Thinking of doing my ADR course. Worth it?

Been driving Class 1 for over 2 years now. Just debating wether to add a bit more to my options by doing my ADR course inc tankers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I dont live to far from kingsbury tamworth where i know quite a few fuel companys pull out from.

Worth it or not is the question? been quoted £400 for full course ect.

Any information and comments welcome.
Would be a different challenge and give me more job options hopefully.
Cheers

I will swap my ADR licence for your 2 yrs class 1 experience.
I would definately do it ,as it is another string to the bow,I did the ADR in May,found it a good course.I would also say dont underestimate the course,and revise each night,altough its multiple choice for exam paper,theres a lot to take in over 4 days,then exams on day 5.
What do you drive at the moment,and how did you get the brake into class1.

Its worth it and not too hard but pay extra and get tanks aswell as packages.
Mainly common sense questions too.

cft:
Worth it or not is the question? been quoted £400 for full course ect.

:smiley: Hi cft, WELCOME.:grimacing:

My first reaction to that price is to think that there’s possibly some misunderstanding, because it seems a little on the cheap side of average.

Whilst I truly hope that you can do a full course for £400, I feel that either, you haven’t asked the right questions, or maybe the firm maybe haven’t been entirely forthcoming with the answers.

The pricing of an ADR course is left to market forces, plus there’s some Government funding available for certain candidates in some areas of the country. I’d say that an average price for Core, Packs and 7 Classes is around £400 - £450 ish, whilst the tanker ‘add-on’ is around £100 - £150. Those are average prices charged by the providers that I teach ADR for in my area, but THE PRICES CAN VARY, so it generally pays to shop around. :smiley:

If you’ve never had ADR before, I suggest that you ask whether the exam fees and V.A.T. are included in the quoted price. :wink:

After all, you wouldn’t want any nasty surprises would you.? :grimacing:

One way of getting what you want is to ask for “Core, Tanks and Class 3.” If you only want to carry fuels in tankers, you honestly don’t need any of the other bits of the course, but since there’s nowt fot nowt, you’d be somewhat restricted. Your choice though… :smiley:

If you need contact details for providers in your area, just ask me. :smiley:

i done my adr bk in april this yr , found it not bad , must revision each night a must tho , only done tanks didnt do packages ,but i done very well in exams and picked up 7 out of 9 classes tho .thats was roughly £550 with apex in peterborough.

I agree with DieselDave, that the price yove been quoted does seem a little too cheap, I paid £502 last Oct for packages and tanks, all classes except 1 and 7. Have only used it once though and that was last week, however I think its a worth while course and very interesting to do anyway

The answer to your question…

NO… :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Smee:
The answer to your question…

NO… :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Hi Smee, It might be an idea if you were to explain your reason for saying “no” so that cft can benefit from your advice.

Thanks for the replies on the above. :slight_smile: very much appreciated.
Ive been quoted by a local company and the paperwork in sat beside me.

5 day course all modules - tanks & packages. £400 inclusive.

As for doing it im really thinking about it at the moment.

As for my class 1 training ect. My current company paid for my training and tests . Class 2 + Class 1. So i cant really complain as it didnt cost a penny.
Currently pulling box trailers tri + twin + deckers . Using Man tga unit.
have used mercs/volvos/dafs/reno’s / 3x3 4x4 autos ect.
By far the worst animal has to be twin splitter eatons lol!!!

Thanks again all. all input appreciated. !

i did my adr about 18 mths ago with a new company, which was there 1st course and i payed £270 packages core and tanks and all the exam fees, the examiner said they made a big mistake, as they were paying him more then that to teach us. my gain but there loss.

saddler:
i did my adr about 18 mths ago with a new company, which was there 1st course and i payed £270 packages core and tanks and all the exam fees, the examiner said they made a big mistake, as they were paying him more then that to teach us. my gain but there loss.

Hi saddler, you got a very good deal there mate. :grimacing:

The training indusry isn’t that much different to haulage.
Anybody starting out needs some customers, so new training providers will struggle until people phone them to make bookings.
I’ve worked for new start training companies, and many will run their first few ADR courses at a loss whilst they pick up new customers.

cft:

Best gearbox this side of Wapping!!!

Koop:

cft:

Agreed. :grimacing: :wink:

dieseldave:

Koop:

cft:

Agreed. :grimacing: :wink:

Yep agreed.
Best Gearbox…Ever. :wink:

lmfao ok i back down on the gearbox cough. dont miss a gear though!