Tankers and VOSA plates

Hi all, first time poster and long time lurker. I’m new to te HGv driving industry, after recently leaving the forces I decided to make use of my class 1 licence, I did a bit of agency work to get some experience, and landed right on my feet with a permanent position at a large whiskey transporter in Scotland.

So to the point, last week I had to move a tanker which was missing the VOSA
Plate, but had the green plate, I questioned the mechanic he said it was fine to move as it had the green plate, so I defected it and rocked on, tonight another driver spotted the plate missing on the same tanker, and raised it, he was told not to move it.

So any help clarifying wether the mechanic has just pulled a fast one on me or not would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

Anyone?

If it was a brand new or nearly brand new trailer then it could be feasable that the vosa plate had not been produced yet and so it would be perfectly ok to use. I had exactly this situation with a unit back in 2006, got pulled at a check point and even the vosa man had to check with his supervisor. I think they had about a 6 month backlog at the time. They did also say that it was the operators responsability and not the drivers so I would be checking with your manager whether or not they want you to use it. Other than that sorry I cant realy help.

From memory, which is usually not great! I don’t think it was new I think it was a year or two old. I am now worrying that I have been had on, and it’s been a case of get the load moved at all costs, even the drivers licence if he crosses the law. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can see my defect book getting used a lot more from now on.

The plating certificate has to be there. Its what tells VOSA what the axle weight limits are.

Just notify your transport manager it’s an issue between them and VOSA then crack on.

10 days later or so I know, but thanks for the replies. The best advice I’ve had had so far is that I could have refused to take the tanker, but as I did defect it, then if I had been checked I may not have been too harshly dealt with as the VOSA plate is a matter for the operator and VOSA apparently, wether this is true or not I am unsure and will just not risk it next time now that I know.

So now for another question, since tax discs will not need to be shown soon how will a driver know if the vehicle has indeed been taxed?

petemccallum:
10 days later or so I know, but thanks for the replies. The best advice I’ve had had so far is that I could have refused to take the tanker, but as I did defect it, then if I had been checked I may not have been too harshly dealt with as the VOSA plate is a matter for the operator and VOSA apparently, wether this is true or not I am unsure and will just not risk it next time now that I know.

So now for another question, since tax discs will not need to be shown soon how will a driver know if the vehicle has indeed been taxed?

Again as with the plate it’s not really a driver’s concern beyond assisting the employer avoid potential fines.

As with so many it sounds like you are actively looking for opportunities to refuse to drive and it’s not soon with tax discs it has been the case since last autumn.

Conor:
The plating certificate has to be there. Its what tells VOSA what the axle weight limits are.

No, display is not mandatory to drive it is the same scenario as operator’s discs there are grace periods for processing.

Apologies for the late reply I was up all night trying to find a way to avoid bringing a load down the A9, joking aside I appreciate all advice given by everyone, as sometimes the answers aren’t always readily known and it’s good when you can get help.

However insinuating that I’m looking for ways out of moving loads couldn’t be farther from the mark, I actually really enjoy this line of work and as I stated earlier I’ve just left the forces after 12 years service, so the change of pace and variety that comes with it is welcome to me, however I am very conscious that basically ever slide I saw on DCPC puts the point across that you as a driver are the responsible party, therefor since I will be getting the blame for anything wrong, wether that’s something i should have known better about or something my employer has assured me is fine to move and ends up being a case of move the load at all costs.

If you see diligence as reluctance to work, when this licence is what feeds my family then I’m sorry you feel that way but I will continue to make sure I’m on the right side of the law so that I don’t risk losing my means of feeding my family.

And as for the tax disc rule, I was still living in Germany at that time and just home from somewhere nice and warm with interesting locals, with other priorities than what date tax discs are redundant from.

Again thanks for all the help, but don’t mix up diligence for laziness and you won’t have to read a load of ■■■■■■■■ from a guy trying to make sure he’s not doing wrong.

The tax status can be checked online with just a registration number.
As you are the driver, you are responsible for most things, so you did right in defecting the missing plate.
Cheers
Paul

(Also somewhere hot and interesting)

Try this for Tax :wink: : - - (also for tax and MOT on lighter vehicles/cars/vans/motorcycles)

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

It may assist you when checking for new purchase :wink:, although tax is no longer transferable.

This for insurance :

ownvehicle.askmid.com/

The DVLA website does not interlink with DVSA for MOT on Large commercials unfortunately.
Hence the Plating Certificate should be present.

Cheers for the replies, especially that link for MOT and tax, I was actually in the middle of a panic about MOT date, as I have lost the certificate.

Your welcome :grimacing: