Article on the BBC news website about female truckers

Article on the BBC news website about female truckers.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4665742.stm

Don’t be fooled by the power steering, as your arms still have to do more work than driving a car. It’s still a physical job, especially when someone cuts in on you and you have to work your way back up the split gearbox.

What a load of Crap. If that blokes gearbox is so heavy he needs to take it to a garage! Or maybe try changing when the revs are right! :laughing:

A) I’m sure that woman standing next to the Scania is my Mother :laughing:
She’s going to kill me :frowning: :smiley:

B) Maybe this explains why they can’t get enough of anybody to drive trucks.

“The image of the industry has been less than attractive,” says Mr Hetherington. “It’s perceived as a ‘no-hope’ job that doesn’t go anywhere and involves large and polluting vehicles that clog up the road.”

There isn’t a shortage of truck drivers, there’s a shortage of good, experienced trucks drivers. Which are the one’s the companies want, they don’t want the expense of training or letting people get experience, unless they can pay a pitance.

So it doesn’t matter how many people you train, it’ll do no good if they all leave after a few years because they are fed up with unsociable hours, bad facilities and being treated like dirt by bosses, customers and the general public.

Training to drive a Class One LGV takes about four weeks’ training

Since when :question: :question: …I had four days including test for class 2 and only three days including test for class 1. :confused: :confused:

Scan

The job can offer flexible hours

now thats funny :laughing: :laughing:

jon

No thats not funny, thats VERY funny, are they sure they don’t mean the driver has to be very flexible.

That was my favourite bit too… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think what they’re trying to say is with haulage you could get a job working evenings rather than 9-5’s Which clash with school hours etc.

Same reason many people go and get jobs working at Tesco filing shelves in an evening.

Quite possibly…but most mums don’t consider a reasonable “evening” shift to finish the following morning!!!

I only know of one lass who tries to do mum-care after a night shift, and she struggled to find the job which enabled her to do that within the constraints of available childcare…then she was knackered all day because she was looking after her son…and if people have school age kids, their either looking for day jobs (with reliable start/finish times) or are stuffed come the holidays.

Sorry Dennis, but these recruiters just aren’t in the real world if they think having kids and driving is a good mix…especially if you’re after a second income rather than a full-time slog. :open_mouth:

I liked the bit where Katie said she likes getting dirty…i wonder where she parks up at night ■■? maybe i could also get dirty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway …she was one of the lucky ones because her father owns the firm she works for…i wonder how many women drivers out there have had problems in finding work…i keep reading about male drivers who have just passed their test …only to feel down hearted after failing to find employment…i would say its twice as bad for the female equivalent…or maybe impossible…i have encountered back in the 80`s, quite a few women international drivers, and have worked for companies who were willing to employ them…but most of them were australian or new zealanders…i havnt seen many for a few years now…some of them were quite tasty too…

i would say its twice as bad for the female equivalent

Depends how good looking they are…

…sexist but true! :laughing:

Don’t be fooled by the power steering, as your arms still have to do more work than driving a car. It’s still a physical job, especially when someone cuts in on you and you have to work your way back up the split gearbox. To add to the joy, there are A roads with bends too sharp for even a 7.5 ton truck to get round on the left hand side, let alone 44 tons. Of course, the only ones who’ll notice a woman driving are other truck drivers.
John Airey, Peterborough, UK

Can’t believe how much of an MCP that guy is though!

It’s still a physical job, especially when someone cuts in on you and you have to work your way back up the split gearbox.

Wow because it’s such a physically demanding task to change gear! I guess weak and feeble girlies cant cope with that! :unamused:

To add to the joy, there are A roads with bends too sharp for even a 7.5 ton truck to get round on the left hand side, let alone 44 tons

And■■? That’s what power steering is for :unamused:

What a total load of crap.

the challenges of handling a 44-ton articulated lorry with split gearbox will always take precedence over what sort of mascara to put on in the morning.

Not as long as the hole in my backside points to the ground it won’t. :laughing: :laughing:

men-only world of transport cafes, tattooed biceps and Yorkie bars.

I rarely eat in transport cafes now,because I’m no longer doing nights out,I have no tattoos,and don’t eat Yorkie bars.

with a predicted shortfall of 46,000 large goods vehicle (LGV) drivers.

Now being filled by our European cousins.

the bad image of trucking means it has failed to attract young drivers, both male and female.

And the fact that the youth of today don’t want to get their hands dirty,and can make as much in an office on a 9-5 job__*.(See below)__

“It’s perceived as a ‘no-hope’ job that doesn’t go anywhere and involves large and polluting vehicles that clog up the road.”

And the fact this,and other countries can’t survive without them.

“It doesn’t have to be long-distance work. Much of it involves relatively short journey times, for example from supermarket depots to the stores themselves.”

With more ‘Super RDC’s’ coming on,companies are having to travel further to get their goods to the supermarkets,because they’re closing a lot of smaller ones.Exel/Sainsburys at Rotherham is a recent example,And Exel/Somerfield have just,or about to close,2 Southern ones,meaning longer journey times.

As part of the new push for more women in LGV cabs, haulage firms have created a series of vacancies allocated specifically for women,

Have they■■? Where■■?

I’ve always been a bit of a tomboy; one for going out and getting dirty.

Not dressed like that your not.For a start,where’s your hi-viz and safety footwear? :laughing:

Ken.

(* Footnote.My missus is a 9-5 woman,earning £17k a year,which is probably more than the average class 2 driver,and she knows she’ll be home at night.)

:smiley: Ditto. Crap…crap…utter crap. Surreal nonsense. :laughing:

And the picture of the lorry driver with his face obscured… :open_mouth:

…What the ■■■■ is all that about? :stuck_out_tongue:

jacqueline:
And the picture of the lorry driver with his face obscured… :open_mouth:

…What the [zb] is all that about? :stuck_out_tongue:

Based on the bits you could see, did you really want to see his face? :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

And they obscure his face, but the lorry in the background has the company name clearly visible :laughing:

Maybe they borrowed the picture from a police mugshot, the blokes really a ■■■■■ and he’s nicked the wagon :laughing:

My other half met a female driver yesterday while out walking the dog. She was looking for the big Safeway depot (which is about 30 seconds drive from where they were and I’ve told him where it is in the past) but he tried to send her to the supermarket in town. rolls eyes And to top it all off, he didn’t tell her that the road went all the way round back on itself, so the poor girl ended up having to do a tricky reverse. I have pointed out the error of his ways.

Anyway the point of the story was that I was miffed it wasn’t me walking the dog that morning because I’ve never met another girlie driver outside of Trucknet. Would’ve been nice.

As for the article, its not attracting girls into the industry thats the problem. Its attracting anyone.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha . that is hysterical laughter… flexible hours… since when■■?
easy to get a job, i think not unless its trunking or for a supermarket :rol
as for the rest well what can i say but blox :open_mouth:

Nessa:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha . that is hysterical laughter… flexible hours… since when■■?
easy to get a job, i think not unless its trunking or for a supermarket :rol
as for the rest well what can i say but blox :open_mouth:

So not entirely impressed with the article then. :question: :question: :laughing:

So not entirely impressed with the article then.

Whatever gave you that idea. :question:

ken.

If Dapper Scavenger wants to meet other lady drivers she should join Lady Truckers Club, we have a good crowd who keep in touch with one another when and where they can, have a look at our web site, www.ladytruckersclub.co.uk come and join us we are a grand lot of girls doing a variety of jobs in haulage.

Danneke