One for ADR people!

Just after some info, we pickup containers from unilever leeds wich is full of deodorant (limited quantitys) we get given the stickers but told not to put them on u til we get to dock, reason being the load is not hazardous on the road but it is at sea, and if I put the stickers on and set out on the road the im accepting responsibility for it being ADR, even though the truck is not set up for ADR and I’m not ADR trained, just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this? Cheers

That’s sounds about right, it will come under limited quantities but on the sea would be hazardous if it got in it…
You don’t need ADR for limited quantities, though I’m sure Diesel Dave will be along in a minute… :wink:

Before I retired I used to carry scrap batteries for export as a subbie for a firm that was very careful about ADR and this was the procedure so I am sure it is correct.

In my opinion this highlights a serious flaw in the ADR training at present in that if you are not ADR trained how are you supposed to know the rules regarding quantities, packaging etc and in this case the rules for sea freight. I am sure there are unscrupulous people about that will feed you a line to get the stuff away and then deny all responsibility when the ■■■■ hits the fan.

Why does it only get hazerdous at sea? Is it due to the movement on the waves? Or the salt in the atmosphere?

use to have to do it all the time, load limited quantities and head for the continent. Use to get to the docks hand your paperwork in and they use to give you stickers to put on the trailer. Its just maritime law is different to road transport law. as soon as you got the other side use to take the stickers off. :smiley:

The-Snowman:
Why does it only get hazerdous at sea? Is it due to the movement on the waves? Or the salt in the atmosphere?

I think it will be the need to know what is in a container so the hazard can be confined, 1 container of arosols isnt really a hazard on the road, but 150 containers of arosols all stacked together on a boat would be like a giant bomb if there is a fire, so all hazardous are stacked together away from the engines, fuel tanks and living accomadation.

but you should have adr awareness, its not a legal requirement at the minute, but the sooner it is the better

I did ADR years ago in the army but haven’t used it for 5year or so , so was unsure what the crack was , i thought the fire brigade would need to know if I was in an accident and got killed and the truck/container was on fire , surely they would need to know what was inside (a bomb) , seems a bit weird I reckon lol , oh well nevermind I’ll let the planner off gaha

The-Snowman:

marine pollutant ?

voodoo1:

The-Snowman:

marine pollutant ?

Yes, by sea ALL Dangerous Goods are considered Marine Pollutants and therefore “In-scope” of the IMDG (Internationl Maritime Dangerous Goods) code.

By road the consignment comes under ADR regs. which have a little more flexibility regarding exempted loads than IMDG.

Basically the deodorants are packaged as a retail product NOT an industrial chemical (as are most aerosols also considered retail). The way to think of it is anything you can buy from Wilko’s/Boots/B&Q. Or anything ‘Hazardous’ that lives under your sink or in your garden shed. These products usually come under Limited Quantity exemption by road, and a non-ADR driver can carry as much or as many as the truck can carry (providing he has awareness of the hazards and the product does not exceed the allotted LQ individual receptacle size (always below 5kg/5litres). Rightly or wrongly…thems the rules.
So, in theory, providing it’s packaged under the LQ allowance, a driver could transport 26 tonnes of paint stripper (say, in 500 ml plastic bottles) and not need an ADR licence but as soon as it got to the docks the LOAD comes into full IMDG scope requiring appropriate vehicle markings & standardised paperwork (a Dangerous Goods Note - DGN). Even though it’s the same load!!!

I’m sure Dieseldave will give you the full explanation, but I think you’ll find it’s because ADR regulations are for road transport, ships come under a different set of regulations IMDG I think. The stickers you’ve been given are to comply with the shipping regulations not ADR, which I believe don’t require stickers.

matamoros:
In my opinion this highlights a serious flaw in the ADR training at present in that if you are not ADR trained how are you supposed to know the rules regarding quantities, packaging etc and in this case the rules for sea freight. I am sure there are unscrupulous people about that will feed you a line to get the stuff away and then deny all responsibility when the [zb] hits the fan.

I seem to remember being told that it’s not the drivers who is responsible for deciding if a load is ADR or not, even if they’re ADR trained, that why companies have DGSA’s.
A driver has to hold an ADR qualifications to know how to deal with the load once they’ve been informed its under ADR regs.

I’ve never been shown/told how to deal with a problem if it occurs when carrying the box , is that upto the company to teach/show me or the shipping like (samskip)

burnley-si:
but you should have adr awareness, its not a legal requirement at the minute, but the sooner it is the better

I’m afraid ADR awareness is a requirement Si, and it’s been so for ages now.

It also applies to the owner of a vehicle too, regardless of whether he/she is to drive it.

DAF95XF:
That’s sounds about right, it will come under limited quantities but on the sea would be hazardous if it got in it…
You don’t need ADR for limited quantities, though I’m sure Diesel Dave will be along in a minute… :wink:

Yes, he’s around and he’s spotted this post.

I’m working on it. :wink: :grimacing:

Smoggie89:
Just after some info, we pickup containers from unilever leeds wich is full of deodorant (limited quantitys) we get given the stickers but told not to put them on u til we get to dock, reason being the load is not hazardous on the road but it is at sea, and if I put the stickers on and set out on the road the im accepting responsibility for it being ADR, even though the truck is not set up for ADR and I’m not ADR trained, just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this? Cheers

Hi Smoggie89,

The requirements for marking containers are quite easy to remember.

You need to mark a container carrying any amount of any dangerous goods on all four sides from start to finish of a journey.
That holds good no matter how the dangerous goods are packaged, so it includes carriage of Limited Quantities. :wink:
(Very rarely, a Special Provision may provide an exemption from this, but it’s not relevant here.)

The thing you’ve been told about not putting the placards on until you get to the docks doesn’t apply to containers, but may sometimes apply to tautliners, euroliners and box bodied trailers etc.

Now you’ve got the rules for containers sorted, we can now think about the vehicle.

This rule is quite simple too. :smiley:

A vehicle whose authorised GVW is in excess of 12t needs markings on the front and rear when carrying more than 8t of goods packaged in Limited Quantities.

Dave’s making tip:

Count the vehicle and container as two separate ‘things’ and obey the rules for both.

Now put the container on the vehicle and you’re good to go. :smiley:

muckles:

matamoros:
In my opinion this highlights a serious flaw in the ADR training at present in that if you are not ADR trained how are you supposed to know the rules regarding quantities, packaging etc and in this case the rules for sea freight. I am sure there are unscrupulous people about that will feed you a line to get the stuff away and then deny all responsibility when the [zb] hits the fan.

I seem to remember being told that it’s not the drivers who is responsible for deciding if a load is ADR or not, even if they’re ADR trained, that why companies have DGSA’s.
A driver has to hold an ADR qualifications to know how to deal with the load once they’ve been informed its under ADR regs.

THIS^^

Every day of the week and twice on Sundays :smiley:

dieseldave:

Smoggie89:

Hi Smoggie89,

The requirements for marking containers are quite easy to remember.

You need to mark a container carrying any amount of any dangerous goods on all four sides from start to finish of a journey.
That holds good no matter how the dangerous goods are packaged, so it includes carriage of Limited Quantities. :wink:
(Very rarely, a Special Provision may provide an exemption from this, but it’s not relevant here.)

The thing you’ve been told about not putting the placards on until you get to the docks doesn’t apply to containers, but may sometimes apply to tautliners, euroliners and box bodied trailers etc.

Now you’ve got the rules for containers sorted, we can now think about the vehicle.

This rule is quite simple too. :smiley:

A vehicle whose authorised GVW is in excess of 12t needs markings on the front and rear when carrying more than 8t of goods packaged in Limited Quantities.

Dave’s making tip:

Count the vehicle and container as two separate ‘things’ and obey the rules for both.

Now put the container on the vehicle and you’re good to go. :smiley:

So in truck driver terms , I need to put them on or not lol , I remember a driver saying something about the more than 8t and the vehicle needs stickers or summit , is it the same black/white placard or just the orange plates ? Sorry if I seem a bit “thick” lol

The-Snowman:

Hi mate,

The United Nations (UN) has given all dangerous goods a four-digit number.

That way, the Regs governing a particular mode of carriage can say how any dangerous substance or dangerous article is to be carried if they wish.

Keeping it nice and easy… let’s think about trucks, trains, boats and planes.

Each operates in a completely different environment and with particular things to be considered.

By road, a vehicle driver can stop and phone 999 to get help, but a ship can be 1,000 miles from help and in the middle of an ocean when something goes wrong. An airline captain faces different issues if something goes wrong in-flight.

Each mode of carriage has separate Regs, which take all of this into account.
Each of the Regs for the different modes of carriage deal with the same dangerous goods in completely different ways, which takes into account the likely outcomes if something went wrong.

As an example, you’re probably aware that some things are completely prohibited from being carried on an aircraft, but ADR wouldn’t mind if many tonnes of the same thing were carried by road.

ADR governs road transport
RID governs rail transport
IMDG governs sea transport
IATA governs air transport…

… but all of them are based on the basics given to them by the United Nations.

So I am a non ADR trained driver, I am aware that ADR regulations exist and fully aware of my responsibilities. I turn up to collect a load and notice some chemicals in packages amongst the load,the shipper makes the decision (or just lies), because it is their responsibility, that the packages do not come under ADR rules. Who is then prosecuted if the error(deception) is discovered?