Alaska to South America bike trip

Anyone interested in motorcycling from Anchorage to Buenos Aires,via Urshaia,and Tierra de Fueggo.19 week trip.20,000 miles.Max elevation and altidude will ne 15,750 ft or 4800 metres.Most miles in day 475,or 765 km.Days off the bike will be 42.

yes but the wife says no

garnerlives:
yes but the wife says no

is that because got no phone signal over there and no Heveys lol

It well could be mate :laughing: she’s adament i’d kill myself doing it, i thought she see that as a bonus and have my flight already booked but it seems not, must be love :open_mouth:

evening toby,
might well be interested, direct distance comes in at 8294.1 Miles.
how many detours for pubs have you allocated ?
post any further info - you may well get some takers

what bike would you suggest then, don’t think they’ll be many postings on tnuk with R1 in title?

May have to read “Ted Simons” book “Jupiters travels”.Lots of folks have gone around the world,took about 3 and half years to do it.Choice of bike;BMW gs,1200,850,or ATM,Yamaha Tenere,BUEL,Honda transalp.Factors to digest=Customs and carnet for the bike,some cases 800% of the value of the bike.Corrupt border officials,false charges for bribes etc.Breakdowns,spare tyres and tubes with gas cylinder pump to inflate punctures.Size of fuel tank,if crossing the dessert,range of fuel.Additional fuel filters.Baggage and equipment,to get a good centre of gravity.Medical and evac insurance,bit pricey too pay for 4 rows on a charter or scheduled flight to get an injured rider back to the UK,plus a nurse or doctor to fly with you,by the stretcher.Good shipping company,were you break the bike down to fit in a crate,the size of a pallet,to reduce volume charges,but billed for weight ratios,to get accross Atlantic,or back from Australia,or Far East etc.Sufficient funds to cover costs Far East £10 per day,Europe £35 per day.Canned fish or food,to reduce risk of intestinal worms in the guts.Someone back home to top up your bank account to travel,and fax you lost paperwork.Good Sat nav.Whether to camp or use pension/hostels/guest houses.Camp equipment will add weight,as sleeping bag,ground sheet,cooking equipment,etc,affects the center of gravity and fuel use.Secret place on the bike,to stash credit cards.A “Dummy wallet”,that contains a few quid for daily expenses,and if robbed,have back up hidden on the bike.All above trips are off road trails,in USA,on old Amtrak rail lines tracks,as this is adventure travel.Cost of visas and red tape,especially for Israel,Egypt,Sudan.Mali,etc.Delays at border crossings.

toby1234abc:
May have to read “Ted Simons” book “Jupiters travels”.Lots of folks have gone around the world,took about 3 and half years to do it.Choice of bike;BMW gs,1200,850,or ATM,Yamaha Tenere,BUEL,Honda transalp.Factors to digest=Customs and carnet for the bike,some cases 800% of the value of the bike.Corrupt border officials,false charges for bribes etc.Breakdowns,spare tyres and tubes with gas cylinder pump to inflate punctures.Size of fuel tank,if crossing the dessert,range of fuel.Additional fuel filters.Baggage and equipment,to get a good centre of gravity.Medical and evac insurance,bit pricey too pay for 4 rows on a charter or scheduled flight to get an injured rider back to the UK,plus a nurse or doctor to fly with you,by the stretcher.Good shipping company,were you break the bike down to fit in a crate,the size of a pallet,to reduce volume charges,but billed for weight ratios,to get accross Atlantic,or back from Australia,or Far East etc.Sufficient funds to cover costs Far East £10 per day,Europe £35 per day.Canned fish or food,to reduce risk of intestinal worms in the guts.Someone back home to top up your bank account to travel,and fax you lost paperwork.Good Sat nav.Whether to camp or use pension/hostels/guest houses.Camp equipment will add weight,as sleeping bag,ground sheet,cooking equipment,etc,affects the center of gravity and fuel use.Secret place on the bike,to stash credit cards.A “Dummy wallet”,that contains a few quid for daily expenses,and if robbed,have back up hidden on the bike.All above trips are off road trails,in USA,on old Amtrak rail lines tracks,as this is adventure travel.Cost of visas and red tape,especially for Israel,Egypt,Sudan.Mali,etc.Delays at border crossings.

You haven’t factored in the ashtray or the beer goggles ?

Hi Toby
I’ts something i’ve always fancied doing,well doing around the world or part of it.But its the wrong time at the moment for me and i dont thing i’d get to do it for at least 5yrs at present.thats when i finish paying the ex wife her child care fees for kicking me out.lol i guess thats too long for you to wait.
Good luck in finding someone though and let me know if you do decide to do it.

I had a good, beery night out in Anchorage in 1997 …it’s rough - but best o’ luck with the venture, matey.