Advice on plates (daily checks)

Hi all could someone give me a little advice regarding daily checks,
On checking your vehicle before you set out and you notice that in the cab 1),no VI plate is there where it should be and cannot be found in the cab - what do you do refuse to take out the vehicle what does the law state ?
2) no O licence is visible and not in cab ? again what does the law state

could anyone answer these please if for anything future ref

smiggy123:
Hi all could someone give me a little advice regarding daily checks,
On checking your vehicle before you set out and you notice that in the cab 1),no VI plate is there where it should be and cannot be found in the cab - what do you do refuse to take out the vehicle what does the law state ?
2) no O licence is visible and not in cab ? again what does the law state

could anyone answer these please if for anything future ref

Simple mark it on your defect sheet, and carry on. Maybe the lorry is new and hasn’t had the plate issued yet, maybe it was downrated and (see above)

A hire vehicle wouldn’t have an o licence and as long as your boss has a margin, he is perfectly in his right to use it. It has made it easier with online operator licensing where you can change vehicles online, but the disc will still come in the post.

At the end of the day, it isn’t the drivers problem and it is not the driver who will be prosecuted.

Hi guys,
I know I should know this but I don’t so please bear with me.

What is a VI plate? and where should it be?
Thanks.

LandyLad:
Hi guys,

Thanks.

Vehicle Inspectorate, an old name for VOSA

It should be affixed in the cab in a prominent place, normally the step or door panel.

The plate should still be there even if the vehicle is hired, but see note about new vehicles

A trailer should also have one fitted on the chassis along with the MOT Disc

LandyLad:
Hi guys,

Thanks.

Hi LandyLad,

The VI Plate should be on the nearside of the vehicle.
It’s commonly fixed to the passenger seat-frame, or the inside of the passenger door.

The appearance (and names) of the VI plates have changed over the years, but they’ve been a requirement for many many years.

Here are some examples, but please don’t worry about the photoshopped arrows and marks on them cos I put them there when I answered a different question.

Thanks Wheelnut and DieselDave.

I did knew about these plates but I have always called them the “Weigh Plates”, but now I know what they are peoperly called, where they are and the old names for them.
Thanks again guys.

LandyLad:
Thanks Wheelnut and DieselDave.

I did knew about these plates but I have always called them the “Weigh Plates”, but now I know what they are peoperly called, where they are and the old names for them.
Thanks again guys.

Hi LandyLad,

TBH mate, I think most people still call them “the ministry plate” (Ministry of Transport) cos IIRC, that what they were called when they first came out. :smiley:

…or simply “the plate” :slight_smile:

mrpj:
…or simply “the plate” :slight_smile:

That too!! :grimacing: