Anyone in the glass trade or have glass know-how?

I’ve got two full wooden boxes of brand new sheet glass measuring 9550 x 3850 x 4mm (approx 3.5’ x 2.5’) with a total of about 300 sheets :open_mouth: . It’s what I would describe as a foggy ‘colour’ although I have been told ‘it sounds like it’s “Satinova” glass’ if that means anything :question: .

It’s very similar to the type of glass I have on the top of my metal-framed glass topped coffee table and the same ‘foggy’ colour so I’m wondering if that’s what it was made for :question: . All the edges have been prepared and are smooth all the way round.

I also have more 420x320x3(ish)mm bevelled glass (bevel starts an inch from all edges and is on both sides) than I can shake a stick at too. I’ve seen this kind in house door windows before but I suspect it’s probably been prepared to be turned into mirrors as the bevel is in the right place.

I shall be selling the lot (won’t split) but I need to know exactly what it is description wise and also what kind of money these would fetch, trade. If my own glass-buying experiences are anything to go by, it’s bloody expensive :open_mouth: :confused: :exclamation:

Can anyone help me pls :confused: .

Cheers.

Its amazing what you ‘stumble uppon’ These days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cant help you with anything to do with glass. Only thing i know is Where to fill mine up when its empty… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oh yeah, I’ve got my fingers in most money-making pies. I sold a pallet of quarry tiles for a grand cash last year which were just going to be skipped (couldn’t believe my luck!).

I regularly ‘collect’ decent white pallets from sites who just want shut of them and then sell them to the bloke at Hartshead Moor Services for £2 a piece. 6 stacks of 15 pallets is a nice little bonus… Often if you slip the forkie a twenty, he’ll happily load you with Chep’s and the same bloke pays £7 each for these if you haggle hard enough. Obviously the more you’ve got the more discount the pallet bloke wants but for £20 in the forkies pocket it’s well worth it. Favours for favours remember :smiley: .

Working for a company that doesn’t bother you as long as you get your drops off and also doesn’t have trackers on the vehicles or trailers is a huge advantage. Having a wagon as a tool opens many many doors, even if it isn’t yours :smiley: .

I dunno, maybe I’m just too much of a rebel :smiling_imp: , but being Yorkshire born and bred we NEVER turn down an opportunity to make some easy money, ain’t that right Ken, Bob, Rep, Bones :laughing:

Cheers.

So this guy buys Cheps then?? mmm interesting that. :slight_smile: might have to pay him a visit sometime if i happen to ‘find’ some extra’s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

rob it wont be much use to any one if it fell off the back of a lorry will it… :wink:

ohterry555:
rob it wont be much use to any one if it fell off the back of a lorry will it… :wink:

Tezbo, it’s not seen my lorry yet. It’s sitting in a nice and secure location awaiting a buyer and I have a few plans up my sleeve for a quick sale but I need a price for it first so that I don’t get taken for a ride …even though it’s cost me nowt anyway :laughing: . Got to secure maximum profit :smiley: .

Bones, re the Cheps it’s not quite that simple. You need to watch your back very carefully and have a very good relationship with the forkie. Even though he’s £20 up, if he’s got his head screwed on right he’ll know you’re going to make a mint off them so could well blow the whistle on you, especially if the yard is covered by CCTV. If you get caught selling Cheps you’re in big zebidee. Chep are really keen on it now. Also, I’ve used the guy at Hartshead Moor as an example, although I had offloaded large amounts of good whites there in the past. When I was saying about the prices they pay for Chep’s, this wasn’t Hartshead Moor and was a very large truck-specific MSA elsewhere that paid £7 for Chep’s.

Additionally, it’s best to ‘move’ Chep’s about when it’s dark and we’re getting back to that time of year when this is possible. You’d be amazed at how quick fellow truckers are at picking up their phones and making a call that ‘a driver is selling Chep’s at blah MSA’, so whatever you do, operate in stealth and cover your back at all times else some zebidee will waste no time is driving a knife home in it :angry: . Cover your tracks well!.

Now then, about these 'ere glass prices… :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Bones:
So this guy buys Cheps then?? mmm interesting that. :slight_smile: might have to pay him a visit sometime if i happen to ‘find’ some extra’s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Of course i meant to give me directions to the nearest chep yard! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bones:

Bones:

Of course i meant to give me directions to the nearest chep yard! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Whoa lad :exclamation: Can’t be posting those kind of dodgy details on here :open_mouth: . I think you should stick to good quality whites and euros until you become a hardened pallet-man like myself :laughing: . Be advised that the vast majority of places won’t touch Chep’s because they’ve nowhere to hide them :exclamation: :laughing:

I paid my pallet mates a visit today to see what the latest prices are for euros. Tingley pay £1 for mucky euros and £2 for clean ones and Liam at Hartshead Moor pays the same. However, Ray at Birstall (next to Highways) pays 50p more on both. Made myself £55 today from a polite word to the forkie at a place I was delivering. I spied 32 euros in the corner of the yard and asked if he’d put them on for me which we did no probs. Some mucky some clean but £55 can’t be grumbled at for doing nowt :slight_smile: .

On the subject of the glass, I paid Solaglas a visit today to get a rough idea of price. Told the geezer exactly what it was, shape, size, colour etc and he said that it’s very expensive glass and worth a mint. To buy ONE SHEET at trade price you’d have to shell out around £35-40 :open_mouth: :exclamation: and I’ve got approx 400 sheets of it :open_mouth: .

I pulled out the yellow pages when I got home earlier and made some phone calls to some local glass wholesalers and although none knew of anyone at the time, they’re gonna phone some contacts and see for me.

Cheers.

Bones:

Bones:

Nearest Chep yard is in Pontefract, Bones. Come off at J32 from Leeds, turn right under the motorway and they’re about 400 yards up on the left hand side :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: .

Cheers.

oh yeah i remember, i live near it!! :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No seriously its good to know as i have seen these pallet places before and would have just gone in with cheps not knowing you cant sell them and landed myself in the do-do :open_mouth: :open_mouth: so thanks Rob, Think i will leave the pallet Trading to the pro’s :smiley: :smiley:

Bones:
No seriously its good to know as i have seen these pallet places before and would have just gone in with cheps not knowing you cant sell them and landed myself in the do-do :open_mouth: :open_mouth: so thanks Rob, Think i will leave the pallet Trading to the pro’s :smiley: :smiley:

Well, thanks. If you see any euro pallets anywhere (they’ve got EUR stamped on all sides of them) send me a PM and let me know will ya :exclamation: :slight_smile: :smiley: