Back to work tomorrow!

Just made some calls…

Got an overnight job lined up for tomorrow with Kalon Paints at Birstall, 0630 start :open_mouth: . £8.50/hr, £12.75 after 8 hours, £20 night out.

I knew my ‘no less than £8/hr’ agency tactic would pay off in the end :grimacing:.

Looking forward to getting behind the wheel again after 3 weeks doing zip. :slight_smile:

There’s an excellent long term tramping package with UPS Haulfast at Shaw Cross on offer if anyone’s interested. Some serious cash on offer - £600+ top-line per week, no kidding :open_mouth: . If you can bite your tongue with the ‘I’m important’ traffic numpties when they start you’ll enjoy the job; it’s a real doddle as I’ve been there meself. :slight_smile:

Very nice Rob, could do with that down here. I keep waiting but it don’t come up.

“I’m important traffic numpties” :laughing: :laughing: Gave me a laugh anyway.

I should be back meself tommorow, tooth extractrion today! Well, thats done at least.

:confused: Change of plan now. Needs an ‘urgent’ job doing tonight :confused: . I’ve been up til silly hours of the morning for the past 3 weeks so I guess another bunch of ‘silly hours’ won’t hurt.

Kalon job’s been filled by someone else but need a quick night trunk down to London for Perfecta Beds at Wombwell. Still £8.50/hr the geezer says :confused: . I don’t do nights for less than £9.50 says I. Geezer does some head-scratching and says yeah okay but you’d better do them a good job :slight_smile: . Checked that it’s simply a case of pick up a pre-loaded trailer with unit and take to London, drop and swap and come back. All with road legal tackle, that’s both unit and trailer :confused: . Yep says geezer, all modern gear. Okay says I, consider it done :grimacing:

Getting to be pretty good at this dealing game :grimacing: :sunglasses:

Gotta be at Wombwell for 1800 so better get a wriggle on :open_mouth: . Will post outcome when I get back tomorrow morning :grimacing:

“when” you get back tommorow morning rob? surely you mean “if” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (please dont take offence and shout at me :laughing: )

Fin hope not did 2 days on tippers last week 5kms in crawler up the side of a mountain do,nt even need it,agency phoned me up a 5. 20 tonight can you work tomorrow"yeah sure" :wink: :confused: :frowning: :frowning:

Im just doing a quick un to Spain for Malc Featherstone, my mate rang me cos he needs a break, Bloody wedding bells and haulage dont mix :stuck_out_tongue:

But then again I need the money!

Hi yeah wheel nut which part of spain are you heading for north or south ?could find time for a beer(or 3)if your down near la jonquera,froggy

Rob.Which agency is it with?

If you don’t wish to say,PM me.

Ken.

JONBOY@RH:
“when” you get back tommorow morning rob? surely you mean “if” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (please dont take offence and shout at me :laughing: )

YOU MUST HAVE THE WRONG GUY THERE JONBOY ROBK SHOUT :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: …NOT IN HIS NATURE :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Turned out to be another change of plan. Some other geezer got the London run (Edmonton area) much to his disgust :grimacing: and I got Argos at Marsh Leys near Bedford :open_mouth: . Expecting to be able to get my head down for 4hrs I was eager for it :grimacing:

Transport Manager (Phil), really nice bloke and within minutes we were laughing and joking and even their own drivers (well, the 3 I met) were brilliant too :slight_smile: . He got talking about their storage depot in Batley on Grange Rd (next door up the hill from GS&D, Ken) and I mentioned that I lived round that way and knew where it was.

“Oh, well you could take x trailer up there then if you know where it is, then come back down here bob-tail and do the Argos”.

So that was the plan.

Got the keys for the motor and then got a shock. As I walked towards my 4-leg DAF85 380/430 it suddenly turned out to be a DAF75 250 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

250hp for an artic :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . I thought Tesco’s were bad with their 310 Streamlines :open_mouth: .

Did my checks and fired it up :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: It was a 51-reg but it sounded ridiculous with it’s weedy engine :grimacing: It had a big lid on it as well which made it even more silly. Interior was clean and tidy but after driving an FH12 it seemed strange to be sat so near to the ground. Another weird thing with it which annoyed me was the acceleration went up in notches rather than smooth and progressive. Very annoying when you need to move about at slow speeds, like reversing :angry:

Got my trailer (15ft tall with tiny double wheels) but had a hellish job trying to get the red and yellow lines on. Had to exert some serious oomph. :open_mouth: Eventually got sorted out and on my way. It felt like it was my first time out in an artic again after having not driven for so long and also a different unit :confused: . Nice and easy out of the tight gate and off up the road. It was then that I realised how unsuited the engine was to the job. Fair enough, they might only be beds and mattresses but a big trailer like that equates to a fair bit of weight.

Anyway, not to worry, nice and steady as the money’s racking up nicely :grimacing: I soon realised that some more seat adjustment was required after I went over a dip in the road and the cushioning on the seat was far too high. If it hadn’t been for the wheel trapping my legs I would have been catapaulted off the seat to the roof :open_mouth: . Soon adjusted that to minimum bounce setting but now the tilt was wrong :frowning: . Throughout the whole night I couldn’t get comfy in the seat :confused:

Got up to Batley and the instructions were to “take a big swing to get in the gate as it’s a 180 turn”. No problem. Came down Grange Rd with some traffic behind me so indicated left in good time and took it completely on the other side and then checked no numpties were coming up the inside and began to bring it back in. Then shock, horror :exclamation: The gate was closed :open_mouth: . So I had to think quick and continued on down the road and pulled up on the left side well past the gate. I jumped out and started walking back up only to find that the security bod had now opened to gate :angry: :angry: . Got back in the wagon and had to go all the way to end of the road to spin in round :angry: . Came back up and pulled up, dropped the trailer off and then returned to Wombwell to get my Argos run.

I must have been in a dream world as I was coming back down the M1 because I went straight past J37 :open_mouth: and had to come off at 36 and along the A61. Got my second trailer which was a proper tri-axle full size wheeled jobbie and not knowing the best way from there to Marsh Leys I re-traced my steps and got on the M1 at J36 again. Although the vehicle was fitted with cruise it didn’t seem to maintain any speed, but you could limit the speed you wanted to do. Eg. I managed to limit it 50mph max so on pressing the gas it didn’t go any faster but you couldn’t actually set it to cruise at a speed without physically keeping the pedal pressed. I found this most annoying.

As the traffic had cleared by this time and the road was reasonably clear, the £££ signs got the better of me and I dawdled along at 50mph just to remind myself how boring it was. Yep, it was indeed boring but I needed a good 10hrs out of it to make it pay so it had to be done :stuck_out_tongue: .

Came off at J13 and zipped along the 421 and straight into Argos. Security man ordered me to turn the engine off which got my back up straight away (zebidee). Finally got through the gate and pulled up opposite the goods-in office. Went in with my paperwork and told to drop the trailer on bay 21 :slight_smile: . Then he gives me a mountain of paperwork to sign for my pick-up trailer :open_mouth: . I must have been there a solid 5 minutes signing it all :open_mouth: . Eventually I’m away and opened the doors to put the trailer on the bay but alas, no :exclamation: I opened one door and saw that the other door was holding in about 100 mattresses from falling out :confused:

Uh-oh. I went back to goods-in and told them and they said yeah no problem, just put it on the bay with one door open and we’ll take the surplus off then get the shunter to pull it out and open the other door. Don’t worry about it. Cool :slight_smile:

Did that and then saw that my trailer was to the far left of where I was. Hmmm :question: Did I risk a zebideeing from them about going against the one-way system or do I go all the way round :question: Plenty of time so went all the way round. Got to the security gate on the exit and told the geezer there what I was doing and he said, “you don’t need to follow the one-way system if you’re picking up a trailer, just go the other way round” :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused: . Bloody typical isn’t it.

Got my trailer and off I goes. Needed to have a 45 off by this point so I nashed along the 421 to the big BP garage with the A6 junction and had it down there after picking up something to drink.

Pulled my map out to consult for the best way back and noticed that there isn’t much in it, going up the A1 or the M1 so decided to do the A1 for a change. Got to the end of the 421 with the A1 and waited for a TK-Max artic to come across. I pulled out behind him and followed him up the A1 but he was only doing 40mph. I was only going to 50mph so let him get his speed up first and waited behind. A mile down the road he’s still doing 40mph so I pulled out round him. 5 minutes down the road he’s sat 2mm off my trailer trying to push me along :open_mouth: . Then he got bored of that and eased off into the distance again :confused: . Eventually he came tear-arsing past me and nearly took my cab off :open_mouth:

Apart from that clown everyone else was being happy truckers :grimacing: . Came off on the 635 and went along Dearne Valley back to the yard. Got back to the yard and saw the shunter.

“No space for your trailer here”, he says, “you’ll have to drop it off at Brampton”.

Brampton :question: That’s down the A1 somewhere :open_mouth: . Luckily it turned out to be Brampton near Wombwell and my directions were to head back towards the by-pass but go straight over the 3rd roundabout, go past an offset cross-roads and it’s the next turning on the left. Off I went, following the instructions but that “next turning on the left” was into a housing estate :open_mouth: . Spent some more time trying to find it but it was nowhere to be found and I was now miles out of my way so I found the number for security in the cab phone and belled him up and asked him. He put me onto the shunter and he said that I should’ve turned left at the 3rd roundabout. :confused: :angry: I eventually found the place and dropped the trailer off.

Got back to the yard for a 3rd time, completed my paperwork and went to get my timesheet signed. No-one in authority to sign so filled in my hours correctly and left it with security.

Walked up to my van and started her up and one of their own drivers pulled up at the side of me. We got talking and then he set off walking down to the yard. As I went past him he shouted at me to stop :open_mouth: . Turned out I had a flat f/n/s tyre :frowning: . Zebidee. That’s just what I don’t want at 4.45am without a pump or anything to change the tyre with.

Sincerely hoping it wasn’t a puncture and just a flat, I gingerly drove it the half mile up to the Tesco’s and slapped some air in it. Luckily, it didn’t go down again so job done. My prayers were answered :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: . It then dawned on me that I was just about out of juice so spun it round on to the automated pumps and inserted my card. It churned it a few times and then returned with a full length crack across the magnetic strip :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: and said it was unreadable :open_mouth: . There was nothing wrong with it until I put it in. Fortunately I managed to find another garage which was open nearby.

So there endeth the shift. 8hrs driving completed and 10hrs 45 duty time. £115.19 racked up for my services will do me nicely :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Rob K:
Some other geezer got the London run (Edmonton area) much to his disgust

hehe… i know where that is… i go in it every night of the week and laugh at poor people trying to get on bays there… sorts the drivers from the drivers :smiley:

Off to Parcelnet tonight :slight_smile: Got a depot somewhere on the Manchester side of M1 J37 - only a couple of junctions down the motorway from here.

Same money again £9.50/hr and time & half after 8 :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Agency man says should be in there Friday night too :slight_smile:

Was feeling a bit rough for past few days so knocked the work on the head :frowning:

Will let you know how it goes when I get back in the morning; need to get a wriggle on as I need to be there for 1730 :confused:

:grimacing:

Is anyone actually interested in my adventures or shall I give up :question: :frowning:

Someone keeps asking drivers to post diaries of what they get up to through the week so I had a crack but no-one seems bothered now :cry:

Fwiw, it wasn’t Parcelnet at all; I got my wires crossed.

It was JDF Logistics at Dodworth which is just off M1 J37 :confused: .

Did a run in an 02-reg FM12 manual with a 40ftx14ft trailer to Lenham Storage in Weyhill which is on the western side of Andover.

I’ve just had to bell them up and apologise for stealing the drivers BIG TIMER :blush: . I’ve got one myself as was about to set it going at the start of driving but then I noticed he had one himself sitting on the top of the dash so I used his instead. When I’d finished my shift I was putting all my stuff back in my bag and automatically thinking it was mine I put it in my bag. It was only when I got home later and heard the alarm go off that I realised it was a different tone to mine and then the penny dropped.

Bet the regular driver is thinking, "zebideeing thieving agency drivers :angry: ". So sorry to the good agency driver brigade for further blackening your name :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing:

I’m not needed there tonight but there’s some weekend day work up for grabs :slight_smile: . I said I’d be interested but would have to negotiate a suitable rate with the agency first :sunglasses: :grimacing: . I just belled the guy up and he said, “yeah it’s a good rate there on a weekend. Saturdays are £14 all the way through and Sundays are at £16 all the way through” :slight_smile: .

Me: I don’t get out of bed for less than £15 on a Saturday and Sundays… :question: :confused: Wellllllllll… it would have to be £17.50 at least :wink:

Geezer: I knew that was coming :confused: . Well we’ve had nothing but praise from the clients you’ve been in with so far this week so I suppose we could probably stretch to that :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Guess who’s looking forward to working weekends :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Hell, two full weekend shifts and I could have the rest of the week off :grimacing:

# MONEY, MONEY, MONEY… IS A RICH MAN’S WORLD :sunglasses:

Rob K:
Guess who’s looking forward to working weekends :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Hell, two full weekend shifts and I could have the rest of the week off :grimacing:

If you’ve nothing better to do on a weekend, then working it certainly seems to be a good idea if you’re getting almost twice the weekday rate. Gives you the option of doing a 3day week and still getting about the same money as if you were working the 5 weekdays (or still doing a 5 day week and properly raking it in). You just have a completely different set of idiots on the road to contend with…

Nice 1 Mr.K.

Ken.

rob stop being a drama queen, i read your stories :wink:

I’m reading them Rob.

Me too! :grimacing:

ps.Like the “zebidee” thing, btw…very original, and very “you”… :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good good :grimacing: Glad we’re all keeping up :grimacing:.

Agencies just don’t seem to grasp the idea that those drivers who do nights need to sleep sometime through the day :angry: Five missed calls on my bell and when I did contact him - "why weren’t you answering your phone :question: ". :confused:

DOH :imp: 6 hours sleep just wasn’t enough but I’m up now :angry:

Meant to be going to Wickes at Normanton tonight for a 1900 start, same money, so it looks like weekend work with JDF is off :cry:

Only problem with Wickes is that I need my safety boots and I still haven’t replaced my last pair after they miraculously disappeared when my Featherstone’s motor got written off :confused: . Agency said they’ve got a brand new pair in the office for me which should fit but that means zebideeing about into the middle of Wakefield in the Friday night rush. :frowning:

Got 12hrs 45 in last night after they’d taken a 45 break off so that’s another £143.69 in my beer fund pot :slight_smile:

:sunglasses: