Over weight loads!

Truck_lass22:

ibson:

Truck_lass22:

Congratulations. But if you havent done you cpc yet I am pretty sure you are driving illegally if the company is paying you to drive

Im still doing the job i was doing before i passed, theres no point starting to contact companies until i have my CPC :frowning: Currently driving box van so dont need CPC. Apparently VOSA dont normally pull that size vehicles but i was pulled at a routine check few months ago, thankfully that was before the loads increased

Do you have a c1 entitlement? If you do you have grandfather rights on the Cpc anyway, regardless if you have just don’t your c or c+e.

No am 26 cant even tow a trailer :frowning: another reason to do my C+E saves me doing B+E which i need to tow the horsebox

Gutted… I was lucky and did my c1 and c1+e before september 2009 an I gained grandfather rights on the Cpc when I came to do my c and c+e, I’m only 23 and I did those 2 years ago, I think it was the year they dropped the age to 18! Typical, as I just turned 21 anyway.

As for being overweight, all I can say is it’s down to you, I’ve taken out some dodgy loads! Others wouldn’t bat an eyelid and would run that everyday. I think I’m somewhere in the middle and I will never point blank refuse to take a load like a lot of drivers, I would, and have told the boss that the load looks overweight does he mind me taking it to a weigh bridge, (which in the past he has always said yes) if he says no, I would take to the nearest weigh bridge anyway, he can see the ticket later and sort out the overloading in the future. If he doesn’t or is asking you to run bent, well again that’s up to you…

gnasty gnome:
If in doubt, proceed to the nearest public weighbridge, and get the vehicle weighed. Your boss cannot argue with that.

This^^^^^
At the end of the day its your licence so if in doubt call into the nearest Public Weighbridge.

Truck_lass22:

damion.p:
Congratulations. But if you havent done you cpc yet I am pretty sure you are driving illegally if the company is paying you to drive

Im still doing the job i was doing before i passed, theres no point starting to contact companies until i have my CPC :frowning: Currently driving box van so dont need CPC. Apparently VOSA dont normally pull that size vehicles but i was pulled at a routine check few months ago, thankfully that was before the loads increased

Sorry my mistake I mis read it has you was driving cat C vehicles

ibson:

Saaamon:
How do you know your overweight? Lorries do drive alot differently when heavy. Look for the signs if the double wheels are touching your overweight and if the mudgaurds are on the floor again your over. If your gonna run overweight the best advise is try not draw attention to yourself, wear your seatbelt, make sure the truck is looking good ie washed and not smashed in, dont drive like a prat etc. Being overweight isn’t a big deal and you probably wont get caught just avoid driving past the regular checkpoints.

Hope this helps.

Vosa pull a lot of people over on the new “ocrs” system, it’s not truck specific and it won’t matter how tidy or presentable you or your wagon are, if your company has let MOT passes slip, or a few of the drivers have encountered GV9’s for whatever reason, chances are they are slipping down the scale and you might get pulled in anyway.

It sounds to me like she’s in a 3.5t luton for a large co.

Oxfordshore Trading Standards and VOSA prey on vans and builders’ pickups; Easy pickings as the drivers are 90% ignorant of weight laws.

Muckaway:
Oxfordshore Trading Standards and VOSA prey on vans and builders’ pickups; Easy pickings as the drivers are 90% ignorant of weight laws.

look’s like it’s catching on, as vosa in nottingham, take over a car park near the councle tip and they are alway’s pulling sub 3.5tonner and many don’t get away with it, sometime’s i wish they would pull any vehicle (car/motorhome’s) cos they’ll pull a truck for a side light out, but not a car with a headlamp out…

We had our weighbridge tested by Trading Standards last week or so and they watched a couple of overloaded pickups…
Transit tipper 1: Brought muck in and was 500kg over. This was his 2nd load, the first one 1t over and TS just warned him and accepted he was TRYING to get the right weight. The driver was very polite and sent on his way.
Transit tipper 2: Asked for 1.5t of sand, weighbridge asked was he sure as he would be 200kgs over? Cue the “■■■■ the overload I always do it no problem” bs and as soon as he signed his ticket and left was stopped and hauled back. After calling the TS guys a few words (and blaming me as I loaded him) they booked him for an overload less than Transit 1 had got away with.

Of course if it had been Limeyphil, they’dve planted 3 wraps and an asylum seeker in the glovebox… :laughing:

If your running over weight in a luton/3.5t van etc ideally you need one with double wheels at the back, you can quite happly take one of those up to about 4.5-5t gross which will give you a good 2t payload including a tail-lift. You can use single wheel vans at that weight but you’ll have problems with rear tyre blow outs alot more, carrying a spare wheel is worthwhile and a good jack is advisable too because your typical car jack wont be man enough to lift it. From experience newer transits are much better than mercs, the springs are stiffer which stops the back end from sitting down too much.

ditto saaamon, the merc sprinter and vw lt 35 are now a bloody heavy vehicle, some model’s only have about 500kg payload…

The vehicles on the fleet are all single wheel mercs.

That is overloaded! :open_mouth:

It certainly looks overloaded, but I think that the pic shows the offside spring which doesn’t look bad at all.
Is the vehicle parked on the flat or on a slope which may cause the rear to be low.
I can guarantee that if the pic is honest that it would be unlikely that I would be taking it on the road, the steering must nearly have daylight under the wheels!

del949:
It certainly looks overloaded, but I think that the pic shows the offside spring which doesn’t look bad at all.
Is the vehicle parked on the flat or on a slope which may cause the rear to be low.

+1

If you dont feel happy taking it out then dont but you cant keep refusing to drive it because it mite be abit heavy.

Just to add when you first start out certainly from my experience you kinda have to do things that arent exactly legal, i know many people will shoot me down for saying that but the fact is if you want to learn quick and get yourself up the ladder you have to do these things.

It’s always important to remember that you can be within the overall Maximum Authorised Mass of the vehicle but overloaded on one or more axles. If the photo is anything to go by, it sounds like the bodywork fitted and the distribution of the load within that bodywork is putting far too much on the rear axle.

I’ve only ever glanced at these vehicles, but IÂ seem to recall that the frozen and chilled compartments are at the front - presumably to make the installation of the fridge unit easier. This means that the ambient compartments are at the rear, where the heaviest part of the load will go.

The management need to be told that they cannot go so close to the MAM without careful consideration of the load distribution and checking that the rear axle is not overloaded. The heaviest containers need to be loaded as far forward and as low as possible.

The point made earlier in the thread about the dual rear wheel vans is valid - but some of (thanks for the correction!) vehicles are over 3.5t MAM, which have to be speed limited to no more than 90km/h, have a tachograph with in-date calibration, run under an O licence and require drivers with a C1 or C licence (which many of the existing delivery drivers will not have) running under EU drivers’ hours rules. The absence of these requirements makes 3.5t MAM vehicles attractive.

Edit: corrected the MAMÂ of dual rear wheel vans - brain now firmly engaged…

looking at the photo I would say its the axle weight you gotta watch. The load might be under weight but to much on the rear axle which is down to load disrtibution

djw:
The point made earlier in the thread about the dual rear wheel vans is valid - but as those vehicles are over 3.5t MAM

sorry but WHAT?

Are you thinking of the wrong van? I am definitely sure a twin wheel transit is under 3.5 ton MAM. Even some of the sprinters and iveco dailys are in the under 3.5 ton weight range. Many of the japcrap flatbed vans are also under 3.5 ton

mucker85:

djw:
The point made earlier in the thread about the dual rear wheel vans is valid - but as those vehicles are over 3.5t MAM

sorry but WHAT?

Are you thinking of the wrong van? I am definitely sure a twin wheel transit is under 3.5 ton MAM. Even some of the sprinters and iveco dailys are in the under 3.5 ton weight range. Many of the japcrap flatbed vans are also under 3.5 ton

i thought they only 3.5t because then you can drive them on a car ticket and no confusion

mucker85:

djw:

sorry but WHAT?

Indeed - for some reason, I’d got the over 3.5t MAM Transits in mind (there are a few configurations over 3.5t) and my brain disengaged. I’ve corrected the original post.