ADR

Right sorry if im posting this in the wrong section,new on here,my question is i have an ADR in packages and have been offered some work pulling a tanker,i have been told my ADR is ok to use,but i thought seeing its pulling a tanker i would have to have an ADR in tanks? its advertised as ADR work,wont know until i go there tomorrow what it is they carry,anybody know if you can carry hazardous in a tanker with just an ADR in packages??

No ,You can not drive tanks with only packages , Dave will be along and
give the official wording, you require the Tanks part as well,

cheers pete,i thought that was the case,because otherwise there would be no point in having a seperate course for tanks,its agency work when he mentioned tanks i told him i only had packages,and emailed him a copy of my ADR,he then rang back and said he had showed the company that they supply to and they said it was ok■■?

are you sure that its Tanker work and not packages they are offering as work.

yeah pete pretty sure its tanks,he was on about getting someone to show me how to use the pto to pump them out.

garybow41:
yeah pete pretty sure its tanks,he was on about getting someone to show me how to use the pto to pump them out.

Maybe it is for a water or milk tank?

dont think its for milk or water,he wouldnt of asked for a copy of my ADR for that! im pretty sure its ADR work in tankers,starting to ythink he hasnt got a clue what hes on about

garybow41:
Right sorry if im posting this in the wrong section,new on here,my question is i have an ADR in packages and have been offered some work pulling a tanker,i have been told my ADR is ok to use,but i thought seeing its pulling a tanker i would have to have an ADR in tanks? its advertised as ADR work,wont know until i go there tomorrow what it is they carry,anybody know if you can carry hazardous in a tanker with just an ADR in packages??

Hi garybow41, agency office bods don’t always have much of a grasp of ADR I’m afraid mate. :frowning:

An ADR ‘in tanks’ (the left-hand column on your ADR certificate) is required if you drive a tank-vehicle.
A tank-vehicle means a tank having a capacity of more than 1 000 litres which is permanently attached to a vehicle (which then becomes a tank-vehicle) or is an integral part of the frame of such vehicle.

An ADR ‘in tanks’ (the left-hand column on your ADR certificate) is required if you drive a vehicle which carries a tank-container of greater than three cubic meters capacity ( 3,000ish liters)

As other posters have pointed out, an ADR licence is NOT required if you are asked to drive a tanker that isn’t carrying dangerous goods eg. water, milk, cement, flour etc. Many people wrongly think that an ADR licence is needed for driving a tanker, that is completely wrong because an ADR licence is for carrying dangerous goods NOT for driving a particular type of vehicle. :smiley:

Given that your ADR licence isn’t for tanks, then you’re not covered for carrying dangerous goods in a tanker.
If you are asked to carry dangerous goods in a tipper ( = in bulk) then you’re OK with your ADR ‘in packages’ licence, because that covers you for ‘bulk’ too. :smiley:

Good luck with the assignment, but watch out for those who get their definitions mixed-up. :grimacing:

garybow41:
dont think its for milk or water,he wouldnt of asked for a copy of my ADR for that! im pretty sure its ADR work in tankers,starting to ythink he hasnt got a clue what hes on about

:open_mouth: My thoughts exactly mate. :wink:

thanks for that dave,pretty much what i thought,had an ADR for the lot (except 1 AND 7) a few years ago but let it go,did class 1, 2 yrs ago,only carried 1s in my last job,and have just done packages in the hope it might give me more options.AT least the advise youve all given me saves me wasting £20 in fuel,cheers lads.

garybow41:
thanks for that dave,pretty much what i thought,had an ADR for the lot (except 1 AND 7) a few years ago but let it go,did class 1, 2 yrs ago,only carried 1s in my last job,and have just done packages in the hope it might give me more options.AT least the advise youve all given me saves me wasting £20 in fuel,cheers lads.

Hi garybow41, I always glad to help mate, but please don’t forget that some of the agency office bods haven’t a clue about ADR and make up rules (or exemptions) to suit themselves.
:open_mouth: Sometimes, their customers are just as clueless too. :grimacing: