What do you need to do to be a owner driver?

hi all im looking for some advise im thinking of becoming a owner driver as its looking grim for full time employment. apart from having a truck is there anything else i would have to consider ■■?

Scroll down page two and you will find a similar question.

Ahem…

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of money.

At least 4 months diesel money, excess of £10,000 in the bank for your O licence along with all the fees, insurance and maintenance.

THEN, you can find work…which is sparse at the best of times but at this time of year it is just hell.

roegster:
hi all im looking for some advise im thinking of becoming a owner driver as its looking grim for full time employment. apart from having a truck is there anything else i would have to consider ■■?

Been sectioned.

kr79:

roegster:

Been sectioned.

Frontal lobotomy?

Ross.

roegster:
apart from having a truck is there anything else i would have to consider ■■?

The first and most important thing is good full time well paying work. The reason it is “looking grim for full time employment” is because there isn’t very much of that stuff around at the moment. If by some miracle you can find that, then everything else is relatively straightforward.

Paul

If you think finding a full time job is hard where they will give you a contract of employment, imagine how hard it is to find full time owner driving work where they can get rid of you at the drop of a hat.

In answer to your question.

£10k
A certificate of professional competence.
An operator’s licence.
Somewhere to park it which is authorised for hgv use.
And last but not least, the promise of some full time and decent work that isn’t going to bankrupt you.
Oh and a truck.

1. The ability to use the ‘SEARCH’ function on trucknet.