ADR is it worth it?

JaxDemon:
£350 at one place near me and 250 at another in West Bromwich.

I was gonna get it because my new work place require me to have it however as they won’t pay for my time off I may as well wait 3 months and wait for them to pay for it. Not prepared to lose nearly a 1k for something they’ll pay for.

Hi JaxDemon,

It’s best to consider this question as two separate ideas.
1.) Being paid to go on the course
2.) Paying for the course itself

1.)
If your firm sends you, then they should pay for the course as well as paying you for your time.

The test is… do you have the option to refuse and go to the pub/bookies instead?

If you’re SENT there by the boss, then you’d be on a disciplinary for not attending… right■■?
If you’re SENT there by the boss, then you’re acting upon an instruction given to you as part of your contract of employment by… THE BOSS, so you should be paid and it also counts as ‘working time.’
The boss can’t have this one both ways. :wink:

If you go to the course under your own idea, then you can’t expect to be paid for it.

===================================

2.)
Both of the above are regardless of who pays for the course because that’s a separate discussion.
That discussion is easy… if the boss sends you, then he pays.
If you send yourself, then you pay.

JaxDemon:

JaxDemon:

I was gonna get it because my new work place require me to have it however as they won’t pay for my time off I may as well wait 3 months and wait for them to pay for it. Not prepared to lose nearly a 1k for something they’ll pay for.

More then likely got a hall booked out and waiting for 100 people to train lol

I can see where you’re coming from, but SQA will not allow more than 20 candidates per ADR course, so a provider trying to book more than 20 on an ADR course is on a non-starter.

I start mine on Monday coming. Looking forward to it to be honest. £420 including 21 hours driver training.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

just wondered if it is worth going for class 7 just on the off chance there might be an opportunity that comes up, maybe combined with hiab. I’m thinking of things like machinery that might be classed as SCO or LSA?

Does anyone know what the learning material is? I know once there was a document that covered radioactives but can’t find any trace of it anymore.

LE1erRE:
just wondered if it is worth going for class 7 just on the off chance there might be an opportunity that comes up, maybe combined with hiab. I’m thinking of things like machinery that might be classed as SCO or LSA?

Does anyone know what the learning material is? I know once there was a document that covered radioactives but can’t find any trace of it anymore.

Hi LE1erRE,

If you only want UN Class 7, the learning is 1.5 days for the ADR core module, plus one day for the Class 7 module plus two ADR exams.

The learning material must be given to you by the provider in the form of a handout.

My honest advice… I’d swerve a speculative punt on UN Class 7 because it’s relatively expensive, the scenario you described is fairly unlikely, Class 7 is pretty much a closed shop and anybody who wants you to carry Class 7 will happily send you for the training.

Thanks dieseldave.

So there is no need to for tanks and/or packages with class 7?

Also I know there isn’t an ADR requirement (from what I understand) to carry certain types of radioactive material, can’t help thinking that it might be an advantage to have it anyway. Things like hospital driving even though probably not LGV might prove handy.

To be honest I only ask because there is nothing else about the ADR that appeals to me. Don’t want tanks. Chances of getting fuel tanker work is probably miniscule especially if popular among more experienced drivers. Don’t fancy doing any of the other classes. If it takes some of the CPC hours and have something to put on CV I don’t mind the expense too much. Plus, I suppose most importantly, it looks interesting and being a bookish sort of person I wouldn’t mind learning more about this niche area. A job would be a bonus but not essential.

LE1erRE:
Thanks dieseldave.

So there is no need to for tanks and/or packages with class 7?

Also I know there isn’t an ADR requirement (from what I understand) to carry certain types of radioactive material, can’t help thinking that it might be an advantage to have it anyway. Things like hospital driving even though probably not LGV might prove handy.

To be honest I only ask because there is nothing else about the ADR that appeals to me. Don’t want tanks. Chances of getting fuel tanker work is probably miniscule especially if popular among more experienced drivers. Don’t fancy doing any of the other classes. If it takes some of the CPC hours and have something to put on CV I don’t mind the expense too much. Plus, I suppose most importantly, it looks interesting and being a bookish sort of person I wouldn’t mind learning more about this niche area. A job would be a bonus but not essential.

Hi LE1erRE,

No mate, there’s no need to do tanks or packs if you just want Class 7 (the same applies to Class 1 too) because the packaging requirements are dealt with in the Class 7 (or Class 1) module. If you wanted to carry either in a tank, then you’d have to take the tanker module because that’s always separate.

You’re right about the “certain types of radioactive material” because they’ll probably be what ADR calls ‘excepted packages.’
(The term ‘excepted package’ has a special meaning in ADR.)

dieseldave:

JaxDemon:

Hi JaxDemon,

It’s best to consider this question as two separate ideas.
1.) Being paid to go on the course
2.) Paying for the course itself

1.)
If your firm sends you, then they should pay for the course as well as paying you for your time.

The test is… do you have the option to refuse and go to the pub/bookies instead?

If you’re SENT there by the boss, then you’d be on a disciplinary for not attending… right■■?
If you’re SENT there by the boss, then you’re acting upon an instruction given to you as part of your contract of employment by… THE BOSS, so you should be paid and it also counts as ‘working time.’
The boss can’t have this one both ways. :wink:

If you go to the course under your own idea, then you can’t expect to be paid for it.

===================================

2.)
Both of the above are regardless of who pays for the course because that’s a separate discussion.
That discussion is easy… if the boss sends you, then he pays.
If you send yourself, then you pay.

Was seriously not expecting a reply like that lol.