Unsafe Load!!

Hi guys,

I had an issue with a pallet that looked unsafe, it was a double stacked pallet ontop of haz drums weighing around 1000kg, nothing in front and nothing to the side, on a rigid 18t lorry.

I spoke to our night manager and said that it either needs to be dropped down or taken off, to which he said he would have a look, I thought fair enough, then the loader said its safe as houses.

So I patiently waited and the night manager was a no show, he just went and sat in the office, the depot manager then turned up and instead of coming over to see what the issue was he just kept staring at me from the office door, 30 minutes had passed he then sent another driver over with a forklift, as there was room at the back of the truck I asked him to place it there, job done!

I’ve always thought that the driver has the last say with regards to a safe load and not the loaders, is this correct?

Stephenjp:
I’ve always thought that the driver has the last say with regards to a safe load and not the loaders, is this correct?

Since the driver is the one who’s going to get fined and lectured then I’d say yes

I think what you are saying is it was double height stacking when it could have been side by side. Surely the side by side is safer for everyone. if the manager insist the ‘unsafe’ load goes as it is, then nicely ask them to sign it off and that they have TOLD you to do it. In effect, you are being coerced into something you don’t want to do and you have the written authorisation that says so, be nicely persuasive in getting then to sign it, after all, if its okay, why shouldn’t they . If you feel that strongly, the if they no sign then you no go - its easy to say but appreciate much more difficult in the real world.

Yes you do have the last say, you are the one driving so you are the one responsible for the security of the load, so stand your ground. If you are unhappy with the way a vehicle is loaded then they either load it to your satisfaction or it stays where it is. " They always take it like that" deserves " then let one of them take it". The easiest way out of the developing argument is to say that the stress they are causing you, by the apparent implied bullying, means you now have a splitting headache so you feel unable to drive a lorry and you are therefore going home sick. Then make an issue of it the next day.

From the gov.uk website:

If a driver is not happy with how the load is secured or how stable it is, you should make sure that the load is:

assessed by a competent person

reloaded or resecured if necessary

That to me suggests you can dispute it or refuse it.
If a competent person says its safe you have two choices…

Accept it but get it in writing, naming the competent person.

Refuse it… and argue it put with the company. They may discipline you

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

cav551:
Yes you do have the last say, you are the one driving so you are the one responsible for the security of the load, so stand your ground. If you are unhappy with the way a vehicle is loaded then they either load it to your satisfaction or it stays where it is. " They always take it like that" deserves " then let one of them take it". The easiest way out of the developing argument is to say that the stress they are causing you, by the apparent implied bullying, means you now have a splitting headache so you feel unable to drive a lorry and you are therefore going home sick. Then make an issue of it the next day.

Not sure if serious…

Does your company have a safe space specially for you?

Have had this situation arise myself on a few ocasions where I felt a load was unsafe, one transport manager’s answer to my complaint was to just take it steady!!! It is the drivers responsibility for not only the lorry, but for the load as well as the strapping or chaining. If you are not happy with a load and feel it is dangerous in any way then you have every right to refuse or get someone with better knowledge to check it and sign it off. Lets be real here, you cannot afford to spill your load down the road and simply say to VOSA “well he said it was ok” you will ultimately get the blame.

I said…

I’m not taking it like that, it’s too far forward.
They said it always goes like that.
I said, I’m not taking it unless it’s moved back, so go and get your manger and tell him, he can then look for someone who’s already gone home, realise he’s got to make the decision himself and then finally come back and tell you to move it back.

They moved it back.

The defence of ‘it always goes like that’ is no defence at all.

Yes, I was back in there the following night.

yourhavingalarf:
I said…

Just a note on your signature, Big ben is the name of the bell, not the clock, not the tower… :smiling_imp:

LazyDriver:

yourhavingalarf:
I said…

Just a note on your signature, Big ben is the name of the bell, not the clock, not the tower… :smiling_imp:

Edited…

Accordingly.

Thank you.