another one bites the dust

londonderry to close the cafe from this friday.
some may say…thank the zb

Looks odd this 120 people looked at post no replys,are they just doing cafe up or what.

Isn’t the person who owns it the same one that owns Whitwood, Exelby etc?

I also believe that a new facility is being opened up nearby at some point.

Ken.

Alot of guy’s slag off the Londonderry but I quite liked the place and have been using it for years and I will be sorry to see it go.
My first night out in a sleeper was in the Derry more than 20 years ago and to be honest the decor was still the same when I stayed there on monday but it was always clean and the food was usually ok.

alfa man:
Alot of guy’s slag off the Londonderry but I quite liked the place and have been using it for years and I will be sorry to see it go.
My first night out in a sleeper was in the Derry more than 20 years ago and to be honest the decor was still the same when I stayed there on monday but it was always clean and the food was usually ok.

:cry: I also liked Londonderry,showers and toilets were a bit ■■■■ but the food was good and it seemed to bring back a time of days gone by with it’s location and decor…will be sadly missed by me. :cry:

Rough and ready springs to mind but better than dumping in a bag and having a babywipe shower in a lay-by on the a1 I suppose!!!

Will you still be able to get fuel there or is it all closing… :cry:

Will you still be able to get fuel there or is it all closing… :cry:

as everyone else has said it was bit shabby but the food was ok but I’ll miss the old place heres why

way back in 1978 the first time i went with my grandad in the school summer holidays, in his Bedford TK we stoppped there for breakfast on the way up to Gateshead with a load of cardboard, was the first time i ever encountered a proper drivers brekkie with fried bread and mushrooms.

I always liked the place. Food wasn’t bad and reasonably priced, quick service, friendly staff and long opening hours made it one of the better truckstops in the country. There is nowhere else decent to eat in that area, especially after about 8pm so it’s a shame its closing.

The interior was a bit dated but that’s the last thing I’m interested in.

daf95xf1:
londonderry to close the cafe from this friday.
some may say…thank the zb

Aways liked the place, foods ok, and quite, changeovers being done over the road by the garage. Don’t think theres anywhere else to park nearby?

I am a long time fan of this place always enjoyed the decent food and service.It had a genuine vibe so out of kilter with the sterile soul - dead dynamic that is par for the course these days with your modern dining experience. I wish everyone who ever worked there all the very best and who knows!..lets hope they can find a way of maybe keeping this magnificent building open in some capacity.God bless Londonderry you will be greatly mourned.

Quinny:
Isn’t the person who owns it the same one that owns Whitwood, Exelby etc?
Ken.

Yes, Ron Exelby founded the original garage. The workshops there are still busy, build dustcarts and hiabs, that sort of thing.