Apprehensive

So as not to high jack darkseekers post thought id just write this

Went to agency thurs last week and to my surprise knew the girl in there, explained that was looking for cat c work and that it would be ad hoc perfect she says just what we are looking for expierence (or lack of :exclamation: ) not a problem :smiley:

After filling in an army of forms actually asked me if could do anything on Fri unfortunatly was other wise engaged but says mon fine so after doing a quick tach test filling out analogue tach for them (she even told me where to put info :laughing: :laughing: ) I walked out with high viz jacket and apair of steel toe capped boots sounds promising .

After the initial excitement of im finally going to drive a truck on my own the worries set in god what if i cant work digi tach cant find my way around (stupid things to worry about as going to be in charge of a bloody big piece of potencial lethal machinary :exclamation: :exclamation: )

So today went out and bought the Haynes truckers handbook as so many refer to this on here step by step guides to what to input on digi tacho how to load veh even when to flash my lights or not :exclamation: :exclamation:

Well just to say feel a lot better now coz if noone around the things ihave worries about are in the book Im sure i will get the problem thats not in there but is a crutch for things i can do somat about so just waiting for next week feel a bit better now and excitement has returned im just gonna do everything at my pace and get the job done hopefully with no major incidents so heres to next week i hope with some truck related work :wink:

Jx

Good luck Jennie. Pleased your getting where you want to go. Passed my theory and hazard perception last Monday. Starting my Class C driving course next week with test on Friday. Here’s hoping!!! :slight_smile:

Tigger1

Good luck Tigger

let us know how you get on will keep fingers crossed Fri for you

Jx

good luck jennie,hope you have a great day :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: cheers,carl

good luck jennie you deserve it, glad you’ve finally got that break :slight_smile:

Harlow_wannabe:
good luck jennie you deserve it, glad you’ve finally got that break :slight_smile:

Well I hope so had so many false starts hopes up etc just banking on the fact that i know the girl and she has said can give me work she was really enthusiastic so fingers crossed anyway got a pair of steeled toe boots and a high viz :stuck_out_tongue: even if no work can use em :unamused:
Jx

Apprehensive not Apprehencive.

Deathstar:

red cross on my spellings then :blush:

Will try harder

:laughing:
jx

Deathstar:

Hi Deathstar,
Whilst you probably meant well by offering a correction, did you know that some time ago there was a lengthy debate on the forums about spelling and grammar?

The outcome of the debate was that, provided something is understandable, it stays and doesn’t get criticised.
The other decision taken was that text-speak is discouraged.

People have quite widely varying abilities with the English language and there are a multitude of possible reasons for this, including some forms of disability.
Posts DO NOT have to meet a certain standard of spelling or grammar, otherwise posters might be discouraged from asking questions and offering opinions, all of which are perfectly valid even if their spelling isn’t as good as the other posters. If something isn’t quite understandable to somebody, they can always ask a polite question.

:bulb: Just imagine how you might feel about posting if you thought that somebody might pounce on your posts with a correction.

It takes little effort to click on the spellcheck button if using the Google toolbar.Criticise this,if I was a sensitive soul ,I wouldn’t be contributing to Internet forums.Trucket may only require a low standard of grammar and spelling but there is nothing to stop me appreciating a greater one.At the risk of getting further up peoples noses,my pet hate is the incorrect spelling of “etc”,it is not “ect”,the abbreviation of the phrase Et cetera is “etc”.

Deathstar:
It takes little effort to click on the spellcheck button if using the Google toolbar.

HI Deathstar,
Agreed, but folks are also free to not click that button if they wish. It’s THEIR choice.

Deathstar:
Trucket may only require a low standard of grammar and spelling but there is nothing to stop me appreciating a greater one.

Agreed Deathstar, but why not start that discussion in the feedback forum and avoid hijacking this completely unrelated topic?
If you do that though, it may well be pointed out to you that it was done to death some time ago, and I’d add that the poster who started it got flamed when their own weaknesses were pointed out, but please feel free…

Deathstar:
At the risk of getting further up peoples noses,my pet hate is the incorrect spelling of “etc”,it is not “ect”,the abbreviation of the phrase Et cetera is “etc”.

My pet hate is people who can’t seem to correctly put a space between a comma and the next word, rather than between the previous word and the comma. Although it’s my pet hate, what you wrote is understandable, so I wouldn’t normally have mentioned it. :wink:

Whilst you’re mentioning stuff like that, have you studied the rules for the use of punctuation within quote marks yet?
Again, I wouldn’t have mentioned it because it was understandable, but since you seek a higher standard…

BTW, Trucknet doesn’t require any particular standard of spelling or grammar.
Problems may arise for folks who try to use their own standard as a benchmark for everybody else, because they might leave the door open for others to come along and correct them in their turn. (That could happen to anybody, if you know what I mean. :wink: )
Sometimes, it doesn’t take very long before the opportunity comes along. :grimacing:
:bulb: I noticed your spelling of “Trucknet” but I understood what you meant, so it doesn’t need pointing out. :wink:

As I said, people have quite widely varying abilities with the English language (both spelling and grammar) and there are a multitude of possible reasons for this. Given that we’re drivers and not professors of English, then please let’s live and let live eh? :smiley:

Nice one Jennie!!!

Really happy for you. Determination is the key to getting where you want in life. I can vouch personally (from meeting you) that your enthusiasm and desire to achieve is first rate. I really hope it works out well for you.

Re; spelling and grammar. Who really cares at the end of the day if a typo or error is made here or there. To be honest with you I did not even notice. I was too interested in the content!

When I wrote a post here the first time I was told to use spell check “if I ever wanted to be taken seriously”

It put me off posting on here for a while, although I thought my contribution (regardless of spell checking or not) was more important.

Double D has a valid point. It’s the content rather than the spelling errors that should count.

Really pleased for you again

Glad for you Jennie that work is coming your way, come back & let us know how your getting on .Good Luck :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck jennie let us know how it goes :smiley: :smiley:

hgvlgvtraining:
Nice one Jennie!!!

Really happy for you. Determination is the key to getting where you want in life. I can vouch personally (from meeting you) that your enthusiasm and desire to achieve is first rate. I really hope it works out well for you.

Re; spelling and grammar. Who really cares at the end of the day if a typo or error is made here or there. To be honest with you I did not even notice. I was too interested in the content!

When I wrote a post here the first time I was told to use spell check “if I ever wanted to be taken seriously”

It put me off posting on here for a while, although I thought my contribution (regardless of spell checking or not) was more important.

Double D has a valid point. It’s the content rather than the spelling errors that should count.

Really pleased for you again

I know how you feel Jennie, I’m agency myself and I got a bit flustered about being let loose on a 7.5 tonner as my first assignment after passing my Class 2, never mind a full sized HGV! Just take your time, don’t hit anything and trust me - not only will you soon relax but you’ll actually find yourself enjoying it!

As for the spelling/grammar issue, I’ve said on other forums that IMHO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION is infinitely more important than the technical matter of the intricacies of the English language. I like to think that I write to a high standard, but know that I’m not perfect. (Waits to be pulled up about using a whole sentence in brackets, if there is such a rule). :wink:

This is after and all supposed to be a forum BY DRIVERS FOR DRIVERS, not a showcase for people showing off about their PhD in English! Then again, there might just be a smart arse here who has such a qualification…

Deathstar:

Blimey, you must be a right bundle of laughs on a Friday night up the pub. Nevermind though, I see DD has pointed out how being a smug and pedantic muppet can return to bite you on the arse (or is that ■■■ ? :smiley: )

Anyway, good luck Jennie and I hope it all goes well. Most things you worry about before you start turn out to be not so bad after all…I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Jennie hope all goes well just remember to take your time if in doubt ask if you can or maybe someone you can call for advice if needs be

As has been said dont worry relax & enjoy just go back to all that training you did that is what you paid for

as for spelling well there maybe a reason for this as both my children are dyslexic but this is hereditary so how would you cope with that :question:

Good luck Jennie

Hope it all works out for you and dont worry about your spelling dear this a truck forum not the flamin Open UniverCity, talk about up your own end eh.

Let me know how things go, all the best

Matt :slight_smile:

joeyd:

Deathstar:

Blimey, you must be a right bundle of laughs on a Friday night up the pub. Nevermind though, I see DD has pointed out how being a smug and pedantic muppet can return to bite you on the arse (or is that ■■■ ? :smiley: )

Anyway, good luck Jennie and I hope it all goes well. Most things you worry about before you start turn out to be not so bad after all…I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Well if that all he has to worry about can I swoop :question: :question:

Deathstar:

Maybe a read of this

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=62196