New Owner Driver

Is it possible to become an owner driver straight after passing your class 1. I know the insurance will be high I have been quoted 8K

Steve

While the transport industry in the UK slowly but surely heads for extinction people are still thinking about attempting to start off in it.

If i was you i would look for a job that pays half decent wages & forget the idea of starting out on your own.

Believe me this business will get a lot worse before it gets a little better.

hgvsteve,

Don’t be put off by those who have failed.

Yes go for it. I did. Straight after my test I started my own business and 18 months on, its had its ups and downs, I am still working and earning a living.

Yes, insurance will be high, I was quoted 15k with Italy but that came down to a more manageable level by putting an experienced driver on the policy.

Seek out the work that will pay its way ; research the companies you work for and don’t be afraid to park the truck up for a couple of days if the work you’ve been offered does not pay.

There are many one here who are earning a decent living through driving trucks. Don’t be put off by those who didn’t get it right.

Best of luck,

Paul

Forgive my ignorance but I have read over the last few wks in the CM the number of businesses going to the wall and some of these are major players, MAT / Celsius First and McFarlane. If big established, experienced companies cant survive I can only assume that the smaller players must really find it difficult.

MAT and Celsius will also put other hauliers out of business and/or out of pocket, Ralph Davies, MTL and McLanachan are 3 who are owed thousands. Theuir fate is at the hands of Celsius who were at the mercy of Birds Eye and Uniliver.

I have also read the number of companies whp have filed losses for the last financial year.

Dont be fooled into thinking 'cos you get in with a big company you cant go bust. More times than not its the domino effect which you are powerless to stop but will put you out of business.

My advice is to get a job and learn the ropes first and you can weigh up things yourself.

no real knowing why these big firms have got into trouble, gone in to cheap to beat someone to a contract, mismanagement, someone pulling a stroke to write off a few debts, who knows, but there are also plenty who are doing very well.
perhaps the golden rule is don’t put all your eggs in one basket and don’t let yourself get in a possition where someone owes you that amount of money if you don’t get it, your finnished.

totally agree with Paulb, don’t get over exposed by one client. Run it as a business rather than a vocation and you will be OK.

Paul

Many thanks for the replies, and yes I do understand that its not plain sailing, my reasons however for wanting to become an owner driver are quite simple.

Getting a company to take a newly qualified driver on is extremly hard. Yes of course if I wanted to work for peanuts then its not a problem, or if I don’t mind driving sub standard equipment.

Yes we could all look at business going under, I however look at people investing in more units, looking for new work or new ways to work, and these people are just normal folk.

steve can i ask what you mean by substanard equipment .if its just cuz its not a brand new gloryboy motor then no your not gonna get a job cuz what company with any sense is gonna give a newly qualified driver the keys to a brand new truck.im afraid my friend that new drivers have to start somwhere and if that means driving an old truck to get experiance then thats what youve gotta do, we all did.if thats your only reason for starting a bussiness then maybe you should think about it .the owner drivers on here have a weath of experience and are a source of great advice but to get in to debt for alot of money just cuz you cant get a job is a big risk.when you compare it to running round in an old lorry for a year to get experiance,and as for wages since when did this game pay mega money yes it pays more than most jobs but look at the hours we do.if you do become an owner driver then good luck to ya and i hope it works out :wink: