Bad Loading

Wouldnt it be great if warehouse loaders could think like us drivers

After collecting my paperwork for a 2 day run around wales this morning found a large range cooker placed on the back end of the lorry… thinking id misread the first delivery note looked again to find this wasnt due to be delivered until my 16th drop out of a total of 23 drops.

Its not exacly rocket science to double check picking labels before loading goods onto a lorry.check twice do once thats what i always say…could understand it a bit if an agency had loaded it but this had been loaded by a long serving member of staff…

Before leaving the yard, pulls into transport office shows a picture of the poor loading to a member of management… oh and what a surprise is he interested… is he f@@k. Only solution suggested is to work around it all day… Yep nice one… so struggled all day while no doubt hes sat in a nice warm office trying to plan the next disaster oh sorry next delivery day…

Anyone had any experience of bad loading recently.Another common problen where i work is they love to load all your goods towards the bulk head…Always lots of space towards the middle and back of the truck… dont suppose theyve ever heard of axle weights.

warehouse ops more like warehouse muppets

My last job before i sort of retired was at TTX in Oldham. I refused to take a decker out one day because I had not loaded it myself. there were some good lads in the warehouse but they had no idea on weight distibution.
one of the problems with multi-drops, especially on a van is you have to have them in drop order, or run back and forth on yourself if your load is heavy.

Had a similar problem a month ago too.As our depot is only 10 minutes away from a vosa weighbridge its always nice to threathen them with this although knowing vosa theyd then do me with being over weight . its just ■■■■ right laziness sometimes when items havent been loaded properly.

United Carriers was always fun, especially when you had 3 broadlooms down one side of the van and 60 boxes of pretty polly tights on the other side, the loaders had to build the load around the carpets, but the driver had to tip the load in some kind of order. a 15’ broadloom could weigh nearly 1/4 of a tonne :stuck_out_tongue:

Mind you it kept you fit carrying them into the shop :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one good reason why i like my job. We do multidrop round the West Midlands but we sort the load and we supervise the way it is loaded. The FLT drivers are all good lads but they don’t know which ones are off the keb and which through the back doors - let alone watching out for the 10am deadlines, and 11:30 bookings etc.

Miss loading my own van like my last job at business post… Even at busy times like christmas i always knew where each parcel was for most delivery addresses.Timed deliveries and priorites were left at last minute.Worked great until a trunker was ever late then everything would fall apart…

The carefully organised parcels laid out on the floor would become all mixed up as warehouse ops were trying desperately to go home quick after a laid back night shift most of the time… Those were the days… looking back it makes me wonder how i never throttled the idiots.Not as bad in this job but getting there

One of the problems with supervising your own load is its classed as other work, yet the gaffers expect you to put your mode on rest during this period :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

rocky 7:
One of the problems with supervising your own load is its classed as other work, yet the gaffers expect you to put your mode on rest during this period :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

We only ever did 8 till 5 with an hour for dinner, now why the zb did I ever leave United Carriers :stuck_out_tongue:

Still we managed to get upwards of 50 drops off every day, what you brought back was added to the next days

stub30:
Had a similar problem a month ago too.As our depot is only 10 minutes away from a vosa weighbridge its always nice to threathen them with this although knowing vosa theyd then do me with being over weight . its just ■■■■ right laziness sometimes when items havent been loaded properly.

if its the nearest public weighbridge to where you were loaded i very much doubt they would do you for it. they might start asking a few questions but i dont think they would have a go at you.

im not too sure where you would stand about driving back to the yard to get it sorted but then again, how else are you going to get it sorted.

if your there when there loading just tell them the order you want it be nice and polite and usually they will oblige, if i wasent happy with load i would never of left the yard once you leave its your ■■■ on the line, working around loads is a nightmare but it does happen thats all apart of the multi drop driver theyt expect you to multi task as well, and just to add a little insult to injury you either have to handball or tail lift everything, but am sure it will happen again.

before driving i did some warehouse/fork work, it got to a point where i would,nt load a truck unless the driver was present, even though the drops were identical every week, the drivers would have them loaded all differently, never made sense to me which is why i used to wait for the driver

Here’s a good one for you…

Picked up a container at Soton with 3 drops on it. Now don’t forget that this box is sealed with a bolt seal.

Gets to the first drop, cut seal with bolt cutters, open doors and…

Thats not our stuff drive…oh there’s ours up at the front…come back when you’ve tipped the rest.

They’d only loaded the box back to front :unamused:

ended up going to the last drop (which was by the doors) and got refused because they would have had to handball it…claimed they wouldn’t under health and safty…they were expecting to fork it off :unamused: :unamused:

Dropped the full box/container back at Hams Hall 2 days later

Oh ah. Cooker on the doors… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Check that lorry, loaded in about 1/3 :wink:

It looks terrible (that’s why I removed the company name, off course I know some of you know the company anyway, but who knows the company, knows also that it’s nothing wrong with it) but in fact the way they were loading the lorries were brilliant.

There was a system that on arrival to the destination (where I had two days to do all drops) i was about to meet with the small van guy, who was taking part of the stuff, mostly small one. It was all easy to get. Then it was all loaded from the back to the front…

First time when I was given lorry like that to drive, I was really scared, but it turned out that it’s really pretty much easy… Until you could not make some drop becouse it was closed, refused or whatever…

Luckily I had few friendly places there where I could leave my stuff to colect it later… :wink:

So it’s sligtly off topic, as it is rather “BAD LOOKING LOADING” than “BAD LOADING” but it’s always worth to see :slight_smile:

And as an other curiosities from my collection:

IKEA sale in Serbia:

Steel transport in Bulgaria:

Turkish car transport:

:grimacing:

Our warehouse know the order my drops go on (not for longer though :imp: ), one of them even knows the way I like the pallets on - length ways on so they cant move whilst Im driving - but despite TELLING the others which I want them on they still put them on wrong :unamused:
One of them even asked why I have them on that particular, so I told him and he said “oh yeah good thinking” :unamused:

On this one the copper is about my 12th drop, the radiators in front are my 2nd :open_mouth: , this happens regular, and the warehouse manager wonders why I keep threatening to smack him when I get back 2 hours in to unpaid o/t.

Another

This is why the rads shouldn’t be stacked higher than 1 metre.

Before you smack him again, ask him to buy one of these or at least some stretch wrap.

stub30:
Miss loading my own van like my last job at business post… Even at busy times like christmas i always knew where each parcel was for most delivery addresses.Timed deliveries and priorites were left at last minute.Worked great until a trunker was ever late then everything would fall apart…

The carefully organised parcels laid out on the floor would become all mixed up as warehouse ops were trying desperately to go home quick after a laid back night shift most of the time… Those were the days… looking back it makes me wonder how i never throttled the idiots.Not as bad in this job but getting there

( as quoted by our lad who works there )
it’s not much better now but it’s a job. he is like you likes to load his own van so he knows exactly where every parcel is and can open the doors and lay his hand straight on them.