What is the deal with wing tops?

I see this company in particular that has a mix of cloggy/uk regd motors and half of them don’t have the wing tops.

I thought I read some law saying you’re allowed to run without them if you have <100mm clearence between top of tyre and bottom of trailer. Is that true? This mob has standard run of the mill stuff, no low riders or anything so there’s the usual biggish gap between wheel and trailer. I had a look at the VOSA list of fixed penalties and all I could find was I think “Spray Suppression missing £30” or there abouts

Steve

Steve-o:
I see this company in particular that has a mix of cloggy/uk regd motors and half of them don’t have the wing tops.

I thought I read some law saying you’re allowed to run without them if you have <100mm clearence between top of tyre and bottom of trailer. Is that true? This mob has standard run of the mill stuff, no low riders or anything so there’s the usual biggish gap between wheel and trailer. I had a look at the VOSA list of fixed penalties and all I could find was I think “Spray Suppression missing £30” or there abouts

Steve

UK Registered vehicles have been in the club for a while now, the rest of the EU must conform by the 9th April 2011.

COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 2010/19/EU

It does help if you have driven one of those old Ivecos with the cellophane mudflap on a roll :laughing:

I think with any trailer on you can get away with it - who’s it gonna bother.

But, unit only, even the foreigners have to put them on

Waynedi do not fall for that you are way off the mark VOSA will knick you for it end of, your only chance is if your carrying the the wing tops with you, heres my old one pictured below with no wing tops which I got a delayed PG9 for & nearly ended up in the cells over :imp:

Can you see the spare wing tops tied onto the drive axle mud-wings installed after said PG9? Be warned do not call VOSA staff failed mechanics or things that rhyme with HUNT they call The Plod :laughing: . Wheel Nut I do remember those wing-tops on a roll WTF where they all about :question: :smiley:

I remember those too, had them on a motor once, not an Ifitgoes though, sure it was a Merc, they had a coathanger type contraption that swung up to give clearance over the tyre when they were unrolled, I unrolled them once, like you do with any new thing you get, poxy things had to be manually rolled back as the dirt had got into the spring loaded gubbins :unamused:

we dont run with them on when we have our trailers on, although we have had them nicked by vosa, i think he driver had to fit them to be allowed to carry on, even though they get ripped to bits if we leave them on, although i have seen plenty of foreigners running without them even solo