Asian Transport

I have a copy of Commercial Motor from Feb 1965, this is the one that has the artical about Asian Transport’s first trip to Kabul.
Hope you enjoy the scans.

very good.

any other good articles in the mag.

the article was taken from a Commercial Motor paper.
No more “Middle Easty” stuff in that particular issue, although there have been many such Mid East articles over the years in both C M and Motor Transport.

Heres one of the original photos from C M. Tahir mountains, Turkey.

Excellent article,imagine doing that run in a day cab !!!

DEANB:

Yes, but what a day cab. :laughing: The Invincible/Warrior was far ahead of it’s time, comfy to drive, great visibilty, and loads of room. If only they’d made a sleeper version. :unamused:
Mate of mine used to sleep on the bonnet fore and aft. :open_mouth: :laughing:
Only problem was the handbrake, on mine at least, it disappeared into the floor and you had to stamp on it to release it, fine unless you were doing a hill start and needed your left foot on the clutch. :open_mouth:

BTW that York trailer looks suspiciously like some of the shortarse ones we had at Midlands Storage. What would they be? 28ft, 33ft?

Spardo:

DEANB:

Yes, but what a day cab. :laughing: The Invincible/Warrior was far ahead of it’s time, comfy to drive, great visibilty, and loads of room. If only they’d made a sleeper version. :unamused:
Mate of mine used to sleep on the bonnet fore and aft. :open_mouth: :laughing:
Only problem was the handbrake, on mine at least, it disappeared into the floor and you had to stamp on it to release it, fine unless you were doing a hill start and needed your left foot on the clutch. :open_mouth:

BTW that York trailer looks suspiciously like some of the shortarse ones we had at Midlands Storage. What would they be? 28ft, 33ft?

I think that the trailer will be 26/28’, def not long enough to be 33’

Not only was it a day cab, but 2 men shared it all the way there…and all the way back!
The trip to Kabul took just 25 running days after leaving Tilbury.
Michael Woodman and Bob Paul the 2 then owners of the “fledgling” company named as Asian Transport completed 3 round trips together!
Impressive? Oh yes, i do think so!