ADR is it worth it?

So ice had a good two years experience doing versions roles driving. Some of which has been refuelling aircraft. Oddly enough due to this being on a private airfield you don’t need an ADR so the company doesn’t go to the expense of putting you through it.

Here’s the question.
Is it worth getting and ADR in either fuel tanks or gases. Where I live there seems to many jobs coming up that transport gas cylinders. More so than fuel, wages always seem to be around £12 plus an hour which really appeals to me. As I’ve had some experience of dealing and moving fuel they can’t feed me that bollox about not having an experience?!?!

I’ve looked around and been quoted around £700 to do a 5 day ADR in either with an exam on the Friday. Is it a waste of my own money or is it worth it?
Thanks in advance gents

700 quid? :open_mouth:
That’s way over the top…

It probably depends where you live and what’s around you pal, I’ve a refinery near me so more than it’s fair share of ADR work.
As for bottles, is that class 2 work as I suspect that’s going to be pretty physical work.

Call my office, quote your Trucknet name and pay just £450 all in.

… and there’s 28hrs of cpc to be had as well!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:
700 quid? :open_mouth:
That’s way over the top…

It probably depends where you live and what’s around you pal, I’ve a refinery near me so more than it’s fair share of ADR work.
As for bottles, is that class 2 work as I suspect that’s going to be pretty physical work.

I thought £700 was very steep to which prompted me to ask on here. Yes we have a BOC plant down near me & calogas that always seem to be after drivers with this type of ADR. Pretty heavy going I’m sure with the bottles but if it pays well I might bend my back :slight_smile:
Cheers

Peter Smythe:
Call my office, quote your Trucknet name and pay just £450 all in.

… and there’s 28hrs of cpc to be had as well!

Where are you based Peter?

Sutton in Ashfield NG17 3FW junc 28 M1. Accommodation available at low rates for ADR candidates.

Nighthawk.:
I thought £700 was very steep to which prompted me to ask on here.

Yes mate, that’s a bit expensive. :open_mouth:

Nighthawk.:
Yes we have a BOC plant down near me & calogas that always seem to be after drivers with this type of ADR. Pretty heavy going I’m sure with the bottles but if it pays well I might bend my back :slight_smile:

If gas cylinders are all you wish to carry, then all you need is:

ADR Core module
ADR packages module
ADR UN Class 2 (gases) module

7 or 14hrs DCPC available for those, depending on how the ADR provider timetables it.
You’d probably only need to attend all day on days 1 and 2, then again for about 1.5hrs on exam day, usually on day 4 or 5.

There’s no need to take any exams for any other ADR modules that you don’t need (or want.)
If you need another 7 hrs DCPC, then you could attend on day #3, but just as a DCPC candidate, which is usually quite a bit cheaper than a day’s ‘proper’ ADR tuition.

At a rough guess (I’m NOT a provider) I’d say that you’re looking at around £200 - £220 + VAT, plus £60 (no VAT on exam fees) for the 3 relevant exams.
The tanker module is usually around £100ish + VAT, plus £20 (no VAT on exam fees) for the one relevant exam.
Some providers have the tanker module approved for 7hrs DCPC, but not all providers have that approval, so it’s best to ask at the time of making the booking.

Optionally, you could take the tanker module, then you could drive tankers, but you’d be limited to just UN Class 2 if that appeals to you, but I’d advise that it’s far easier work than lugging cylinders around.

:bulb: If you’d like more work options, then you could consider adding UN Class 3 (flammable liquids) cos you’d then be covered for most refinery work.

dieseldave:
Optionally, you could take the tanker module, then you could drive tankers…but I’d advise that it’s far easier work than lugging cylinders around

AMEN TO THAT!! :laughing:

nickb67:

dieseldave:
Optionally, you could take the tanker module, then you could drive tankers…but I’d advise that it’s far easier work than lugging cylinders around

AMEN TO THAT!! :laughing:

Hi nickb67,

You’re spot on mate, and I know this because I have done both. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

£350 at one place near me and 250 at another in West Bromwich.

I was gonna get it because my new work place require me to have it however as they won’t pay for my time off I may as well wait 3 months and wait for them to pay for it. Not prepared to lose nearly a 1k for something they’ll pay for.

Don’t know how they do it at the price! Exams alone are £120 so doesn’t leave a lot of change for a weeks’ work.

Thank you for the advice guys
I think this is a very valuable resource asking.

Your right ■■■■■■■ cyciders is no fun in the cold hahaha

dieseldave:

Nighthawk.:
I thought £700 was very steep to which prompted me to ask on here.

Yes mate, that’s a bit expensive. :open_mouth:

Nighthawk.:
Yes we have a BOC plant down near me & calogas that always seem to be after drivers with this type of ADR. Pretty heavy going I’m sure with the bottles but if it pays well I might bend my back :slight_smile:

If gas cylinders are all you wish to carry, then all you need is:

ADR Core module
ADR packages module
ADR UN Class 2 (gases) module

7 or 14hrs DCPC available for those, depending on how the ADR provider timetables it.
You’d probably only need to attend all day on days 1 and 2, then again for about 1.5hrs on exam day, usually on day 4 or 5.

There’s no need to take any exams for any other ADR modules that you don’t need (or want.)
If you need another 7 hrs DCPC, then you could attend on day #3, but just as a DCPC candidate, which is usually quite a bit cheaper than a day’s ‘proper’ ADR tuition.

At a rough guess (I’m NOT a provider) I’d say that you’re looking at around £200 - £220 + VAT, plus £60 (no VAT on exam fees) for the 3 relevant exams.
The tanker module is usually around £100ish + VAT, plus £20 (no VAT on exam fees) for the one relevant exam.
Some providers have the tanker module approved for 7hrs DCPC, but not all providers have that approval, so it’s best to ask at the time of making the booking.

Optionally, you could take the tanker module, then you could drive tankers, but you’d be limited to just UN Class 2 if that appeals to you, but I’d advise that it’s far easier work than lugging cylinders around.

:bulb: If you’d like more work options, then you could consider adding UN Class 3 (flammable liquids) cos you’d then be covered for most refinery work.

The below course would me I could transport fuel in a class two tanker. I.e. Delivering to farms homes etc?

UN 1202 — Gas oil or diesel fuel or heating oil, light
UN 1203 — Gasoline or petrol or motor spirit
UN 1223 — Kerosene
UN 1863 — Fuel, aviation, turbine engines

Nighthawk.:
The below course would me I could transport fuel in a class two tanker. I.e. Delivering to farms homes etc?

UN 1202 — Gas oil or diesel fuel or heating oil, light
UN 1203 — Gasoline or petrol or motor spirit
UN 1223 — Kerosene
UN 1863 — Fuel, aviation, turbine engines

Hi Nighthawk,

The list you’ve written looks like it’s come from a cut down version of a DGSA course.

Let’s sort a couple of things out for you… :wink:

The type of driving licence ( Eg: Cat “C” or Cat “C+E”) is nothing to do with this discussion, because an ADR licence licences the PERSON to carry dangerous goods in packages and/or tankers, regardless of their driving licence entitlement.
For instance, I can think of some ADR regulated loads that would fit in a normal car, so as long as you have the correct licence for the type of vehicle, then that’s all there is to it from a driving licence point of view.

Now we can look at your question… :smiley:

You’d like to carry the substances you’ve mentioned, but in a tanker right?

If that’s all you want to do then all you need from an ADR point of view is:

ADR Core module
ADR Tanks module
ADR UN Class 3 (flammable liquids) module [then you could carry any and all flammable liquids in UN Class 3]

As far as DCPC is concerned, you could get either 7 or 14hrs, depending on the way that the provider has it registered.

Once you’ve got your ADR licence, you then use it to drive whatever driving licence category vehicle that you’re licenced for, and you would NOT need to take any further action regarding your ADR licence if you decided to do a driving licence upgrade from Cat C to Cat C+E.

Now we’ve got that sorted, it is entirely optional (= YOUR choice) as to whether (or not) you take exams for any other ADR modules, but I’d recommend that you at least consider the packages module and the UN Class 2 (gases) module, because they will give you a lot more flexibility of choice when it comes to the type of work that you’re licenced to do.

You could (if you choose) sit through the rest of the ADR course purely for DCPC purposes and kill several birds with one stone because although the ADR course and the DCPC element are linked, they aren’t actually welded together. That will save you ADR tuition fees (usually dearer than DCPC tuition fees) and any related ADR exams at a marking fee of £20 per exam for stuff that you don’t actually want or need. :wink:

I hope this helps. :smiley:

dieseldave:
Now we’ve got that sorted, it is entirely optional (= YOUR choice) as to whether (or not) you take exams for any other ADR modules, but I’d recommend that you at least consider the packages module and the UN Class 2 (gases) module, because they will give you a lot more flexibility of choice when it comes to the type of work that you’re licenced to do.

I agree, that way you could carry Propane (UN1978) which is possibly just as common a delivery as heating oil.

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldave:

I agree, that way you could carry Propane (UN1978) which is possibly just as common a delivery as heating oil.

That’s spot-on mate!!

If Nighthawk considers the UN Class 2 module and the packages module, he can follow his dream of ■■■■■■■ gas cylinders around in the depths of Winter.

Now for the clever bit (known only to those who know that an ADR course is customisable :wink: ) if he takes the UN Class 2 module, but NOT the packages module… when the boss is looking for a cylinder truck driver, Nighthawk can honestly say to the boss “sorry boss, but I’m not licenced for that” and then keep his hands clean and crack on with the tanker job!! :laughing: :grimacing: :smiley:

That’s brilliant thank you for all the info

Nighthawk.:
That’s brilliant thank you for all the info

That’s no problem mate, at least you can now make an informed choice, and possibly save some pennies too!! :smiley:

JaxDemon:
£350 at one place near me and 250 at another in West Bromwich.

I was gonna get it because my new work place require me to have it however as they won’t pay for my time off I may as well wait 3 months and wait for them to pay for it. Not prepared to lose nearly a 1k for something they’ll pay for.

More then likely got a hall booked out and waiting for 100 people to train lol