Any Instructors here, please look in

Hi, just one question. On the reverse park “C” (just to confirm) if I mess my position up while approaching the box is it OK to stop pull forward, straighten up and resume the reversing exercises?

Ive had a MEGA ■■■■ day today with reversing, one minute I can, then at the drop of a hat its all gone ■■■■■ up. I’m getting very annoyed with myself :imp:

Thanks

Dusty321:
Hi, just one question. On the reverse park “C” (just to confirm) if I mess my position up while approaching the box is it OK to stop pull forward, straighten up and resume the reversing exercises?

You can have 2 forward shunts and will get one minor only whether you do one or two of them :smiley: :smiley:

Ah bugger, 1 minor… :cry:

Still, its nice to know I have a get out should things go ■■■■■■■ up… then all I have to worry about is mirrors, speed on approach, gears… etc etc etc

Thanks Rog!!!

Dusty321:
Ah bugger, 1 minor… :cry:

Still, its nice to know I have a get out should things go ■■■■■■■ up… then all I have to worry about is mirrors, speed on approach, gears… etc etc etc

Thanks Rog!!!

You are welcome BUT I’m a little surprised that your instructor did not tell you this :unamused:

Some examiners will fail you if you do not use the shunt correctly.

If you just get clear of the STICK and take a shunt to early some may fail you for that.

They may not fail you for the reverse itself but for poor observation during the reverse.

I think that saying that 2 shunts are ok can be misleading ( depending on examiner )

You may do the reverse in one but fail to stop in the hatched area… no minor faults just a serious…

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

IN WHAT WAY :question: :question:

If you just get clear of the STICK and take a shunt to early some may fail you for that.

FOR WHAT REASON :question: :question:

They may not fail you for the reverse itself but for poor observation during the reverse.

WHICH IS USUALLY FOR NOT LOOKING IN THE N/S MIRROR ENOUGH

I think that saying that 2 shunts are ok can be misleading ( depending on examiner )

IT’S IN THE RULES AND IS OK

You may do the reverse in one but fail to stop in the hatched area… no minor faults just a serious…

BUT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GET OUT AND LOOK - ONCE, WITHOUT PENALTY - AND THEN TO REVERSE A BIT MORE TO CORRECT IT.

ROG:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

IN WHAT WAY :question: :question:

Because the shunt has to be used to make progression with the exercise i.e. if nothing is gained, or the situation is made worse, then no progression has been made.

FOR WHAT REASON :question: :question:

Only if it was for the same reason above i.e. lack of progression etc.

WHICH IS USUALLY FOR NOT LOOKING IN THE N/S MIRROR ENOUGH

‘Poor observation’■■ News to me. If a candidate were to complete the exercise without fault he isn’t going to fail for not turning his head enough. If he can complete the exercise with minimal glimpses in his mirrors but is all otherwise perfect, he isn’t going to fail.

IT’S IN THE RULES AND IS OK

Only misleading if the student doesn’t fully understand why the shunt is available, i.e. progression again.

BUT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GET OUT AND LOOK - ONCE, WITHOUT PENALTY - AND THEN TO REVERSE A BIT MORE TO CORRECT IT.

Fail to stop in the hatched area?? Only a problem if you overrun and knock over the barrier. Otherwise, as ROG said, you can stop short of the hatched area, GOAL, and then complete the exercise.

You have to be careful here. " shunts can mean two minors - as 26 says it depends on the examiner or that particular test centre.
But dont woory to much. On test there will be plenty of space so you should be fine.
You get one and a half times the width of the vehicle to start off with so make sure you are well to the left so you have plenty of room to move and then you have twice the length of the vehicle to cone B so again plenty of room to get past it.
Good luck

The swear word filter is going la la here!! Don’t use the word shunt!

Doh!! S h u n t - must be because of the U N T in it!! :laughing: :laughing:

:blush: Sorry, a bit off topic.

marcustandy wrote:-

‘Poor observation’■■ News to me. If a candidate were to complete the exercise without fault he isn’t going to fail for not turning his head enough. If he can complete the exercise with minimal glimpses in his mirrors but is all otherwise perfect, he isn’t going to fail.

Oh yes he certainly is !! Or maybe you think it would be ok to do the reverse blindfolded in that case!

[zb]
Mart:
Or maybe you think it would be ok to do the reverse blindfolded in that case!

Not blindfolded, but using mirrors!!

[zb]
Mart:
Oh yes he certainly is !!

Not if I’m testing him, he ain’t.

Not if I’m testing him, he ain’t

Well if you are a DSA examiner I would love you to test my trainees!

Some examiners can be little Hitlers with a HUGE chip on their shoulders. I know, the guy I had for my D was a little ■■■■, made me feel like I had failed before Id taken the test :imp: telling me things like “Well you got that question wrong, how many more do you want to answer incorrectly” in my opinion that’s bang out of order, but for that hour I suppose he knows he’s god and holds your future as a driver in his hands!

Smart Mart:

I agree you can test my learners anyday. ( If your an examiner )…

Smart Mart wrote:
Quote:

Why?? Why wish for a slack examiner.

I dont like to think that any examiner would let a poor driver slip through. I would rather the examiners where strict and only let the good drivers through. There are enough accidents on the road without adding more bad drivers.
The test isnt just about numbers and feathers in instructors caps. Its about road safety.

(Sorry Guys - Grumpy old git half hour - but I stand by my statement.)

Personally I don’t put poor drivers up for test Mothertrucker, I expect all my trainees to pass.

The point 26 and I are making is that the standard of mirrors whilst reversing thought of by marcustandy is not what we understand DSA examiners have.

It took me a while to remember to bring home the relevant examiner guidance notes but better late than never. :blush:

Mothertrucker:

I hope that wasn’t a dig at me!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :wink:

Mothertrucker:
I dont like to think that any examiner would let a poor driver slip through. I would rather the examiners where strict and only let the good drivers through. There are enough accidents on the road without adding more bad drivers.
The test isnt just about numbers and feathers in instructors caps. Its about road safety.

I agree. My last stats (of failed candidates) were second only to the Senior Examiner and my last Check Test came back with a favorable report. I have a clear conscience that no bad drivers (on the day) got through.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

Smart Mart:

Ok, here’s some text taken from the Vocational Licensing Information & Testing Procedures (examiners guidance notes).

• The examiner should observe the candidate from outside of the vehicle, moving from one vantage point to another, ensuring that the candidate is under control and taking correct observation in both mirrors.

The key words, relevant to my previous comment of not failing a candidate for looking in the mirrors only, are taking correct observation in both mirrors.

If you send a candidate for test who is capable of completing the exercise without fault, and who only looks in his mirrors or takes correct observation in both mirrors, how can I fail him for that??

The reality is that most candidates who are presented for test are no where near good/capable enough to use the mirrors only, however, the point is that it could happen.

marcustandy:
It took me a while to remember to bring home the relevant examiner guidance notes but better late than never. :blush:

Mothertrucker:

I hope that wasn’t a dig at me!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :wink: .

I must be a bit slow - I did not realise that we had another LGV examiner in our midst :blush: :blush:

Rog wrote:-

I must be a bit slow - I did not realise that we had another LGV examiner in our midst

I don’t know if we do Rog - he hasn’t actually said that he is - or if he is a delegated examiner or a past examiner?

I do not care what he said all examiners have their own interpretation of the test standards.

As we all know that is the problem.

As for slack learners getting through the test what a statement to make !!!

Instructors do not conduct the test the only people that let slack learners through are examiners as they sign the ticket.

Any learner can pass the test on any given day or they can fail.

But this does not mean they would pass the next day.

Just like an Mot on a Car .

My view is how can any examiner judge a learner based on a 1 hour drive ?

Rant over :smiling_imp: :angry: