouldn’t need 20K to buy one of the above examples, infact you wouldn’t need 2k, but you’d be very foolish to buy in one of those areas.

Here’s an example of what I would be looking for, the one with the silver car parked in the road, in an excellent neighbourhood, 4 bed 2 bath, on sale @ $35,000. Gross rent would be around $900 a month.

g.co/maps/3cpj5

I dont think ,ifact I know it has not gone through yet, I do know there was a vote in euro palment a while ago this was a vote to include the self employed but a date had not been set infact a labour euro mp took along some of his (brothers to gloat on the vote) I also phoned a top union leader who was most supprised when I told him I had got his phone number from a mag,anway I put him right on a few thing about haulage ie no where to park at night no toilets,long hours, low wages for the skills and that should I not be an OD I will not drive a truck for any one else .It may be a bad idea to drive ods out of haulage because alot like myself wont put up with c…p and may form unions.

Driveroneuk:

Harry Monk:

Driveroneuk:
There again you could invest your 20k in … a house in Detroit

Now you are having a laugh.

Here’s pics of a hundred abandoned houses in Detroit.

100abandonedhouses.com/

Now, you could probably pick up any of these once-beautiful houses for £20,000 or so but there is a reason for that. The population of Detroit has fallen from 2,000,000 in the mid-1990s to 800,000 now, and more houses like these are abandoned every day. If ever there was a city that was finished, it is “Motor City”. You might make a return on your “investment”, but you would have to live to be 200 to see it.

I could write a lot on this but not wanting to take the OP too far off topic.
HM you’re obviously a bit out of touch with just how much is going on in Detroit.
You certainly wouldn’t need 20K to buy one of the above examples, infact you wouldn’t need 2k, but you’d be very foolish to buy in one of those areas.

Here’s an example of what I would be looking for, the one with the silver car parked in the road, in an excellent neighbourhood, 4 bed 2 bath, on sale @ $35,000. Gross rent would be around $900 a month.

g.co/maps/3cpj5

There’s a lot of people getting ripped off by pensions if that rental return on the price of the house is right.The return on a £50,000 annuity is around £3,000 pa and you’ll never see the capital again.But put £35,000,let alone $35,000,somewhere reasonably safe like NSI income bonds and you’d be lucky to get around £55 per month.

2 things have sprung up here.

Do you need an certain amount of money in the bank first Or can you start with a bank loan?

You will probably need a bank loan but you need enough money in the bank before considering it, in general you will normally be paid 3 months after delivering your first load. That may be 12k in fuel alone, twelve weeks parking, tolls, and two inspections at 80 to 100 quid a piece. You haven’t paid anything out for your truck yet, you may have trailer hire and don’t forget your insurance.

You may say put a driver on but good drivers are like hens teeth I just park mine up then I know it is how I left it.

My sentiments exactly.

Good drivers are not like hens teeth, there are plenty of self employed drivers out there that will work for the right money and look after your truck.

From experience of both sides of the fence, if something is going to go ■■■■ up, it will do so whilst the owner driver is on holiday or in hospital, whether that is a blowout, an accident, a cancelled backload or a vehicle fault appearing. It is going to cost time and money and the possibility of not getting back to work on time until it is rectified.

There is a guaranteed get rich quick scheme on these very forums, it just means you investing half your grandma or something. :wink:

Carryfast:
There’s a lot of people getting ripped off by pensions if that rental return on the price of the house is right.The return on a £50,000 annuity is around £3,000 pa and you’ll never see the capital again.But put £35,000,let alone $35,000,somewhere reasonably safe like NSI income bonds and you’d be lucky to get around £55 per month.

There are some excellent yielding investments out there if you look. i.e. Student accommodation, carbon credits, bamboo, farm land, moringa, and teak (though ideally you need to be well under 50 to benefit from the latter).
There are also joint venture schemes where basically you capitalise the developer for such as new hotels (i.e Holiday Inn, London Docklands). Basically money in, money out 1 - 2 years later, usually around 22% anualised returns.

Driveroneuk:
There are also joint venture schemes where basically you capitalise the developer for such as new hotels (i.e Holiday Inn, London Docklands). Basically money in, money out 1 - 2 years later, usually around 22% anualised returns.

Well, I wouldn’t hold myself up as an investment expert but why would Holiday Inn borrow money from me at 22% annualised when it could borrow it from the bank at 4% annualised?

This is why the people who invested in Icelandic banks got into so much trouble, and they were only being asked to believe in returns of 9%.

If you have money to invest for the future and you want to play things safe your not going to get a big return at the moment.
The bigger the return the bigger the risk. If something is offering 20 or 30% returns at the moment the risk is probally up there with investing it on something at the 3 30 at kempton.

kr79:
If you have money to invest for the future and you want to play things safe your not going to get a big return at the moment.
The bigger the return the bigger the risk. If something is offering 20 or 30% returns at the moment the risk is probally up there with investing it on something at the 3 30 at kempton.

If you want a gamble, do some research on Sirius Minerals. you can buy for about 29p a share today (I got in at 8p a share), im holding out and expecting about £3-£5 a share by 2016. Falkland Oil and gas look good for a double your money return by early next year, and being able to get out before they anounce hitting oil or not dependant on other explorers in the area. Chaarat Gold Holdings have just found out they are sitting on 56% more gold then they first expected, but high risk as they may need future funding. Last but not least, Avanti communications look a good gamble for the end of next year to have doubled your money as long as the launch of hylas 2 goes well.

But like any investing, only bet what you will not cry over loosing, and dont take my word for it, Do Your Own Research.

But ffs dont buy a bloody truck right now, not unless you have some cracking cast iron mates that will guarantee you top rates and ignore others that will undercut you. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ironstipper:
If you want a gamble, do some research on Sirius Minerals. you can buy for about 29p a share today (I got in at 8p a share), im holding out and expecting about £3-£5 a share by 2016. Falkland Oil and gas look good for a double your money return by early next year, and being able to get out before they anounce hitting oil or not dependant on other explorers in the area. Chaarat Gold Holdings have just found out they are sitting on 56% more gold then they first expected, but high risk as they may need future funding. Last but not least, Avanti communications look a good gamble for the end of next year to have doubled your money as long as the launch of hylas 2 goes well.

Then why aren’t the professional investment managers from Barclays Bank piling funds into them?

(Joseph) Kennedy later claimed he knew the rampant stock speculation of the late 1920s would lead to a crash. It is said that he knew it was time to get out of the market when he received stock tips from a shoe-shine boy

If I had ever posted something like this on a public forum…

ironstipper:
An example of how I learnt this lesson was when I brought a grands worth of shares in “Cosalt” on the grounds of the price looked good. I’ve lost 98% as we sit today, and it looks like the company is bust. But hey ho, only bet what you wont cry over losing as they say. :blush:

Then I think I would have the sense to consider myself not entirely suited to giving investment advice.

Still, enjoy the £20. :wink:

Harry Monk:

ironstipper:

Then why aren’t the professional investment managers from Barclays Bank piling funds into them?

(Joseph) Kennedy later claimed he knew the rampant stock speculation of the late 1920s would lead to a crash. It is said that he knew it was time to get out of the market when he received stock tips from a shoe-shine boy

They do :sunglasses: same as folks like Purves and Glickenhaus. bloomberg.com/video/73857144/

Watch from 8mins, I quote “I own a few million of them” ect. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Oh his quote of £2-£3 a share was based on Sirius minerals finding a 5metre deep seem of potash, do some research, sirrius cored a 19metre deep seem of potash. :laughing: :laughing:

You have to remember Harry, these are AIM shares, high risk high reward. Pension funds and banks do hold these type of stocks for folk that have their investment set up with a percentage of risk in their investments.

I dont trust banks, pensions are a complete rip off and have been for 30 years and need the FSA to rip them apart. No government can be trusted with money. I prefer to try to make my own destiny. If I lose the lot in 20 years, its my fault not any fraudulent bank manager or one eyed thieving priminister.

Its upto everyone to choose who they trust with their hard earned and retirement. But I’m on track to kick back and relax in ten years when i’m 50. And to achieve this i just gamble 10% (£60-£110 a week) of every weeks invoice paid on shares.

Harry Monk:
If I had ever posted something like this on a public forum…

ironstipper:
An example of how I learnt this lesson was when I brought a grands worth of shares in “Cosalt” on the grounds of the price looked good. I’ve lost 98% as we sit today, and it looks like the company is bust. But hey ho, only bet what you wont cry over losing as they say. :blush:

Then I think I would have the sense to consider myself not entirely suited to giving investment advice.

Still, enjoy the £20. :wink:

So it would have been better to tell everyone that they could make millions then? :confused:

I’m not giving advice fella, I’m not registered with the FSA to be a stock broker :smiley: . But if you had put the full quote in, you would have posted that the returns on other shares have well over covered that loss.

And that loss is not a problem, because it gets put against tax on my capital gains, so Although my portfolio showed a loss, as for a cash loss it got covered by all us nice tax paying folk.

An example. If i sell £9k of shares, I pay 40% tax on anything over £7500ish. but if I put that £1k loss a gains it, i only pay 40% tax on any sell over £8500.

so at a £9k sell, i only pay tax on £500 and trouser the rest.

Dont slate me fella, this is really basic stuff, even my 13 year old daughter has a little punt every 6 months where she has saved a £5 a week in pocket money (obviously on my portfolio)

Now if you get your partner to buy shares too, you can have £7500 each per year in your pocket before tax. So its a good idea to share your shares out a bit. :sunglasses:

Harry Monk:

I think you might find that numerous institutional investors have bought swathes of Detroit houses.

Falkland O & G a good punt, I have Rockhopper.

Shall we go here and let tt3641 have his topic back?

Investments: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78139

Driveroneuk:
Shall we go here and let tt3641 have his topic back?

Investments: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78139

Well, it’s called “thread drift” and it happens on the main board of every internet forum.

If he explores the idea further, he would probably get a more considered response on the “Owner and Fleet Operator” forum, one click below this one.

Indeed.

Onwards!

How about looking at the forum title, Trucknet UK

Not investors united, most of the readers are on minimum wage or scratching about for 3 or 4 days work a week.

Anyone with these brain scamming ideas are wasting their time, unless they have an ulterior motive. or are so desperate for investment that the big boys have turned their noses up at instant riches.

If you want to be an owner driver, you haven’t got time to play the stock market, if you want to play the money market, click here

thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/index.html

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

He has been pumping that old ■■■■■ on every forum that will listen :laughing:

Better off investing in some magic beans and seeing if a bean stalk grows. :unamused: