Alarm bells rang when

… asked to transport this.

As I have no ADR training could I be in lots of trouble?

dar1976:
… asked to transport this.

As I have no ADR training could I be in lots of trouble?

Hi dar1976,

If the labels and stickers I can see in your pic were all that were on that drum, then you very probably had nothing to fear, because the ‘stuff’ doesn’t look like it counts as dangerous.

The warning signs in orange squares indicate hazardous goods and are usually for the end-user to worry about. (Check the orange square on a bleach bottle.)

If the ‘stuff’ inside the drum actually counts as dangerous goods, then the label(s) would be diamond shaped. Mind you, if that’s the case then you’re still allowed to carry certain amounts of goods that count as dangerous even if you don’t hold an ADR licence.
If a substance counts as dangerous, it could have both orange squares AND a diamond.

There’s quite a difference between hazardous goods and dangerous goods, and people sometimes get those two words mixed up, which doesn’t help.

Now this stuff (methanol) has both types of labels, and is definitely dangerous goods:

If it were methanol that you had been asked to transport, you would be allowed to carry up to and including 333 liters of it in packages without needing an ADR licence.

Years ago before I even had heard of ADR I was sent to collect a ‘radioactive’ parcel from a company. The words were scary but I saw them preparing the load. It was a small container, smaller than 150ml can of coke and that was wrapped in all sorts of led protection and coverings and the labels and strapped to a pallet. I was told I didn’t need an ADR, it was perfectly safe and I wasn’t going far anyway.

8 years later I’m still alive :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: But even so :wink: I can see your point and it is wise to be careful :wink:

Saratoga:
Years ago before I even had heard of ADR I was sent to collect a ‘radioactive’ parcel from a company. The words were scary but I saw them preparing the load. It was a small container, smaller than 150ml can of coke and that was wrapped in all sorts of led protection and coverings and the labels and strapped to a pallet. I was told I didn’t need an ADR, it was perfectly safe and I wasn’t going far anyway.

8 years later I’m still alive :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: But even so :wink: I can see your point and it is wise to be careful :wink:

Hi Saratoga,

Some radioactives (UN Class 7) are allowed to be carried by non-ADR trained drivers.
Such packages as you described are usually called “excepted” packages.

Thanks for the help. Thought it may be you that answered being the fount of all knowledge on ADR.

They were the only visible stickers and I did question it with the loader at the time. He said don’t worry there’s nothing in those drums that would kill ya.

Oh and by the way not sure of exact quantities but there were 11 drums in all.

So thought I would check with you and see what you thought.

Thanks again.

Dean

dar1976:
Thanks for the help. Thought it may be you that answered being the fount of all knowledge on ADR.

Hi Dean,
I do my best to help. :blush: :blush:

dar1976:
They were the only visible stickers and I did question it with the loader at the time. He said don’t worry there’s nothing in those drums that would kill ya.

Thanks for clarifying that. I’d say that the loader is correct up to a point, because anything will kill you if you were to drink enough of it. :grimacing:

dar1976:
Oh and by the way not sure of exact quantities but there were 11 drums in all.

A drum like that would count as 200 liters for ADR load calculation purposes, but for this, we wouldn’t count the weight of the drum itself.
Using the normal ADR way of calculating the load, you had 200 X 11 = 2,200 liters on board.
However, if the ‘stuff’ has a high specific gravity, you would have had more than 2,200kgs.
The actual weight (including the weight of the drums and pallets etc) is what counts for rules on axle/GVW weights, because the assumption for ADR reckoning is that 1 liter = 1kg.
The drivers of small vehicles often miss this important distinction and end up getting fined for overweight, rather than for carrying more than ADR allows without an ADR licence.

dar1976:
So thought I would check with you and see what you thought.

Thanks again.

Dean

No probs Dean, cos this is what I do. :smiley:
I’d have possibly seen your question a bit quicker if there’d been “ADR” or “dangerous goods” in the topic title, but please don’t take that as a criticism. :wink:
I’m always happy to help. :smiley:

Saratoga:

When i was in the navy (up until about 2 years ago) the divers watches we used to receive and fire/smoke detector heads for the engine rooms were classified as radioactive!

I’m not sure about the detector heads but with the watches it was because of the illuminum on the face! All were delivered with the same amount of radioactive paperwork (that meant nothing to us apart from the storage aspect of it all) as if you were taking delivery of a certain thing that went bang with a bright light at the end of the tunnel!

dieseldave:

Saratoga:

Hi Saratoga,

Some radioactives (UN Class 7) are allowed to be carried by non-ADR trained drivers.
Such packages as you described are usually called “excepted” packages.

About twenty million consignments of all sizes containing radioactive materials are routinely transported worldwide annually on public roads, railways and ships.

Wheel Nut:

About twenty million consignments of all sizes containing radioactive materials are routinely transported worldwide annually on public roads, railways and ships.

Hi Malc,

I’ll own up that I didn’t realise that the figures for this were as high as your quote suggests. :wink:

I guess that what Lee is referring to would also come within that figure.
:bulb: There are four UN numbers for radioactives that are subject to some of the requirements of ADR, but these can be carried by a non-ADR trained driver. Then there’s some other radioactive stuff that’s completely exempt.