Remember from 1st November

gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers

Can we use this legislation to ban fridges from parking next to non anti-social trucks?

Looks like good protection for us, from undercutting foreign competition?

Shandy123:

Only if it’s enforced.

Shandy123:

Oh yeh it’s totally designed for our benefit, and nothing at all to do with more revenue raising whatsoever.
I notice they list why they are imposing the weekly rest in a cab ban, because first reason on the list is ‘‘To improve the driver’s living conditions’’ how touching that they are so concerned over the driver’s welfare . :sunglasses:

As for you saying ‘‘Good protection for us’’ …it aint protecting me mate as I don’t own a fleet of trucks, unless of course the poor UK hauliers who are on the bread line, can now make a bit more from it, as I’m sure then me and you will be first on their list to benefit when we get our massive pay raise.

The number one cause of “Tiredness” isn’t working long hours though.

It’s burning the candle at both ends.

If you’ve been up since say, 5am with your normal home life, and then try to do a flat 8 hour shift starting at 21:00 - then guess who’s gonna be nodding dog by 2am!

Getting enough sleep is the easy way to prevent driver fatigue. :bulb:

robroy:
As for you saying ‘‘Good protection for us’’ …it aint protecting me mate as I don’t own a fleet of trucks, unless of course the poor UK hauliers who are on the bread line, can now make a bit more from it, as I’m sure then me and you will be first on their list to benefit when we get our massive pay raise.

I’m just thinking, that it might raise the overheads of foreign companies, who presently rely on their flip flops living in the cabs, sufficiently to bring more work back to UK hauliers. More demand for their services would mean more British drivers needed.
We might even get a genuine driver shortage, rather than a shortage of drivers who’ll work for under £10ph…

Winseer:
The number one cause of “Tiredness” isn’t working long hours though.

It’s burning the candle at both ends.
:

Aka known as 15 on 9 off :bulb: , …with in real terms about 6 hours real rest (sleep) in those 9 hours.
So you’re wrong mate it’s everything to do with long hours.
If the powers that be were sooo concerned about our welfare, and preventing fatigue based disasters on the road, our working hour limits would be brought forward into the 21st Century with a pay structure to match, where you did not have to work a ridiculous amount of hours to live. :bulb:

Unfortunately the haulage companies and their many disciples ie…the teararsing cab happy, who endure the job gladly on a work and sleep only basis :unamused: , will no doubt disagree with me.

Shandy123:
I’m just thinking, that it might raise the overheads of foreign companies, who presently rely on their flip flops living in the cabs, sufficiently to bring more work back to UK hauliers. More demand for their services would mean more British drivers needed.
We might even get a genuine driver shortage, rather than a shortage of drivers who’ll work for under £10ph…

Well that is exactly what it is for, fair competition. A lot of the foreign trucks that are parked up in MSAs for the 45 hr break are not resting but merely waiting for jobs to come in. It is cheaper for the foreign hauliers to keep them parked up in the MSAs for this period than to send them home, therefore by putting this new law into practice this should go some way to resolve this unfair competition. It does make it better for UK hauliers to compete and not lose out on contracts because they already have a vehicle and driver at the ready costing peanuts.

this bit…" From 1 November 2017, DVSA will start to fine drivers up to £300 if they spend their full weekly rest break in their vehicle in places where it causes a problem. For example, if a lorry driver spends their full break in the cab of their lorry in a layby. "…is the only relevant part that will ever be imposed now that some fanny has clicked onto the cash cow revenue.itl only matter where the nimbys have moaned,or at the popular densly populated resting spots for johnny flipflop.
every now and then itl be a swoop on the hotspots and a nice earner for vosa.
all itl do is move them on widespread. similar to all the hooligans being in the winchester club and it suited charlie chishum as they knew where they all were instead of having to go looking for them.

dieseldog999:
all itl do is move them on widespread. similar to all the hooligans being in the winchester club and it suited charlie chishum as they knew where they all were instead of having to go looking for them.

Yeh, The world’ll be their Lobster Tel my son. :laughing:

Dont get too excited my brothers…what will happen is this: Foreign hauliers will move to the services where there are no restrictions on sleeping in the cab, they will cook in the services, like they always have done, it will not lead to any extra work, as the brit exporters will still use cheap labour, regardless of where they have slept. What it will do is fill up the service areas, so when me and you want a 45 minute break, we cant find a place to park as they will all be full up with east europeans…watch this site for the posts : CANT FIND ANYWHERE TO PARK…I dont blame any company, no matter where they are from, i blame the legislators for not forcing the highways agency or whoever to build more places to park, and this isnt happening just in the uk, its happening abroad too, its difficult to find a parking space over there now as the east europeans are also taking the slots there too…the good thing is, they are not waiting for a back load, they are in transit. As for enforcement of fines just for that day…the French would always look through your records for any offence they could take a few francs from you ( or euros ) why we even had to bung em a few quid cos we had a full tank of fuel…ha ha so no news there if vosa are going back to the last month looking for the same thing, my only regret, is it took em too long to learn…lol.

Shandy123:

Way to compete,Cabotage in an EE state, couple this with a low wage and tax free ‘allowances’ and youre away. How many UK hauliers interested?..None…

AndrewG:

Shandy123:

Way to compete,Cabotage in an EE state, couple this with a low wage and tax free ‘allowances’ and youre away. How many UK hauliers interested?..None…

Few Irish do though. See several with BG plates across the continent.

A.

UKtramp:
Well that is exactly what it is for, fair competition. A lot of the foreign trucks that are parked up in MSAs for the 45 hr break are not resting but merely waiting for jobs to come in. It is cheaper for the foreign hauliers to keep them parked up in the MSAs for this period than to send them home, therefore by putting this new law into practice this should go some way to resolve this unfair competition. It does make it better for UK hauliers to compete and not lose out on contracts because they already have a vehicle and driver at the ready costing peanuts.

How would it stop that when reduced weekly rest,cabotage allowances and third country operations are all factored in.It’s just business as usual for the East Euros.

As for benefitting drivers as robroy says that’s a laugh when reduced daily rest is factored in.

Shandy123:

robroy:

can’t darn it … no more thread

the nodding donkey:
Can we use this legislation to ban fridges from parking next to non anti-social trucks?

Tough ■■■■ frankly.

Buy some ear plugs and tell your mum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk