Over weight loads!

Hi there just looking for some advice from fellow drivers.
I am currently working for a national company doing multi-drop deliveries in (have passed my category C and saving to do my C+E and CPC after the summer, and then will be looking for a new job) up until recentally i have enjoyed my job but the company has put into place several changes, apparently for the “better”. The most worrying change (esp for me as i want to go into HGV driving as a full time career) is that they have increased the number of orders by 50% but still have the same number of vehicles on the fleet, this resulting in large, heavy loads which are often overweight! Apparently they have a system in place up country where they add up the unit weight of all the items and then an email is sent down with the weights of each vehicle and if any are overweight, however i dont trust this sytem! Yesterday i couldnt even fit the full load on board as there was so much and i was not happy taking it on the road like that so approx 16 containers were removed, and even with the remaining load on the vehicle slated backwards, there was no give in the suspension and the back step actually grounded on the loading bay! But apparently the load that i took out plus the 16 containers i refused to take if loaded all togther only made me 5kg over!! The handing of the vehicle was also noticibly reduced until i got rid of some of my deliveries. I dont know if when they work out the weights if there are taking into account the weight of the plastic containers the goods are packed in (a stack of them is a good few kgs) and other factors like fuel, the driver, sack barrow or if they are soley adding up the unit price of the goods. I have several photos of so called “below weight” vehicles which show them leaning, grounded and tyres buldging and one fellow driver emailed them to Health and Safety but not sure if anything came of this. I know the implications of being caught overloaded and cant afford the fine or want the points on MY licence but its just trusting their system. If a vehicle is actually flagged as overloaded then the managers are splitting loads but its worrying me that loads that to the eye appear overweight are getting through the system. Any advice would be much appreciated not sure if its worth contacting VOSA or just refusing to take out any dodgy looking loads, even though they may just be within the weight limit of the vehicle. Apologies for rambling on lol :slight_smile:

If you think it’s overweight, and the boss says it isn’t - then ask him to give you a printed note with the weight that they say it is. Means if you get pulled for overweight you have shown due diligence. I got pulled years ago, was 1.5 tonne overweight but my delivery notes said that I was 1 tonne under my gross. I got an NIP - but no action was taken.

What actual class of vehicle are you driving?

The Sarge:
If you think it’s overweight, and the boss says it isn’t - then ask him to give you a printed note with the weight that they say it is. Means if you get pulled for overweight you have shown due diligence. I got pulled years ago, was 1.5 tonne overweight but my delivery notes said that I was 1 tonne under my gross. I got an NIP - but no action was taken.

ok thanks il do that in future if the company wants to break the law its up to them but i value my licence!

You should be able to trust your notes for weight! If your unsure you could take the truck to a weighbridge to check! If a rigid looks heavy you will notice it visually! Sitting much lower than normal in the wheel arches! If in doubt tip some out!! :smiley:

Unless your route takes you past a VOSA checkpoint the odds of getting caught are very, very low.

If in doubt, proceed to the nearest public weighbridge, and get the vehicle weighed. Your boss cannot argue with that.

Thought i was seeing things, just replied to this question on the newbies forum.

Well posted it in there as i am a “Newbie” but also wanted advice from experianced drivers. Sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

No probs Trucker Lass, glad i’m not completely barking just yet.

When did you pass your cat C?

Passed in May :slight_smile: want to get on do my C+E now

Truck_lass22:
Passed in May :slight_smile: want to get on do my C+E now

Congratulations. But if you havent done you cpc yet I am pretty sure you are driving illegally if the company is paying you to drive

damion.p:
Congratulations. But if you havent done you cpc yet I am pretty sure you are driving illegally if the company is paying you to drive

Im still doing the job i was doing before i passed, theres no point starting to contact companies until i have my CPC :frowning: Currently driving box van so dont need CPC. Apparently VOSA dont normally pull that size vehicles but i was pulled at a routine check few months ago, thankfully that was before the loads increased

Truck_lass22:

damion.p:

Im still doing the job i was doing before i passed, theres no point starting to contact companies until i have my CPC :frowning: Currently driving box van so dont need CPC. Apparently VOSA dont normally pull that size vehicles but i was pulled at a routine check few months ago, thankfully that was before the loads increased

Do you have a c1 entitlement? If you do you have grandfather rights on the Cpc anyway, regardless if you have just don’t your c or c+e.

Apparently VOSA dont normally pull that size vehicles

as a van driver with class 1 licence vosa WILL pull you if they suspect your over weight. No points as yet but fine is in relation to how much weight you are over. my employers are just like yours. greedy tossers.

ibson:

Truck_lass22:

damion.p:

Do you have a c1 entitlement? If you do you have grandfather rights on the Cpc anyway, regardless if you have just don’t your c or c+e.

No am 26 cant even tow a trailer :frowning: another reason to do my C+E saves me doing B+E which i need to tow the horsebox

How do you know your overweight? Lorries do drive alot differently when heavy. Look for the signs if the double wheels are touching your overweight and if the mudgaurds are on the floor again your over. If your gonna run overweight the best advise is try not draw attention to yourself, wear your seatbelt, make sure the truck is looking good ie washed and not smashed in, dont drive like a prat etc. Being overweight isn’t a big deal and you probably wont get caught just avoid driving past the regular checkpoints.

Hope this helps.

Saaamon:
How do you know your overweight? Lorries do drive alot differently when heavy. Look for the signs if the double wheels are touching your overweight and if the mudgaurds are on the floor again your over. If your gonna run overweight the best advise is try not draw attention to yourself, wear your seatbelt, make sure the truck is looking good ie washed and not smashed in, dont drive like a prat etc. Being overweight isn’t a big deal and you probably wont get caught just avoid driving past the regular checkpoints.

Hope this helps.

No big deal? I got fined £250 for being half a ton over on the front axle, company got fined £1000, and that was back in the 1980’s! Also, if you were in an accident where someone was killed or seriously injured, then the fact you were overweight would count against you in any criminal prosecution, and could increase any jail sentance by some years!
As said before, if in doubt, don;t take it out.

Saaamon:

Hope this helps.

Vosa pull a lot of people over on the new “ocrs” system, it’s not truck specific and it won’t matter how tidy or presentable you or your wagon are, if your company has let MOT passes slip, or a few of the drivers have encountered GV9’s for whatever reason, chances are they are slipping down the scale and you might get pulled in anyway.