Are VOSA scumbags or what?

An owner driver frieind of mine parked up for the night at some sevices on the M25. During the night some toerag nicked one of the removeable wingtops off the unit. He phoned the dealer back at home base and ordered a new one, it would be there the next day.
Driving back the same day he was taken into the check point at Sawtry, his vehicle was inspected, diesel dipped and tacho charts checked, all was in order with the exception of the missing wing top.
He explained what had happened and even offered them the number of the parts supplier to confirm he had ordered a new one. They were not interested and simply issued a prohibition notice. He was told by the checkpoint staff that he only need attend the testing station with the tractor unit for a quick inspection and smoke test.
A couple of days later he attended the testing station having taken the day off work with the unit, new wing top fitted. He was then told they must also do a brake test and was forced into hiring their test trailer at at further cost of £25.00 for ten minutes!! Of course everything was fine and the prohibition was removed.
Have the staff at VOSA never heard of the word “discretion” ■■ This guy is dead straight, runs a tight ship and has his vehicle inspected and maintained regularly.
Why don’t they stop harrassing innocent hauliers and go after the real offenders that are actually doing the real harm to our industry? Red diesel users, no tax, O licence etc.
I think he was treated in an appalling way.

QUESTION FOR VOSA - WHAT WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO? HAVE THE VEHICLE RECOVERED■■?

Carl

From what you have said, I think that is over the top as well and as you may have noticed from my previous posts, I have usually agreed with VOSA.

I have been the victim of VOSA for the same thing. Years ago they would have used discretion, or issued an advisory notice, nowadays its all about issuing their quota of PG9’S. Disgraceful I say.

i didn’t think it was illegal to have the wing top missing if you have a trailer on
bob tail is a different story though

It is something VOSA can issue a prohibition notice over, but next time you see a non-uk registered low-ride or semi-low ride, just have a look whether they have them on!!

I have always removed them from my trucks which have had low-profile 5th wheels, as the tops can catch on the trailer very easily.

Its not a go at non-UK operators, but there should be one rule for all!

They did say that if it had a low coupled trailer then the trailer would have formed the wing top. If I was there I would like to have asked the VOSA operative what the correct way would have been to deal with this situation. Anyone want to try to answer that one??

a daft question from a reasonably newbie.

whats a wing top? :blush: :blush:

Giblsa:
a daft question from a reasonably newbie.

whats a wing top? :blush: :blush:

CLICKY

cheers denis

now i know! :laughing:

Speck:
An owner driver frieind of mine parked up for the night at some sevices on the M25. During the night some toerag nicked one of the removeable wingtops off the unit. He phoned the dealer back at home base and ordered a new one, it would be there the next day.
Driving back the same day he was taken into the check point at Sawtry, his vehicle was inspected, diesel dipped and tacho charts checked, all was in order with the exception of the missing wing top.
He explained what had happened and even offered them the number of the parts supplier to confirm he had ordered a new one. They were not interested and simply issued a prohibition notice. He was told by the checkpoint staff that he only need attend the testing station with the tractor unit for a quick inspection and smoke test.
A couple of days later he attended the testing station having taken the day off work with the unit, new wing top fitted. He was then told they must also do a brake test and was forced into hiring their test trailer at at further cost of £25.00 for ten minutes!! Of course everything was fine and the prohibition was removed.
Have the staff at VOSA never heard of the word “discretion” ■■ This guy is dead straight, runs a tight ship and has his vehicle inspected and maintained regularly.
Why don’t they stop harrassing innocent hauliers and go after the real offenders that are actually doing the real harm to our industry? Red diesel users, no tax, O licence etc.
I think he was treated in an appalling way.

QUESTION FOR VOSA - WHAT WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO? HAVE THE VEHICLE RECOVERED■■?

Carl

they…vosa…are no better than hoodies.

motorway vandals and scumbags.

Giblsa:
cheers denis

now i know! :laughing:

Hi Giblsa, Yes mate, now you know.

BUT… Why do we need removable wing-tops…■■ why not just have one-piece mudguards??

Removable wing-tops are usually needed so that we can fit THESE (Third pic from the top.)

The other reason was that back in the days of steel rear springs, a front-heavy trailer could sometimes cause the tractor unit tyres to rub through the mudguards.:grimacing:

That was especially true of the Italian trucks I drove, because even back in the 80s, we ran artics (legally on Italian domestic work) at 44t on five axles AND there was a 2t GVW loading tolerance. :open_mouth:

VOSA equals GESTAPO no difference power outside the law

bighands:

don’t think Vosa have executed quite as many people as the Gestapo

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:

bighands:

don’t think Vosa have executed quite as many people as the Gestapo

:wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you compare the blatent way they issue an unneeded prohibition at the drop of a hat to a bullet through the head by the Gestapo. I would say VOSA are way ahead. Same tactic different war.

biggusdickusgb:
i didn’t think it was illegal to have the wing top missing if you have a trailer on
bob tail is a different story though

Think ive got this right that if you remove the wing tops they still have to be with the vehicle

yer they are ■■■■ pots, vosa, well in my eyes they are, for the past 7 mths now, i get at least 1 pull per month,always get a clean bill of health "traffic light green"for condition and tachos,i was stopped 2 hrs after the truck had just passed its mot ■■? and was stopped in my other truck yesterday “tues” that truck just passed its mot last sat morning gone!!! yer i know its cos i have a ugly /criminal face!! whats all that about or better still how the hell do i make c omplaint anyone know the right channels to go down, totaly pea"d of with these mercant bankers now,its getting behond a joke

Don’t complain globby, they will just target you even more, I speak from experience!

:wink: speck

And from next year they can issue fixed penalty notices.

cruisin comet:
And from next year they can issue fixed penalty notices.

So it will be like France.
Drive for 11 hours, Pay Fine, Carry on driving.
That’s tacho regs French style.