Ban Trucks!

Ban Trucks, all trucks, every truck over 3.5t, 24 hours a day 7 days a week…………
Before you send for the little green van and men in white coats, I haven’t gone completely mad, just been thinking “outside the box” as they say, and I think it’s time we truckers started to join the NIMBY, Greenpeace, environmentalist, Looney left, Liberal Democrat, vote grabbing politicians et al, to get a complete ban of all trucks from the UK’s roads.
Now, I Can hear you all shouting “what about our livelihoods, how will I feed my family? I’ve thought about that too. First of all let’s deal with those of you in long term, full time employment. If there are no trucks on the roads, your employers will have to offer you a van driver’s job, with substantial compensation, or redundancy. Take the redundancy, sell your house, go live in Spain and sit drinking ice cold san Miguel’s.
If you’re not entitled to redundancy, then you have several choices. Buy a lumberjack shirt, cowboy boots and a Stetson, emigrate to Canada and go driving on the Ice roads in winter, or cruise along the wide open freeways across the rocky mountains. If Canada is too far for you, then try Poland. As every other truck in Europe is Polish registered, they must need lots of drivers.
As an alternative, go on the dole. Let the government pay your rent/mortgage, get tax credits, job seekers allowance, and don’t forget to get a dog, you get extra money to feed it! Anyone not entitled to unemployment benefit can always sell the Big Issue outside WH Smiths.
Think of the utopia for car drivers that this policy will create. Long stretches of roads empty of those annoying trucks, no more need to race across the roundabouts to beat the truck, no more heavy Lorries delivering to your local store at all hours of the day, getting the 4x4 to school with the kids will be so much easier. The average speed on roads like the M25 will increase dramatically to a head spinning 7MPH, commuting to work on A roads will be so much quicker, pollution will drop, the air will smell so much fresher. Sales reps will be able to cruise at speed, talking on their mobiles while reading last week’s sales report, without fear of hitting anything bigger than a van and the whole country will have a smile on it’s face…
Or will it? They will of course be a few downsides. Take 700,000 trucks from the UK roads and replace them with vans. Well each truck can carry up to 30 tonnes of goods, so lets say each 3.5t can carry 1 ton, that means there will be an additional 21 million vehicles on the roads most will be small vans that belch out as much pollution as one truck, there will be a total of about 50 million vehicles trying to use the same roads as we now have, so no one will get anywhere, but it won’t matter, because there will be no reason to go anywhere. There will be nothing in the shops, hospitals and care homes will have no supplies and of course, there will be no fuel to put in your car anyway!

Well said

Nice one.

I suspect you may have been on the same stuff I was when I wrote Dream Job. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Well sayed that man!
Fancy running for parlement?
It’s not well payed 65k per anum
but great holidays (keep the reciept thou)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I am not aware of any serious political or environmental group which has a policy of banning all trucks from the roads.

truckerjon:
Ban Trucks, all trucks, every truck over 3.5t, 24 hours a day 7 days a week…………
Before you send for the little green van and men in white coats, I haven’t gone completely mad, just been thinking “outside the box” as they say Sales reps will be able to cruise at speed, talking on their mobiles while reading last week’s sales report, without fear of hitting anything bigger than a van and the whole country will have a smile on it’s face…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There’s a few problems which will torpedo that master plan such as the government don’t actually cover mortgage repayments at least until you’ve been re po’d and the redundancy payments won’t pay for that early retirement in the sun :frowning: .But there’s probably plenty of thick politicians who’d think that you were being serious and not sarcastic so don’t be surprised if you find yourself asked to stand as an MP by the truck hating LibDemConLabGreeny Alliance :open_mouth:

truckerjon:
the little green van and men in white coats,

Just try to relax jon. We will be with you in a short while. :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:
I am not aware of any serious political or environmental group which has a policy of banning all trucks from the roads.

They all would if they had the chance Harry.Getting freight off the road onto rail is the holy grail of all the parties and it’s probably only the fact that there’s plenty of those like me who would’nt want to do intermodal work,even with a van :laughing:,which is stopping them.

Carryfast:
so don’t be surprised if you find yourself asked to stand as an MP by the truck hating LibDemConLabGreeny Alliance :open_mouth:

You would enlighten yourself if you actually knew what Liberal Democrat transport policy is, so here you go…

libdems.org.uk/policy_motion … eccd7eeb42

Essentially, the central plank of it is in building a national high speed rail network, and since this is primarily aimed at removing cars from the roads, it is of benefit to our industry. However, if moving freight by rail is less polluting and more efficient than by road, then I agree that this is how it should be done.

Any new rail network would take decades to put in place, changes along the way would be gradual, and in any event I personally think it will be highly unlikely that trucks will move along the motorway network under the control of a human being in 50 years anyway.

only one thing wrong with your wonderful idea, “ice cold San Miguel”
NO NO NO, absolutely the worst spanish beer Mahou, Estrella or even at a push Cruzcampo but definitely not San Miguel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We used railways for freight movements more than a 100 years ago. It was not an efficient way to move stuff so a better way was sought and hey presto YOU LOT.Rebuilding the infrastructure would be a waste of time and money if it secures votes then our political masters wont mind.

welshboyinspain:
only one thing wrong with your wonderful idea, “ice cold San Niguel”
NO NO NO, absolutely the worst spanish beer Mahou, Estrella or even at a push Cruzcampo but definitely not San Miguel :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And for us in Canarias DORADA pure golden and refreshing hic! :smiley:

Hodgy67:

welshboyinspain:

And for us in Canarias DORADA pure golden and refreshing hic! :smiley:

Ahh! Dorada now there’s a memory :smiley: :smiley:
many a pleasent drunken experience had in Los Cristianos :blush: :blush:

welshboyinspain:

Nothing wrong with a drop of “Senorita Beater” :wink:

Harry Monk:

welshboyinspain:

Nothing wrong with a drop of “Senorita Beater” :wink:

that makes me laugh Harry :laughing: :laughing:
I used to work delivering beer around the various establishments in Fuengirola and Benalmadena and the tourists would see the Stella Artois on the bar and say “I’m not touching that wife beater too strong” then proceed to drink any spanish lager which is about 5% to 5.5% :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Am I not right in saying the royal mail booted the rail companys a few years back. as they was massivly unrealiable ■■?
And went BACK to road transport !!!

Fallmonk:
Am I not right in saying the royal mail booted the rail companys a few years back. as they was massivly unrealiable ■■?
And went BACK to road transport !!!

They made that decision 5 or 6 years ago but a few months later changed their minds and still run trains between England and Scotland. I think it’s only about a tenth of what they used to move by rail though.

Fallmonk:
Well sayed that man!
Fancy running for parlement?
It’s not well payed 65k per anum
but great holidays (keep the reciept thou)

And mayb if you hurrry your applacation through you can get a nice 1 bed flat in mayfair, park royal or chelsea, thats only ov corse if you have to travel more than an hour to work cause i imagine on 65k a year its a struggle to put the petrol in ya car!.. and we will all help fund it lol… (sorry off topic, rant over ha)