Are There Many Jobs Out There

After being employed for many years with the same employer I find I am on the verge of perhaps leaving the business. I have held a HGV licence for almost 25 years & am tinkering on leaving my current employer & take up HGV 1 work. I note that many agencies advertise this time of year but what are the short & long term prospects of finding regular work with the same employer ?

JQ

I have just signed up with an agency for part time work. I was speaking to another driver for the same agency and he has been working 5-6 days per week in the same place since April. I think it all depends where you are in the country! There are also some new rules regarding agencies coming into force soon which could make things interesting.

Shed loads of class one work in Lincolnshire
Where are you?

The same down my way, which isn’t the “transport centre of the universe”. I’m in full-time employment in another industry (for 10 years), but still keep my hand in (I did 16 years on distance work). I’ve been offered 5 full-time jobs this year, but financially I’m better off where I am, so turned them down. Decent work too, not fly-by-nights. Keep looking and banging on doors.

Regards,

Mark.

Seems to be plenty of jobs for poor wages, distinct lack of good paying jobs though. As I always say, I can work anywhere for nothing

OVLOV JAY:
Seems to be plenty of jobs for poor wages, distinct lack of good paying jobs though. As I always say, I can work anywhere for nothing

This ^.

Plenty of £5.50 /hr artic work about but decent paying jobs are very few and far between. Hauliers keep going pop on a weekly basis which is just adding to the list on the dole so employers can get away with the abysmal rates on offer as they are far more drivers than work at the moment.

ladder49:
Where are you?

I am based in Manchester & prepared to travel around the NW area.

jonnyquango:

ladder49:
Where are you?

Are you Class 1?

Any experience on containers?

I know Turners are after a driver out of Containerbase, some nights out.

Roadways are advertising too.

Circle express were after someone, but it was through a subby.

I’ve not really been out of work, although spent quite a bit of time on agency between jobs, and I’m Manchester based.

jonnyquango:

ladder49:
Where are you?

I’ve just had a letter from ‘Topgear Recruitment’ offering work at Wincanton sites aroung the North West. 40 hours a week minimum contracts available, uniform, CPC training etc…sites are;
Heinz, Wigan/Trafford Park. Co-op ,St. Helens. Comet/Matalan in Skem. Argos at Heywood.

I’ve worked for them before and had no problems with them, just as good as any other agency but the contract seems reassuring.

brookie:
I’ve been offered 5 full-time jobs this year, but financially I’m better off where I am, so turned them down. Decent work too, not fly-by-nights

I thought they were a good outfit? nice tackle, good wages and concert work all over europe? :wink: :wink:

jonnyquango:
After being employed for many years with the same employer I find I am on the verge of perhaps leaving the business. I have held a HGV licence for almost 25 years & am tinkering on leaving my current employer & take up HGV 1 work. I note that many agencies advertise this time of year but what are the short & long term prospects of finding regular work with the same employer ?

JQ

you not employed in irlam then :wink:

nick172sport:

jonnyquango:

JQ

you not employed in irlam then :wink:

No, I’m not employed in the Irlam are. :smiley:

wouldnt bother looking on job centre site in a 75 mile radius from home nothing but agencies for the last week :angry:

i would stick at proper job and do agency at W/E
so you get the true idea of whats on offer
it will be dead in January

Plenty jobs in Glasgow, agency and fultime. Trying to get Glaswegians off the sick to do a days work is the main problem. :grimacing:

pavaroti:
Plenty jobs in Glasgow, agency and fultime. Trying to get Glaswegians off the sick to do a days work is the main problem. :grimacing:

So where are these plentiful FULL TIME jobs in Glasgow then?

OK you have a full time “ok” job but want to see if the grass is greener. DON’T ,they promise work/they promise everything but deliver little.
In my humble opinion why give up a steady job/wage with a “decent” company for an agency job which you may or may not get a full weeks wage.Also as an “agency” driver you will be treated by “us professional drivers” as a second class citizen cos your “agency” and also get blamed for all damage to trucks.
You will also get the bad run and the shabbyists vehicle going. no oil in it or water and tank will be empty but who betide if you leave it empty for the day driver, a cardinal sin is that.
To cap it all.
You will be treated and talked to like ■■■■
You will be blamed for all damage
you are incompetent (although you have driven more/different types of vehicle than the “firms drivers”.
You are a lazy git cos you ain’t got a “proper” job
You are not in the “CLIQUE” of drivers either full time or regular agency driver’s’

In my really honest opinion stay where you are and ride the storm out.
A boring job is better than the alternative’s out there

gezt:
OK you have a full time “ok” job but want to see if the grass is greener. DON’T ,they promise work/they promise everything but deliver little.
In my humble opinion why give up a steady job/wage with a “decent” company for an agency job which you may or may not get a full weeks wage.Also as an “agency” driver you will be treated by “us professional drivers” as a second class citizen cos your “agency” and also get blamed for all damage to trucks.
You will also get the bad run and the shabbyists vehicle going. no oil in it or water and tank will be empty but who betide if you leave it empty for the day driver, a cardinal sin is that.
To cap it all.
You will be treated and talked to like [zb]
You will be blamed for all damage
you are incompetent (although you have driven more/different types of vehicle than the “firms drivers”.
You are a lazy git cos you ain’t got a “proper” job
You are not in the “CLIQUE” of drivers either full time or regular agency driver’s’

In my really honest opinion stay where you are and ride the storm out.
A boring job is better than the alternative’s out there

That kind of sums it up really.

pete-b:

pavaroti:

Surprise, surprise, on the job centre website. :unamused: Yes its true you dont have to look to hard. In the last few weeks within a 15 mile radius of my house there has been plenty.

Two that stand out as decent are john russel advertising for container drivers at Coatbridge and gist for there yard in Bellshill. For the desperate theres been plenty of others whose basic pay is less than £8ph. Also the jobs paying £9ph+ are about if you look hard enough.

The whisky trades booming in scotchland so expect to see carntyne transport and mcphersons advertising again soon. :wink:

pavaroti:

pete-b:

pavaroti:

Surprise, surprise, on the job centre website. :unamused: Yes its true you dont have to look to hard. In the last few weeks within a 15 mile radius of my house there has been plenty.

Two that stand out as decent are john russel advertising for container drivers at Coatbridge and gist for there yard in Bellshill. For the desperate theres been plenty of others whose basic pay is less than £8ph. Also the jobs paying £9ph+ are about if you look hard enough.

The whisky trades booming in scotchland so expect to see carntyne transport and mcphersons advertising again soon. :wink:

Ah, that would be the TEMPORARY AGENCY jobs at Gist and Russell’s?