Anyone deliver to Farms ? Milk, Grain etc

I’m considering a job that involves collecting from farms, i imagine more than most will be in remote or non urban areas, i just wondered how you get around access issues etc…i can imagine in bad weather some are no go areas - but milk still needs collecting, grain etc delivering, any other pros & cons of this type of work, anyone done milk tanker work too ?

Farm work isn’t for the faint hearted really, most farms were built in the day of the horse and cart and so you’ll find many of them very tight indeed in a modern truck. Farmers can be a funny bunch too. Addresses as often as not are vague (often just something like “Manor Farm, Somevillage” and nothing more).

On the plus side, you get to see some wonderful scenery and a lot of places you wouldn’t otherwise go, and it’s certainly a lot more interesting than trudging up and down motorways all day long.

Personally I enjoy farm work, but I can imgine that it’s not for everyone.

Paul

I’ve done grain work, it wasn’t for me but take a look anyway.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30310

Tiger.

I was on grain last harvest round about fife and tayside. Farms definately will test your skills as like repton’s stated, some of the places are for horse and cart and the units haven’t got any smaller in recent years. All i can say is if your unsure, jump out and have a walk into the steading and ask farmer before commiting yourself. I enjoyed it and there was plenty hours during the harvest, i was out 5 nights a week and only parked up 20 miles from home most of the week but my boss liked his pound of flesh and on the limiter everywhere ;~)

I used to do a lot of grain collection work from farms and enjoyed it - the downside was as Repton says the yards can be tight. Common sense prevails - get out and have a look before entering or if unsure, ask someone to check when backing up etc. The scenery is wonderful on some farm jobs but the work can be very muddy. One place I worked every year we did harvest work collecting direct from the combine - it meant sitting in the field for a couple of hours in the sunshine.

Give it a go.

I noticed that there is a vacancy on the jobs bit here for milk tanker drivers at Stourton 4 on 4 off.

i done a bit on the grain last year and although some farmers were a bit sour most of them are a good sort not slow at inviting you in for a feed or a brew etc, did a bit collecting milk too but it freaked me out going into places at 2 or 3 in the morning in middle of nowhere pitch black and all quiet except for odd cow let out a roar :open_mouth: or rats running over your feet, not for the fainthearted. :laughing:

Yes im interested in the Milk job at Stourton hence the posting of the thread, anyone done milk tanker work then ?

tobytyke:
I’m considering a job that involves collecting from farms, i imagine more than most will be in remote or non urban areas,

nothing much gets past you, eh Tobytyke :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i just wondered how you get around access issues etc…

GOAL works for me , and knowing the farms or asking someone ( maybe even ask the farmer ) , just treat carefully anyone who tells you “they’ve had bigger than that in here” :wink:

Do farms all year round. Love it would hate to be a town driver now! LOL Some farms are antiquated to say the least and can be tight, but many are major size with full time staff. As has been said if in doubt get out have a look. Trouble with milk is where it comes from, those beasts aint too fussed where they errr crap. Some yards are disgusting, get one inch in the cab and it will stink all day. Once youve been to one mark it on your map for future referance. If it had a odd way in down some track to avoid something mark it too. Dont always trust the farmers directions when he says weve had artics in here mate. He probably means 20 years ago! Best ones are down single track lanes when you meet another truck, great fun! LOL

Denis F:
just treat carefully anyone who tells you “they’ve had bigger than that in here” :wink:

I know that well.

“The milk tanker is an artic and he gets in and out fine every day.”

Of course he doesn’t mention that the milk tanker only has a 25 foot long trailer with steering rear axle when yours is a 45 footer with fixed axles that’s 14’ tall and likely to catch on all the overhanging guttering.

Paul

I did a stint last year delivering winter wheat. All above are true. I found using streetmap.co.uk was a great help as it has a lot of the old estabilished farms marked on it. My biggest problem was some of the larger estates can be spread over several miles. I often found the delivery address on my paperwork was several miles from where it was actually required. Always ring first.

tobytyke:
Yes im interested in the Milk job at Stourton hence the posting of the thread, anyone done milk tanker work then ?

Well,I haven’t done this type of work yet,but I hope to,very soon ! I had an interview with the company doing the initial interviewing on thursday… I’m leaning more to the artic bulk collection job. Overall,it sounds like a good job. The money’s not bad either!
Will hopefully be chosen for interview / traning at Leeds next week. Will let you know…

Have you had an interview yet,Tobytyke ■■

Rewmer:
I did a stint last year delivering winter wheat. All above are true. I found using streetmap.co.uk was a great help as it has a lot of the old estabilished farms marked on it. My biggest problem was some of the larger estates can be spread over several miles. I often found the delivery address on my paperwork was several miles from where it was actually required. Always ring first.

Many of the internet maps sites are very useful on farm work. If you have prior knowledge of where your going use it on the web map sites, aerial pics are wonderful!
Like the above many large estates have many farms the address you may have could be office add for all paperwork etc. Not the actual collection/drop point.

I did milk collection a couple of years ago on agency for First Milk, finding the farms wasn’t a problem as route training was given. I spent four days with an experienced driver learning the farms on a particular round. there’s also the working the pumps and sampling milk at each farm. You may have to climb up short vertical ladders on some farm tanks.

Vehicles in this case were a selection of older DAF’s or brand new Scanias. Most had all the locking diffs, lift axles etc you could possibly want to help you if you got stuck. I was told reliable collection was more important than doing the round fast.

Rounds can either be lots of farms with small amounts of milk or few farms with a lot of milk.

We used tacho’s but on Domestic rules rather than EU.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Steveo.

Denis F:

tobytyke:
I’m considering a job that involves collecting from farms, i imagine more than most will be in remote or non urban areas,

nothing much gets past you, eh Tobytyke :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i just wondered how you get around access issues etc…

GOAL works for me , and knowing the farms or asking someone ( maybe even ask the farmer ) , just treat carefully anyone who tells you “they’ve had bigger than that in here” :wink:

Sorry i wasn’t clear enough DENIS - i was more thinking what the [zb] to do when its 3 feet in snow and the office are sending me out on mission impossible.

missed the auto censor dodge earlier :wink: …Denis F

tobytyke:
[

Sorry i wasn’t clear enough DENIS - i was more thinking what the F*** to do when its 3 feet in snow and the office are sending me out on mission impossible.

use the snow curtains :wink:

Thanks everyone!

I deliver bulk (and sometimes bagged) feed out of Carmarthen. Been there three years, best job I’ve ever had.

I’d agree with all the above; the one thing you’ll never get is bored! If you’re on the milk you may well get some odd shift patterns, and don’t forget you’ll be working weekends and Bank Holidays more than likely; and that includes Christmas Day!

Couple of other things to add to the general advice; ALWAYS leave a gate as you found it, nothing pees a farmer off more than drivers who leave a gate open especially in lambing season. Also remember that almost every farm has at least one dog kicking arounds somewhere; most of them are fine but it’s not a bad idea to keep a couple of those chewstick things in the cab in case one of them gets a bit territorial.

As for maps; stick the satnav where the sun don’t shine, it’ll be useless on this job. I use Ordnance Survey maps, alternatively the Phillips “county” type maps with the blue covers aren’t bad.

One last thing; you’ll become very good at reversing!

i’d agree with everything Gnasty Gnome said

I do the same sort of work delivering feed with a blower trailer. If theres a phone number call the farmer if you’re not 100% sure. Its a real pain reversing 3 or 4 mile down a lane with thick hedges if youve taken a wrong turning.

If a freindly farm dog brings you a stick / stone / ball etc DO NOT pick it up and throw it the poor thing will never leave you alone.

NEVER refuse a brew you won’t get asked the next time you’re there.

If in doubt get out and have a look dont be afraid of doing numerous shunts to get into position

Fit as many mirrors to the cab as you can but youll still hit a piece of wayward machinery in the inch wide blindspot. Farmers seem to put machinery / scrap metal in the most awkward places.

lastly and most important … DONT PANIC

ps gnasty gnome … i found the 3 farms in your area ok the other week. were you in your yard at about 830 this morning i went past on the dual carraigeway heading for HFW and saw someone checking over a 8 wheeler.

toowise:
ps gnasty gnome … i found the 3 farms in your area ok the other week. were you in your yard at about 830 this morning i went past on the dual carraigeway heading for HFW and saw someone checking over a 8 wheeler.

Wasn’t me mate; I was driving the sleeper-cabbed FM12 which you probably passed heading t’other way somewhere round Port Talbot/Pyle area! Easy to recognise me BTW I’m the only one of our drivers with a beard!