ADR, Is it worth it?

my last boss paid for mine and i got the same pay for carrying dg"s as for normal cargo on international trips , paperwork alone can be a nightmare , but its another feather in your cap if you got one .

I’ve given it some thought but not worth it for the little extra. There is a demand in Avonmouth but by the time I’ve driven a few extra miles and paid to get back over the bridge the extra £10 I could earn is gone. There is local work here on heating oil delivery and while driving round the countryside in a little 4 wheeler sounds a nice way to earn a living the pay is awful.

I,ve thought about ADR and maybe coming off the road again and going up the one of the airports , again .
This time as an Aircraft refueller . :slight_smile:

paul@midway:
I,ve thought about ADR and maybe coming off the road again and going up the one of the airports , again .

Wouldnt have thought you needed one for driving “off road”. I thought all the aircraft fuellers picked up the fuel from a terminal (like the one a NEMA) then went air side.

on my third adr had lots of jobs because of it it opens doors try it can make more money on haulage no adr :wink:

hi all im a new member been driving class 2 for two years now,recently paid £500 quid for my ADR,mad?maybe or maybe not,not much good for agency work as insurance,risk factor and training costs involved,but as a future class 1 driver looking for a proper job id say extremely useful.Might be a couple of years before i land a good class 1 job(got pass test first!) as has been said many times before the best companies dont have to advertise im aiming at tanker work one day so maybe i am mad! then having financed all my own training and armed with good refs gona go for it,ive got four years to do it so im in no hurry

I’ve also been wondering about this as a newbee wondering what direction I want to go in future. Living near Grangemouth there is obviously a lot of tanker driver positions needing to be filled around this area, but how easy is it to get in with the better companies■■?

How many years experience would you realisticly need before it’s worth even applying for these positions■■?

Has anybody here got experience at Grangemouth that could advise??

If your talking petrol Brownie they wont be keen without at least the two years, and you will probably be over 25.

It also tends to be a bit of a closed shop, friend of a friend type thing.

BUT there are the minnows of the industry who are not quite as picky (not an insult).

A good way to find them is just to watch who comes in and out of the terminal and take a few numbers and ring them, once your in and know what your doing you will get to hear who needs drivers whos leaving etc.[/u]

Save your money! at least for the time being.

My ADR runs out in March and I’m not doing the refresher. I’ve had no real use out of it. Although I did start with a chemical tanker firm but I quickly worked out that there was too much risk with nasty stuff without much in the way of reward.

If you really want to do it then wait a couple of years and get used to working with a class 1 wagon. You will have enough to learn without stressing about how to tip something that will quite happily burn your face off. The good ADR jobs really need you to have a good couple of years driving experience.

If someone really wants you as a ADR driver then let them pay for it. I’ve just got a job that I’m really looking forward to, it requires me to have a Hiab and they are going to train me to get it. For me thats the way it should be.

Best of luck

CW

Sockpuppet:

paul@midway:

Wouldnt have thought you needed one for driving “off road”. I thought all the aircraft fuellers picked up the fuel from a terminal (like the one a NEMA) then went air side.

I’d agree with you on that one Sockpuppet.

The UK’s definition of “a road” for dangerous goods purposes is: “a road to which the public has access” (paraphrased,) so I doubt that it could be argued that “air-side” at an airport is “a road.” Having said that, I’ve trained many aviation fuel bowser drivers on ADR Core, Tanks and Class3, because it was company policy. He who pays the piper and all that… In those circumstances, the fuel is delivered by a normal road tanker from the refinery to the airfield’s storage tank, then the bowser drivers can keep their bowsers topped-up without leaving the airport.

Sockpuppet:

paul@midway:

Yup ADR required .Always been required at EMA .
Used to work up there and talk to the fuel lads , they won’t even think of employing you without an ADR .

Albeit short distance you have to use public roads at EMA to get to the different entrances to airside . Obviously airside isn’t considered a public area .

paul@midway:
Yup ADR required .Always been required at EMA .
Used to work up there and talk to the fuel lads , they won’t even think of employing you without an ADR .

Albeit short distance you have to use public roads at EMA to get to the different entrances to airside . Obviously airside isn’t considered a public area .

That’s a very interesting point you’ve raised there paul@midway. I agree that “airside” wouldn’t be regarded as being a “road.” However, from a dangerous goods point of view, the guys driving bowsers are most probably legally exempt from needing an ADR licence now that you’ve described the situation as “you have to use public roads at EMA to get to the different entrances to airside.”
(Rather than a perimeter road wholly within the “airside” fencing.)

Following on from that, the fuel company also wouldn’t need to appoint a DGSA, if this is their only involvement with dangerous goods. The bowsers also wouldn’t need to exhibit hazard warning panels (tanker markings) even whilst on the “road” doing the job you’ve explained, unless they go to the refinery to do their own collections. The exemptions I have in mind are quite wide-ranging in the circumstances you’ve described. I’d suggest that this might be a good example of the world of difference between a “legal requirement” and a “company policy.”