Asian transport / astran appeal

A “few years ago” I began helping a mate research a “warts an’ all” book about the Middle East. It now looks like that project has been shelved, at least for the time being. I therefore feel that I should do something myself due to the fact that I had already researched an awful lot about the phenomenon that was “the Middle East run”.

I have started to write my own book which will concentrate solely on ASTRAN and will be filled with lots of photos, stories and anecdotes throughout, along with a concise history of the company starting with their very first trip in 1965.
I have made great progress so far and have located a lot of the drivers and employees. I am especially proud to say that I have also found some of the “old boys” from the early days. Sadly some men have died, but there are still some more who are “alive and kicking” and out there somewhere! (GS and Truckyboy have already been helpful)

So: I’m looking for anyone else who is still “out there” and who worked for, or had anything to do with ASIAN TRANSPORT and/or ASTRAN. It doesn’t matter whether you were a driver, a subby, a fitter, a cleaner or even a security man, you may well have a vital bit of information. There are still a few pieces of my Astran jigsaw which I need to find and fit in.
Or if you know of someone who worked there and can pass their contact details onto me, that will be just as helpful.

If you would like to add something, but would prefer to remain out of the “limelight”, then i’ll respect that when you get in touch.

Please contact me through this thread, send a PM, or e mail me at ashleycoghill@aol.com

I know you’ve heard it all before about books being written and never seeing the light of day, but I can assure you all that this project WILL get finished and published. I cannot say too much right now, but I have good encouragement and backing from some important people connected with my project.They are all very much behind me and apart from that, there are a lot of people now eagerly waiting for the finished article!
I have no definate release date yet, but hope to have everything ready by next summer. I will try and keep everyone updated as and when things move on a stage.

Nice one Ash…sorry I havent any info, pics etc of Astrans, i wish I did!!!.. but I would definatly buy the book when its published.

Maybe you can negotiate a special price for TN members!! :laughing: :wink:

Ash I think you should try to contact this man if you can as I believe that he has probably done more trips than anyone else and infact he is still going there. HMMM that will undoubtably cause a big debate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

He took most of my old LHD Scanias out and sold them.

Here he is with one of them.

Barry Barnes

Regards Pat

Hi Pat
You are right there, I just spoke with Hooperman who is at Ancona, Fiddler Barnes is almost in Doha as we speak.
Regards
GS

Ps can you PM me his phone number please, I havnt spoke to him for about 16yrs.

ainacs:
Ash I think you should try to contact this man Barry Barnes Regards Pat

Hi Pat. thanks for the info. I do know of Barry. Speaking to some of the subbies and sellers, they all ask if I have spoken to him, but as yet I havn’t. Got a pic of him in an early 142 6x2 tag. Siver one, red stripes: A687 XTG. Ring any bells? It was a right ■■■■■■ though. ASH.

Hi Ash

That was probably his first Scania when he became an owner/driver after working for Astrans.

There is a pic of him in shorts on this site somewhere with about 3 others in front of trucks I think.

Regards pat

thats the one Pat !

Hello ash, i can put you in touch with ■■■■ Snows wife, she may be willing to talk to you, although NLG did talk to her before. I have a couple of his diaris from some trips ■■■■ did, including one of his very first in one of the pink ladies. ■■■■’swife is my uncles sister!! work that out.

Can anyone tell me where Fiddler Barnes yard is, or where he runs out of?

thanks Mr 141. that would be a great help. I’ve sent you a PM. :wink:

Mr 141:
Hello ash, i can put you in touch with ■■■■ Snows wife, she may be willing to talk to you, although NLG did talk to her before. I have a couple of his diaris from some trips ■■■■ did, including one of his very first in one of the pink ladies. ■■■■’swife is my uncles sister!! work that out.

Can anyone tell me where Fiddler Barnes yard is, or where he runs out of?

Fiddler Barnes has a sort of yard at Landford near Southampton and as he comes in my yard quite regularly i will ask him to get in touch but don’t hold your breath!

Regards Pat

ainacs:
Hi Ash

That was probably his first Scania when he became an owner/driver after working for Astrans.

There is a pic of him in shorts on this site somewhere with about 3 others in front of trucks I think.

Regards pat

Ash
The picture in question is one of mine, I can mail you the original if you like.
Barry is in Doha now…
And Hooperman is on his way down, probably at Ipsala.
GS

Hi Ash…ive sent you an e.mail..i normally only get to come on here at the weekends, but im off tom and ■■■■ at the moment.

GS OVERLAND:
The picture in question is one of mine, I can mail you the original if you like.
GS

Gavin. that would be great, thanks.

truckyboy:
Hi Ash…ive sent you an e.mail..i normally only get to come on here at the weekends, but im off tom and ■■■■ at the moment.

:confused: Just checked (7.30pm Wed) but no e mail there yet :confused:
can you send it again to: ashleycoghill@aol.com thanks.

500-