Another foreigner debate

the other day on anglia news there was a small piece on the number of foreign trucks on the road in the uk.
then it went on to mention that a few firms had had to lay off drivers and cut the number of trucks they own. one of these firms was brian palmer.
anyhow it went on to say that every time a british truck is taken off the road the government loses around £6000 in fuel duty alone.
it then went on to mention that these foreign drivers (some operating out of felixstowe) are only on £60 a week.
now personally i do dislike the idea of so many foreign trucks operating in the uk for a few reasons such as
1.they use cheap fuel
2.no road tax
3. the drivers earn peanuts(well to me they do)
4. the amount of accidents i see with lhd trucks, is nearly daily now (a14,a1)
5. vosa seem to leave them alone
6. there are not many uk trucks working in europe (not a level playing field.)

then since all the new countries joined the eu we were expected to be invaded by thousands of foreign drivers.
the thing is have they come :question:
i dont think they have.

now i know this might sound daft but rather than have drivers working for £60 a week driving a foreign truck and british firms going bust ,then why dont the british firms poach all the low paid foreign drivers. we know who they are. :wink:

why not. :question: because how i see it is that if the british firms take on these low paid foriegn drivers and pay them a typical english wage then this would reduce the driver shortage and instead of wages getting better they will stay low because there will be no demand for drivers.

to me, whatever happens were stuffed either way :cry:

The reason we dont employ these foreign drivers is because we would still be no cheaper on our quotes.

The reason there are so many foreign vehicles on our roads is because the hypocritical companies that use them ie manufaturers,farmers, supermarkets etc etc say we should buy British even if it costs a little more whilst doing exactly the opposite when it comes to them buying in haulage! :smiling_imp: