A question for the Guru's (ADR)

We’ve been collecting a lot of our boxes which have been used for storing fire works at supermarkets etc.
These boxes are marked up with the relevant markings (so Im told :open_mouth: )
A new guy at our place tells me even though they are empty Im not allowed to carry them with the ADR markings on as I do not hold the relevant ticket.
Was I correct to tell him he was talking out of his backside?
Simon. :sunglasses:

I stand to be corrected by the man himself {DieselDave}, however I think that as they are no longer carrying the controlled substances which they are labelled up as carrying, that you can carry them without the ticket, as you aren’t transporting anything hazardous, but as I said, stand to be corrected by those in the know, mine was just a common sense view of it, as yours was…we shall see

If you don’t have ADR ticket you can only drive empty “ADR carriers”.
Empty “ADR carriers” should not bear ADR marking

edit: I understand you “box” is an ISO container or similar.
If the boxes are just cardboard/plastic/metalic crates then they are just empty boxes with colourful stickers. It may be good idea to put “empty” stickers onto them (or remove those warnings) just for the case (so that firemen don’t panic when there’s an accident).

Yes,sorry should of said,they are empty 20ft iso boxes.
Simon :sunglasses:

thegeordie:
We’ve been collecting a lot of our boxes which have been used for storing fire works at supermarkets etc.
These boxes are marked up with the relevant markings (so Im told :open_mouth: )
A new guy at our place tells me even though they are empty Im not allowed to carry them with the ADR markings on as I do not hold the relevant ticket.
Was I correct to tell him he was talking out of his backside?
Simon. :sunglasses:

Hi Simon,
Once any dangerous goods have been removed from an ISO container, all of the placards (diamond-shaped) MUST be removed or covered over.

Given that you’ve mentioned that you do not hold the relevant ticket, then you possibly may not know the importance of removing/covering the placards. The fact that no dangerous goods are being carried means that it is completely irrelevant whether the driver has an ADR licence or not.

It doesn’t necessarily follow that, just because an ISO container needs placards, an ADR licence is also required. I can think of many instances when four dangerous goods placards are required to be shown and applied to an ISO container, but the driver wouldn’t need an ADR licence when the vehicle carrying the container is out on the road. One such example is the carriage of… errr, … mmm, …errr, … FIREWORKS, provided that they have the following placard:

If this is the (correctly) required placard, then you can carry a whole truckful of the stuff without an ADR licence.

If the new guy has an ADR licence, please tell him that he should have paid more attention in class!! :unamused: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :grimacing:

A similar question was asked a little while ago, so there’s a bit more on the subject of marking ISO containers… :arrow_right: CLICKY HERE

garnerlives:
I stand to be corrected by the man himself {DieselDave}, however I think that as they are no longer carrying the controlled substances which they are labelled up as carrying, that you can carry them without the ticket, as you aren’t transporting anything hazardous, but as I said, stand to be corrected by those in the know, mine was just a common sense view of it, as yours was…we shall see

Hi Jon, A triumph for common sense!! :smiley:

Spot-on mate, but any placarding/labelling must be removed or covered over when there’s no dangerous goods being carried. :grimacing:

HomoFaber:
If you don’t have ADR ticket you can only drive empty “ADR carriers”.
Empty “ADR carriers” should not bear ADR marking

Sorry HomoFaber, but something isn’t right with this…
I can help if you can tell me what an “ADR carrier” is please ?

HomoFaber:
edit: I understand you “box” is an ISO container or similar.
If the boxes are just cardboard/plastic/metalic crates then they are just empty boxes with colourful stickers. It may be good idea to put “empty” stickers onto them (or remove those warnings) just for the case (so that firemen don’t panic when there’s an accident).

I’d say that’s a very good idea. :smiley:

Yeah, I admit I didn’t write the first sentence very well, mainly the expression “empty ADR carrier”.

Under the “ADR carrier” I meant an ADR-certified vehicle and I meant that if a box van or tautliner or whatever routinely used to carry dangerous goods is empty, orange plates folded, warnings removed then the driver does not need to be ADR-qualified. Same goes for delivery of new chemical tankers.

BUT, in fact, an ADR-certified vehicle can be loaded with non-dangerous goods and in this case the driver does not need ADR ticket either.

Do I sound better now?

HomoFaber:
Yeah, I admit I didn’t write the first sentence very well, mainly the expression “empty ADR carrier”.

Under the “ADR carrier” I meant an ADR-certified vehicle and I meant that if a box van or tautliner or whatever routinely used to carry dangerous goods is empty, orange plates folded, warnings removed then the driver does not need to be ADR-qualified. Same goes for delivery of new chemical tankers.

BUT, in fact, an ADR-certified vehicle can be loaded with non-dangerous goods and in this case the driver does not need ADR ticket either.

Do I sound better now?

Hi HomoFaber, Yes mate, now you’re spot-on. :smiley:
:blush: You were probably spot-on all along, it was just me who didn’t understand what you meant. :laughing: :blush:

Cheers DD,that is the placard displayed on the boxes we’re bringing back in.
The new guy is one of those who fits in another thread,he was telling me about the V8 112 scania he used to drive,the one with the 18sp box :open_mouth:

thegeordie:
Cheers DD,that is the placard displayed on the boxes we’re bringing back in.

Hi thegeordie, most fireworks are 1.4S, so that wasn’t a bad guess on my part. :wink:

All that’s needed is to remove or cover all of the placards, provided that there are no fireworks left inside the ISO container. If there were fireworks inside the ISO container (even a full load of 1.4S) then you’d just leave the placards where they are, but you wouldn’t need an ADR licence, nor would you need to display orange plates on the front and rear of the vehicle.

thegeordie:
The new guy is one of those who fits in another thread,he was telling me about the V8 112 scania he used to drive,the one with the 18sp box :open_mouth:

:bulb: IIRC, the 112 Scania I used to drive was a straight-six, maybe your new co-worker means a 142?

Glad you’re sorted now. :smiley:

No he meant a 112,lets just say he’s a little bit strange :unamused: