Becoming an owner driver?

Well Men :smiley:

Im going to go it alone and become an owner driver, But I am far from experienced! Im 21 and have the test since I was 18 and have been driving over 2 years so I`m quite a novice!! but one thing about me is that ill work hard to get where I want to beā€¦ so could some experienced drivers and or operators explain to me step by step what I need to do to put my own lorry on the road, I am also based in Co,Armagh so possibly some laws may be different to England and the north of Ireland?

Hi Lee

What type of work are you looking at? Do you have a management CPC yet? Youā€™ll need a few quid in the bank for getting off the ground, and still have some for your statutory finance obligations, as well as an operating centre. If you want to do it, you can make a go of it, its just graft though. Im fairly sure the TRU have similar requirements to mainland traffic commissioners.

alexk29:
Hi Lee

What type of work are you looking at? Do you have a management CPC yet? Youā€™ll need a few quid in the bank for getting off the ground, and still have some for your statutory finance obligations, as well as an operating centre. If you want to do it, you can make a go of it, its just graft though. Im fairly sure the TRU have similar requirements to mainland traffic commissioners.

Well there should be no problem workwise, I was thinking of subbing for the likes of Sawyers/Norfolkline etc, I know its not ideal but it will get anyone off the groundā€¦ no havenā€™t the management CPC yet, I`m planning on doing it in june, thatā€™s the next time the course is on. Yea I understand it takes a lot of money to get started but thatā€™s why I need financial advice aswell, better to rent or buy a unit?? And when you say operating centre I presume you mean yard? can you not just work from the house? or does it have to be a commercial premises?

if you live in a terraced house then no, if you live in the country and have ample room to park the truck and neighbours who wont object then probably yes

Irish_Lee:

alexk29:
Hi Lee

Well there should be no problem workwise, I was thinking of subbing for the likes of Sawyers/Norfolkline etc, I know its not ideal but it will get anyone off the groundā€¦ no havenā€™t the management CPC yet, I`m planning on doing it in june, thatā€™s the next time the course is on. Yea I understand it takes a lot of money to get started but thatā€™s why I need financial advice aswell, better to rent or buy a unit?? And when you say operating centre I presume you mean yard? can you not just work from the house? or does it have to be a commercial premises?

Youā€™ll be well aware of this phrase being from NI :exclamation: :exclamation: :

ā€œCatch yourself onā€ :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

You will never and I mean NEVER take home Ā£600week (after all deductions) as an O/D subbing for the likes of ā€œThe usual suspectsā€ as Sawyers/DFDS (Norfolkline changed their name about 12yrs ago :exclamation: :exclamation: )/MorganMcLernon/McBurney on Ā£1.10/15mile etc etc.
Did you go to school can you add up what Ā£1.10mle gets you gross for running a truck LEGAL per week :question: :question: :neutral_face:

BUT,
it is fairly easy to take home Ā£600/week WORKING for them as PAYE,
anybody who wants to sub for them instead is simply ā€œmad in the headā€ :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

Big Truck:

Irish_Lee:

alexk29:
Hi Lee

Youā€™ll be well aware of this phrase being from NI :exclamation: :exclamation: :

You will never and I mean NEVER take home Ā£600week (after all deductions) as an O/D subbing for the likes of ā€œThe usual suspectsā€ as Sawyers/DFDS (Norfolkline changed their name about 12yrs ago :exclamation: :exclamation: )/MorganMcLernon/McBurney on Ā£1.10/15mile etc etc.
Did you go to school can you add up what Ā£1.10mle gets you gross for running a truck LEGAL per week :question: :question: :neutral_face:

BUT,
anybody who wants to sub for them instead is simply ā€œmad in the headā€ :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

tell me a company that gives you Ā£600 a week and ill be knocking at their door in the morning :grimacing: but they where just examples, ive also got English internal work in mind, so before I hook up to anyones trailer ill make sure I will be making money out of it

Irish_Lee:

Big Truck:

Irish_Lee:

alexk29:
Hi Lee

BUT,

tell me a company that gives you Ā£600 a week and ill be knocking at their door in the morning :grimacing: but they where just examples, ive also got English internal work in mind, so before I hook up to anyones trailer ill make sure I will be making money out of it

Easy:
Sawyers/Manfreight/MorganMc all pay Ā£600home+ for 3trips PAYE. :sunglasses:
McCulla now pay Ā£550home plus fuel bonus per week tramping.
Montgomery/McBurney/Birds both pay VERY close to Ā£600home on your ā€œlong weekā€ :exclamation: :exclamation:

Well Iā€™ve subbied for Sawyers and the amount of messing about their drivers get isnā€™t worth it, donā€™t know anything about manfreight, Morgans is Ā£200 a trip but because im under 25 I have to pay towards insurance so I wont be coming home with 200 a trip, another thing ive worked for Hannon before and never again will I go bak and work for massive outfit, its hard to beat the small man, and I want to be my own boss and do my own thing, thatā€™s hard to beat

Irish_Lee:
Well Iā€™ve subbied for Sawyers and the amount of messing about their drivers get isnā€™t worth it, donā€™t know anything about manfreight, Morgans is Ā£200 a trip but because im under 25 I have to pay towards insurance so I wont be coming home with 200 a trip, another thing ive worked for Hannon before and never again will I go bak and work for massive outfit, its hard to beat the small man, and I want to be my own boss and do my own thing, thatā€™s hard to beat

Well I worked for Sawyers PAYE and the work was a GIFT and no bother to earn Ā£600+home for 3trips
(But I never did the 3 :wink: )
Morgans is Ā£225trip (you just have to put the pressure on James ā€œSlapā€ Morgan :exclamation: :exclamation:
Ā£250 if you can run like the wind :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: )
The subbies get messed about quite simply because the Subbie gets all the DUNG (running ā€œcowboyā€) work yet you want to do that :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

The ā€œSmall manā€ who is a subbie on NI fridge work will be running BENT and
thatā€™s a FACT :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused:

BTW,
Hannon are hardly ā€œmassiveā€ :exclamation: :exclamation:

Big Truck:

Irish_Lee:

Well I worked for Sawyers PAYE and the work was a GIFT and no bother to earn Ā£600+home for 3trips
Morgans is Ā£225trip (you just have to put the pressure on James ā€œSlapā€ Morgan :exclamation: :exclamation:
The subbies get messed about quite simply because the Subbie gets all the DUNG (running ā€œcowboyā€) work yet you want to do that :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

BTW,

Well depends what you call ā€œdungā€, I would call multidrops dung, which most subbies donā€™t do because there is just no money in it for them, they want one hits as far as you can be sent, and if running bent means more money why not?? if someone working in a warehouse wants more money they work overtime, same thingā€¦

and hannon could be touching 150 lorries and over 200 trailers, their big enough and big enough not to care about their drivers

Irish_Lee:

Big Truck:

Irish_Lee:

BTW,

Well depends what you call ā€œdungā€, I would call multidrops dung, which most subbies donā€™t do because there is just no money in it for them, they want one hits as far as you can be sent, and if running bent means more money why not?? if someone working in a warehouse wants more money they work overtime, same thingā€¦

and hannon could be touching 150 lorries and over 200 trailers, their big enough and big enough not to care about their drivers

ā€œFill your bootsā€
then young fella BUT remember this one word when you start your big money O/D work on the reefers:
GLENLUCE :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Pardon me, I have not contributed much to this site, but I feel you know all the answers, so why are you asking questions?

M8whrr:
Pardon me, I have not contributed much to this site, but I feel you know all the answers, so why are you asking questions?

If I knew all the answers I wouldnā€™t have started this topic!! Iā€™ve been advised by a lot of subbies to go it alone and there is money to be made!! so unlike a lot of you`s Iā€™ve the balls to get up and do something with my life instead of spending the rest of my life driving a lorry I donā€™t like and taking orders from some tool in a office and working for a man that yous just grunt and moan about!

Irish_Lee:
spending the rest of my life driving a lorry I donā€™t like

A truck is a truck, they are there for work. Usually if you look after the one your given you will be given something better.

Irish_Lee:
taking orders from some tool in a office

Im afraid that wonā€™t change, someone still needs to tell you where your going.

Irish_Lee:
working for a man that yous just grunt and moan about!

Yep, I agree many people moan about their boss. Although many donā€™t understand what itā€™s like for them having to phone driver after driver and deal with any ā€œmistakesā€ that may be made.

Good on you if you make it work fella, I just think your coming on here with the wrong attitude. Iā€™ve seen a few drivers recently give up their own wagons and go driving for someone else. The one thing an Owner Driver doesnā€™t and will never have is leverage.

GLENLUCE Let her rip hill

Hey mate, Iā€™m also a young fella from co.Armagh looking a change, just been driving for 2 years for a local company doing 5 days a week with 1 overnight a week earning 9.60. P/h for class 1 multi drop work into the companyā€™s own shops, take home is about 350 per week. Pure dung! But always afraid to just make the step to a new haulier, always been a bit afraid if I couldnā€™t do it or made a balls up. I even went so far as to have an interview with manfreight and test drive which went well (i think) but didnā€™t have the heart to leave what I know even Though I really want to! So I must admire you for your ambitions to progress within the industry, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s how the big boys became what they are! Unfortunately I think what the other fellas are saying is right, it will be deadly to make a go at it and in fact I had a very good mate who did the same thing. He rented a scania from AT&T and went off subbying. He loved it mate, however I know he wasnā€™t running legal, if the wheels werenā€™t turning that truck wasnā€™t earning, as he had to pay for the rental of the truck, insurance and diesel before he could earn a shilling! He never had holidays and couldnt be sick. Needeless to say he handed the truck back and ended up working for one of the usual crowd. What where your plans mate? What lorry where you wanting egg? Buy I rent? If u buy you donā€™t have to pay it off every month, but will have to keep her well up on servicing etc, where as a service package would be built into a rental agreement.

Irish_Lee:
If I knew all the answers I wouldnā€™t have started this topic!! Iā€™ve been advised by a lot of subbies to go it alone and there is money to be made!! so unlike a lot of you`s Iā€™ve the balls to get up and do something with my life instead of spending the rest of my life driving a lorry I donā€™t like and taking orders from some tool in a office and working for a man that yous just grunt and moan about!

You come on here asking for advice and then seem to mock virtually the entire forum with one silly sentence. Some people might argue that it is YOU who is making the mistake because others have made something of their life simply from driving other peoples lorries. One thing for certain is that as an inexperienced OD you will be dished all the crap jobs at the lowest possible rate. Making a profit will be the last thing you manage to do. You apparent willingness to run bent speaks volumes for your character and you will be every managers dream, that is until you inevitably get caught.
Running bent is for mugs and yes men who have no backbone and if you have to run bent in order to make the job pay then the job isnā€™t worth doing.

Given some of the figures banded around here I am almost ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  myself laughing. I would not get out of bed for Ā£600 per week and certainly would not be expecting to do any nights out in that. Regardless of which path you take you WILL be taking it up the arse from somebody and upset that person and you will find that work dries up pretty fast so you will be sucking up to somebody one way or another and you will never be fully in charge of your own destiny.

If you are willing to do UK stuff then there are plenty of jobs paying lots of money, you just need to know what you are doing and how to do it which clearly you donā€™t or you wouldnā€™t be asking on here. Iā€™m not being a troll or anything like that, I just like telling it how it is.

Good luck either way, something tells me you will need it.

Truckbling:

Irish_Lee:

You come on here asking for advice and then seem to mock virtually the entire forum with one silly sentence. Some people might argue that it is YOU who is making the mistake because others have made something of their life simply from driving other peoples lorries. One thing for certain is that as an inexperienced OD you will be dished all the crap jobs at the lowest possible rate. Making a profit will be the last thing you manage to do. You apparent willingness to run bent speaks volumes for your character and you will be every managers dream, that is until you inevitably get caught.
Running bent is for mugs and yes men who have no backbone and if you have to run bent in order to make the job pay then the job isnā€™t worth doing.

Given some of the figures banded around here I am almost ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  myself laughing. I would not get out of bed for Ā£600 per week and certainly would not be expecting to do any nights out in that. Regardless of which path you take you WILL be taking it up the arse from somebody and upset that person and you will find that work dries up pretty fast so you will be sucking up to somebody one way or another and you will never be fully in charge of your own destiny.

If you are willing to do UK stuff then there are plenty of jobs paying lots of money, you just need to know what you are doing and how to do it which clearly you donā€™t or you wouldnā€™t be asking on here. Iā€™m not being a troll or anything like that, I just like telling it how it is.

Good luck either way, something tells me you will need it.

Iā€™m not mocking but when someone comes out with ā€œoh youā€™ll never make it work, donā€™t buy your own lorryā€ and that crap ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off, I came on here for the BEST advice to run a successful company, so I want to hear how to make it work not that I shouldnā€™t be doing it

and thatā€™s the difference between Ireland and England, Ā£600 is a top wage over here and you wouldnā€™t ā€œget out of bed for itā€, so thatā€™s another reason you should be encouraging me, to go it alone and get a decent wage instead of working stupid hours for ā– ā– ā– ā–  all

kf28:
Hey mate, Iā€™m also a young fella from co.Armagh looking a change, just been driving for 2 years for a local company doing 5 days a week with 1 overnight a week earning 9.60. P/h for class 1 multi drop work into the companyā€™s own shops, take home is about 350 per week. Pure dung! But always afraid to just make the step to a new haulier, always been a bit afraid if I couldnā€™t do it or made a balls up. I even went so far as to have an interview with manfreight and test drive which went well (i think) but didnā€™t have the heart to leave what I know even Though I really want to! So I must admire you for your ambitions to progress within the industry, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s how the big boys became what they are! Unfortunately I think what the other fellas are saying is right, it will be deadly to make a go at it and in fact I had a very good mate who did the same thing. He rented a scania from AT&T and went off subbying. He loved it mate, however I know he wasnā€™t running legal, if the wheels werenā€™t turning that truck wasnā€™t earning, as he had to pay for the rental of the truck, insurance and diesel before he could earn a shilling! He never had holidays and couldnt be sick. Needeless to say he handed the truck back and ended up working for one of the usual crowd. What where your plans mate? What lorry where you wanting egg? Buy I rent? If u buy you donā€™t have to pay it off every month, but will have to keep her well up on servicing etc, where as a service package would be built into a rental agreement.

your nuts driving a lorry for 350 a week! but I was in the same position as yourself and leaving was the best thing I done, I advise you to do what you want!! you wont learn otherwise,

and like I said subbing was just an example! im not tied down with anyone so I could get good paying handy work ie English internal work

I know mate but itā€™s that step into the unknown, I hate the multi drops pushing cages and furniture into shops is hard and in fact Iā€™msuffering from a bad back at the min. Who would you recommend working for?